14 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

There is another good thread going on right now:

http://www.wanderthe...-vs-roof-solar/

But I read through that and it has evolved into a discussion mainly about after market solar options.  My questions are about the stock offerings of AWC.

Are the solar charge controllers that come with the individual 160w roof panel and the 80w portable panel, as well as the bundled package of both panels, all the same controller?  I ask because as we plan out our purchase of a new Hawk, it seems like we can get away initially with the 160w panel and then add a portable panel if our configuration and usage needs it, and I am hoping that with getting the 160w option, adding a portable panel later is as simple as just plugging it in, rather than having to upgrade the controller.

To delve into that further, what are our options for adding a portable panel to be used with the plug on the back of the Hawk with the 160w option installed at the factory?  How big a portable panel can be added to that controller along with the 160w panel?  I've already looked into the proprietary Zamp plug and how to easily defeat it and use other brands of panels, but I am curious about the full range of possibilities.

We visited the FWC factory in Woodland last week and were really impressed with the product and the staff.  But one thing that is sorely lacking with them is a detailed website.  I can't imagine trying to plan a purchase if we didn't live close enough to visit the showroom.  I am assuming the 80w portable panel is a Zamp panel, and all of the Zamp panels I looked at online seem to be pretty bulky.  I am hoping the 160w panel will be enough, but if it isn't, I would like to add a lighter portable panel that won't take up too much storage space and doesn't require any big changes to the stock wiring/controller.

#2 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:55 PM

I think a 30a controller is standard now and it will handle up to 510w of solar.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#3 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:40 AM

Kind of off topic - but as has been discussed before, I would think twice about the FWC solar package.    It is a lot of money for a fairly middle of the road system.    You can easily piece together a better system yourself in an afternoon for ~1/3 the money.   This is particularly true of the portable system - a 100W 'suitcase' panel runs ~$200.   Anyway, something to think about. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#4 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:18 AM

Kind of off topic - but as has been discussed before, I would think twice about the FWC solar package.    It is a lot of money for a fairly middle of the road system.    You can easily piece together a better system yourself in an afternoon for ~1/3 the money.   This is particularly true of the portable system - a 100W 'suitcase' panel runs ~$200.   Anyway, something to think about. 

Believe me, I have thought twice about it.  I am a huge DIY guy, but all I know about solar is that the panel thingies snatch the magic pixies out of the sky and then force them into the battery to do slave labor.  If I was getting the FWC just for me, I would be doing a lot of my own things with it.  But my wife is just as excited about it as I am and it is for both of us.  What I'm getting at is that if something goes wrong when we are out on the road, it will be FWC's fault and not mine.  But it doesn't take the sting out of those costs.

#5 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:22 AM

And I came up with another question:

Does anyone know where the 160w panel is mounted on the roof of a Hawk if your order the extra vent?

#6 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

My portable panel is a Renogy 100w bendable panel. Weights 2.5 lbs and is less than a 1/4" thick. Just lays on the bed for transport, puts out excellent power. I've had it for two years.

My 160w sits between the vents, attached to the Yakima tracks.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

And I came up with another question:

Does anyone know where the 160w panel is mounted on the roof of a Hawk if your order the extra vent?

They mount the panels on the Yakima tracks now, I believe and the panel is between the vents. I have an Eagle which has a much smaller roof and I have 3 100w panels; the factory one between the vents and 2 flexible panels, one each in front of the front vent and behind the rear vent.

I doubt a second vent will be an issue when adding more than the one factory panel.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

#8 Power Wagon

Power Wagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHeart of Dixie

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

What I'm getting at is that if something goes wrong when we are out on the road, it will be FWC's fault and not mine. But it doesn't take the sting out of those costs.

Maybe... maybe not. I have not seen FWCs warranty, as I bought an older camper, but I am guessing it is like most others. FWC warrants the camper, but the components are warranted by their respective manufacturers. Warranty services are hard to come by on the road. I feel certain that if you install your own system you will do a proper job and if you diy you will understand the system and it's components if a problem arises. Win - win

Edited by Power Wagon, 13 July 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#9 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

For what it's worth I had a problem with my propane detector and FWC replaced it for me, so I think they're pretty good about standing by the entire unit, components and all.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#10 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Of course being a total spaz, I now want to do the solar myself.  It seems pretty foolproof with FWC providing the wiring anyway, and having them install the tracks.

Looking at the Renogy RV kits on amazon, it seems like that is a pretty good option, but I know I will have to obsessively research some more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar Panel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users