104 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Bill- glad you made it back from your trip. We should catch up...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

I did HAVE to add a Helwig Big Wig rear sway bar.  My F-350 did not have the FX4 package, so it did not come with a rear sway bar.  A rear sway bar is a must with a camper in the bed IMO.

Those are the only upgrades I've performed on my 2016 F-350.

How much difference did the Big Wig make? I'm about to install one.

#23 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

Ours is a 3/4t truck and I'm probably alone in this, but I don't feel a need for a 1t, a rear sway bar, or air springs. The stock springs under our '96 CTD have worked fine once we put a set of application specific

Bilstein 5165's under the truck. I did ask the local 4x4 shop to do something about the under-ride type over-load leaves as they made the rear ride like a buckboard. With them now more or less out of the picture the truck rides much, much better and sits level. 50-70 mph over washboard at pavement tire pressure is no big deal, can do it all day long and never feel out of control or that we're beating up on things.

As to no rear sway-bar, I learned to drive in a Saab 96. When driven hard those heel over like a sailboat. A little lean in the corners does not bother me and I've never felt like the transient response was going to put me out of control. The truck is pretty "flat" at the edge of cornering traction, can push it over a little and pull it back fairly easily. Unlike, say, my old Pinto Wagon which when it went over the edge was nearly unrecoverable.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#24 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

I did HAVE to add a Helwig Big Wig rear sway bar. My F-350 did not have the FX4 package, so it did not come with a rear sway bar. A rear sway bar is a must with a camper in the bed IMO.

Like you, we have a newer F350 without the FX4 package. When we had our Grandby, I did not feel that airbags or a sway bar were needed. I think that camper weighed about 1400-1500 pounds. We sold the Grandby and bought a Northern Lite (more room makes for happy bride) with a dry weight of 2700 pounds. For starters we added airbags to level out the truck. It did a good job of leveling things, but there was still a lot of sway. We then added the Big Wig, and it made a world of difference.

On the topic of biodiesel, my old 7.3 loved it, but with the 6.7 I avoid it unless there are no other options.

I am haunted by waters

#25 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

A one ton used truck will be more difficult to source than a 3/4 ton. You will find more choices in the 3/4 ton trucks and have an easier time sourcing the "exact" model you are seeking. But, if you are patient and willing to consider traveling or purchasing long distance, you will find either eventually.

Full Disclosure: I provide this information with over 30 years in the trenches as a used vehicle wholesale dealer. Figure out what you need/want, remain patient, search vigilantly and you will be rewarded.

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:07 PM

Ours is a 3/4t truck and I'm probably alone in this, but I don't feel a need for a 1t, a rear sway bar, or air springs. The stock springs under our '96 CTD have worked fine once we put a set of application specific Bilstein 5165's under the truck.  50-70 mph over washboard at pavement tire pressure is no big deal, can do it all day long and never feel out of control or that we're beating up on things.

Not to hijak the thread... but....

I have a 3/4 as well with a pretty well equipped Hawk Shell.  Handles very well, but there is a tad of "wallow" when going through dips on the road at highway speeds that I would like to eliminate.  There are new Bilstein 5100 on it now, but they seem to struggle in this ONE area of ride control  Can you compare the "off the shelf" 5100 to the "Application Specific" 5165's?

Cornering is almost flat as is, so no need for a sway bar.

Keep in mind I am coming from driving an M3 and very tricked out Miata's, so my handling expectations are very high.

#27 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

Not to hijak the thread... but....

I have a 3/4 as well with a pretty well equipped Hawk Shell. Handles very well, but there is a tad of "wallow" when going through dips on the road at highway speeds that I would like to eliminate. There are new Bilstein 5100 on it now, but they seem to struggle in this ONE area of ride control Can you compare the "off the shelf" 5100 to the "Application Specific" 5165's?

Cornering is almost flat as is, so no need for a sway bar.

Keep in mind I am coming from driving an M3 and very tricked out Miata's, so my handling expectations are very high.

On my F250 I replaced the rear Bilstein 4600's with adjustable Rancho 9000's. Cranked up to max (1-9 range), they got rid of most of the wallowing on dips and uneven roads. I crank them down when off-roading.

#28 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:07 PM

Okie Dokie,

Since we are revisiting I have a couple questions.

From what I have seen there is a difference between the 250's and 350's. The rear leaf springs have more leafs in the 350 than the 250. That was the main reason I was considering a 250 with the camper option. It adds a spring in the rear and does something to the front....heavier springs maybe?

Soooo finding one with a camper package is tough and usually not what I want. So I have been scouring for 350 gassers in the Lariat package with the off road stuff.

They have been nearly impossible to find. For some reason most dealers assume if you want a 350 gasser you want Oxford White XL. Ugh

So today I stumbled on a nice Lariat Crew Cab 8ft box in another state of course..... It is near a wildlife refuge so I may bite the bullet and go look at it and hopefully get some good shooting in also.

Now a couple questions...yes finally :)

Should I find what I want without the off road stuff and super duper shocks and sway bars is that something I can get done without voiding any warranties and is it really necessary for a pop up, possibly an Alaskan?

Is the 350 the best option as the 250's are more available especially in gas.

Does anyone have the winning lottery numbers for this week so I can forego worrying about any of this crap......

Thank you for your kind attention :P

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:19 PM

?.....
Now a couple questions...yes finally :)

Should I find what I want without the off road stuff and super duper shocks and sway bars is that something I can get done without voiding any warranties and is it really necessary for a pop up, possibly an Alaskan?

Is the 350 the best option as the 250's are more available especially in gas.

Does anyone have the winning lottery numbers for this week so I can forego worrying about any of this crap......

Thank you for your kind attention :P

Here"s my very humble opinion....
The stock shocks on a SD are junk anyway so I would not let it concern you in your purchase. Buy some Bilsteins r other quality shocks and call it a day. You can also add the Helwig sway bar easily.
The 350 is the best option imho but you can make a 250 work.
The winning lottery numbers are ...3, 18, 27, 43, 44, 56 and the powerball is 11

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Hi Jackie,

I think that (for most popup campers) just adding air bags to level it would be all you would need for a F250, but if you find you have sway, then a Helwig Big Wig sway bar would be next.  My Ford dealer put the sway bar on my truck, and I asked the service manager about warranty issues prior to doing that.   He said we would be covered.   Even though I recommend a F350, the F250 would be perfectly fine.   If you can get the off road package and camper option, do!!!!

My 2 cents worth, and I am sticking to it...   Unless I change my mind.

Steve

Post script:   Do remember that a long bed CC is a very long truck...

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users