• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Rando. I'm looking closely at that NOCO Genius G3500 on Amazon.

Is that 3.5 amp the correct model for my Hawk and its two batteries?

#22 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

If AGM batteries, good read here.

I do not keep my AGMs on a maintainer.  On an as needed basis, I plug into shore power, monitor the battery state.  I remove shore power once I have a full charge or when battery temp reaches 115F.  I have a small, surface mounted thermometer on top of one of the batteries.

Yes that is a good read. Thanks!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Thanks, guys. Can we make this simple and just post some Amazon links as to what I need? :D

Vic ... I got that controller photo off the internet. Its not actually mine. Mine is just like it though.

Let's go back to the original posting.  You said you leave it plugged into shore power.  That might be enough.... if you have the FWC stock IOTA with IQ4 installed.

http://www.iotaengin...g.com/dls30.htm

http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

Is your camper so equipped?

As I pointed out in my ponderings about all things FWC/ATC electrical,

http://www.wanderthe... +power +scotty

the IQ4 is not ideal, but if you have one already, just keep plugging it in to shore power and fuggedaboutit.

#24 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:51 AM

Let's go back to the original posting.  You said you leave it plugged into shore power.  That might be enough.... if you have the FWC stock IOTA with IQ4 installed.

http://www.iotaengin...g.com/dls30.htm

http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm

Is your camper so equipped?

It is not supplied as far as I know ... unless it's tucked up out of sight somewhere in cabinetry ... I highly doubt it.

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

Whatever brand battery maintainer we have, either a 'Minder or a 'Tender, it uses the SAE connectors like FWC uses for solar to swap between clamps or dedicated ring terminals. I mounted ours permanently next to the battery box and hard wired it such that the TriMetric 'sees' its output. Even bought the battery temperature sensor for the unit. Have not installed it as I have used the battery charger maybe 2 times since installing the solar. That said, I'm including a dedicated 120 VAC outlet for it in the IP complete re-wire project as pulling it's cord out and stretching it diagonally across the kitchen area to the lone 120 VAC outlet in the camper was not earning me any Brownie Points.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

Thom,  Let me know if  you find a good affordable external AC power inlet.  

Bombsight, In this pic you can see my NOCO 7200.  The 3500 gives you 1/2 the current = 3.5 A.  This is a very slow charge, fine for maintaining, but very slow if you are trying to take advantage of plugging in at a campground.

inside batt Box

#27 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

I use an old laptop battery charger plugged into my solar input when I don't feel like dragging my panels out to charge my portable setup. I also do not charge it all the time. If I am not using it I charge once a month, let it draw 3 or so amps (2 35 AH batts in parallel for 70 AH) for 4 or 5 hours or until it isn't really drawing anything.

I can't explain why I do it that way except I feel it works the batteries a bit more by letting them discharge a bit before charging them. There is not real draw but they naturally lose some Voltage....

They are usually at 12.6-12.8 when I charge them so no real stress on them. I just hate always keeping them topped off, I think it is good to let them "breathe" a little. Just my thoughts, YMMV :)

I cannot say if this prolongs anything as I only built this little system last year. Guess I'll know in a few years,,,lol

Edited by Happyjax, 15 July 2017 - 11:55 PM.

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#28 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:06 AM

It is not supplied as far as I know ... unless it's tucked up out of sight somewhere in cabinetry ... I highly doubt it.

Bombsight,

From the FWC website under standard features for new models:

30 amp Power Converter w/ IQ4 Smart Charger

The picture for the feature shows the IOTA label on the converter.

#29 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Here's a picture of the Noco terminals hard wired to the batteries...Sorry for the sideways pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0665.JPG

Edited by smlobx, 16 July 2017 - 08:32 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#30 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

Bombsight,

From the FWC website under standard features for new models:

30 amp Power Converter w/ IQ4 Smart Charger

The picture for the feature shows the IOTA label on the converter.

You have me curious now, Andy. I'm going to go look for that as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks for the wiring pic, smlobx!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery, Maintenance, Life, Storage, care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users