• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

I think you can do even better than the renogy kits for about the same money - look at CKents shopping list posted elsewhere for some ideas.   You also don't need the mounting feet if you are getting Yakima tracks. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#12 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

I have to remember that others don't want to go through the trouble of installing any solar panel(s) by themselves.  I bought my '15 Fleet used, it came with a 160w panel and frankly, it is awesome.  But I am in sunny CA and that matters.  But I agree also with others that want to DIY for whatever reason they want to.  FWC does better than most on this issue as I have seen so far in the RV theater.  The panel was there and it works great, if you don't want to hassle doing it, buy it with or have it put on by them (you get a warranty too afterall).  I have no problem with someone who does that.  I think we should all feel that way, as I would rather have someone who can't install it themself, get one installed by FWC and save the sound of a generator next to my campsite and/or the cost of propane, trips to get refills, and it's by product (if you use electric powered units instead).  Solar is infinitely available at the right time, gas is not.  Soak up the sun in the day, power your rig at night.

#13 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

Any ridgid panel around 150 watts will be heavy (our is 26 pounds), Mount it close to the rear vent to balance the weight between the two lifting ends. I did not do that so have to use the "speaker lift" as the struts won't lift the front by itself.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#14 gypsykid

gypsykid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

And I came up with another question:

Does anyone know where the 160w panel is mounted on the roof of a Hawk if your order the extra vent?

Hi, my wife and I are living full time in our Hawk flatbed, since last august, we have the zamp 160w panel on the roof. We haven't been plugged in since last september, we did have the portable zamp panel as well but sold it as it was to big and bought a smaller portable panel 120w from overland solar.com, folds up nicely and is a great product. I can't figure out how to upload a picture of where our solar sits between the 2 fans. I'd be happy to talk to you more in depth about the warranty issues and what we've experienced so far, this may help you in your decision process. Were on instagram @kidandgypsy or you can email me at lawnboytor@yahoo.ca

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:42 PM

And I came up with another question:

Does anyone know where the 160w panel is mounted on the roof of a Hawk if your order the extra vent?

'16 Hawk with two powered vents...and Zamp 160w roof rack mounted and 80w plug in portable solar panels...all FWC OEM items...love the entire set-up...I could not install any of the options items on our Hawk better than the factory and they all flat out work great.they know their business.  We are off grid campers and the solar set-up has kept us in electrical juice even without the help of the Electrical Fairies/Pixies mentioned by Andy.. :D

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 08 August 2017 - 07:45 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar Panel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users