Photo
- - - - -

Front Bumpers, Winches and Lights-Thoughts, Opinions Experience, etc.

Bumper lights driving lights

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

I am looking for insight and opinions on front bumpers, winches and driving lights.  I have looked but can't seem to find a decent thread on the topic.

I drive a 2015 Tundra and have pretty much boiled my decision on a bumper down to an Expedition One with the pre-runner hoops .  I would like to consider ARB but am tired of waiting for them to come out with a bumper that will fit my truck.  Besides, Expedition One is offering 20% off on all their bumper orders through the end of July so I should move quickly!

• Thoughts and opinions on bumper selection appreciated.  What do you have and why?
  • Considering Smittybilt winch-could wear out three before paying for the Warn
  • Lights-Expedition One offers PIAA and Baja Designs for my truck-anybody with experience with these brands-light up trails, failures, life expectancy, etc.  Looking at fogs for the ports and something on top-will accommodate up to 3 8" lights on top of bumper.

I am really having a hard time with the lights since I have never owned a truck with these types of lights.  The reviews and videos are spotty at best.

Give us your opinions, post pictures etc! Thanks!

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:46 AM

I havent posted much here but have some experience with your query. I'm going to focus on your first paragraph although it sounds as if you've pretty much decided that you will be purchasing a bumper.

Bumper: I have an ARB Sahara mounted to my '96 Dodge Ram. I like it...a lot. I installed it myself without a bunch of drama.
Winch: Warn 15k. Works well. It's a beast, slow but steady. The Smittybilt I originally bought for it didn't fit.
Lights: IPF fogs fitted into the bumper (controlled by factory fog switch) with LightForce HIDs on the deck of the bumper.

Would I do it all again? Maybe not. I'd ask myself some really hard questions about my intended use and how often I would really use the items. The HIDs (or newer LEDs) are a no-brainer for me...absolutely! But the bumper and winch brought some unanticipated issues. Weight...I've chased front spring and steering issues since the installation. Granted, I'm driving an older 1/2- ton truck not really meant for that type of load. Count on an extra 250 lbs cantilevered out over the nose of the truck. The additional expense and headache of chasing those issues over the years has been frustrating. I've NEVER used the winch to pull myself out...others, yes.

What I'm getting at is to make sure you're really going to NEED those items versus WANTING those items. Take real stock of your planned use for the majority of your intended trips. If you think you "might" need a winch someday, then maybe consider a set or two of MaxTrax instead. Cheaper and LIGHTER. If I'm just blowing hot air here and you know you're going to get them, then you're lucky. There are a ton of outfits building parts for Tundras. Too bad ARB doesn't have your particular model year, they make great products that are well tested and certified. You might want to call or email ARB USA and ask them if they have a bumper for your application in the design pipeline. CBI out of Idaho also comes to mind. Google is your friend here.

As for Warn or other high-end winches...buy once, cry once. I'd stay away from low end winches. And while I like my HIDs I'd probably opt for the newer technology of the LEDs. Again, source from proven companies even if the price point is higher. You're often paying for the additional piece of mind and customer service that goes with it.

Looking forward to whatever you decide to do with your truck. Cheers!

Richard
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:30 AM

For the newbie in the winch department......

Is a bumper and winch combination that much better than the mount that attaches to the receiver hitch? I would guess it would be more secure but is it stronger?

I like the idea of self rescue but I hope to avoid situations that would require it.....

Anyway it and many other things are on the table. Not sure they will make it to the rig but never hurts to ponder :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:28 AM

I am probably more interested in lights than in winches and a bumper seems to be a good place to mount them.  I've never needed a winch but I have avoided places I wanted to go because I knew I would be knee deep in the big muddy if things went south.

Twice in the last year I found myself driving at night despite my best intentions and it was not much fun.  I would have been a lot happier with more and better lighting both times.  Seems the older I get, the more I need them.  In March, I had planned on staying at a beach just south of Guerro Negro, MX.  I found a nice spot on the beach and just when I started to set up, two coyotes showed up and "freaked out" the Mrs. She informed me that we needed a new campsite for the evening.  We have seen plenty of coyotes but these two guys were a little off.  Plenty of daylight left but they were there and just a tad bit odd.  So, I beat feet for Catavina.  I knew it was a bit of a drive and it would be after dark when I arrived but I wasn't too concerned since I knew the road.  Unfortunately, the passes we needed to navigate (not really mountainous but at elevation) were fogged in and rainy and we were out there a lot longer than we anticipated.  Add in a very late rising,  and waning moon, no stars due to cloud cover and it was very dark out there in the middle of nowhere.

I don't plan to drive at night but life happens.

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:12 AM

I"m still happy with my Hella 4000's  Incandescent but who cares when they're running off the alternator.  A couple cheapie HIDS round out the lighting. Weight was the number one reason I went with an aluminum winch bumper. Can't say I was impressed with Aluminess but it seems my experience may not be the norm. Its ugly but stout and should withstand a deer hit. I went with a cheap chinese winch and since I've yet to use it I can't weight in there yet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Not sure if Warn makes one for your vehicle but I have the Warn Hidden winch bumper on my Super duty. I like the fact it keeps the actual bumper front of my stock look. With added fascia it's goes pretty unnoticeable :) I do not krawl my truck but it does see off road and some tough trails. I have never had an issue. The Warn mount is VERY tough and only the chrome steel from the stock is left. Thus far my winch has only been used to assist others. However, it's nice knowing I have if needed for self recovery.

Attached Thumbnails

• frontinstalled.jpg

#7 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:56 PM

I'm going to echo Mighty Dodge Ram. I've had all the above and on my current truck have chosen not to add bumpers and such. Lot of weight on a 1/2 ton that's already carrying a camper. I did install a front hitch so I can use my winch there if needed. Or for storing my bikes and rack when camped.

I have a 9,500lb Superwinch on a Bulldog mount. I have yet to use it. Realistically I figure it will get more use on my property than in the field.

HJ A winch bumper keeps the winch tucked in higher and tighter than the front hitch. It also protects the truck. I winch in a front hitch works but it's not a full time solution to me for someone who winches a lot. Occasional use it's fine. You also need to decide if you are going to store the winch in the hitch or somewhere in the vehicle when traveling.

#8 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

Before my desert trip this spring I had HIDs put into the stock locations on my Tundra.  What a difference!  I was incredibly happy with the lo beams and fogs, the hi beams not so much as there wasn't that much difference and there is the warm up time associated with HIDs.  These pics are me going past a semi early in the morning on I-15 between Pocatello and SLC, My lights pretty well wash the semi's lights out.  BTW, I also had them wired so the fogs stay on even when the hi beams are on.

20170318 061739
20170318 061738

Edited by Cayuse, 15 July 2017 - 02:04 PM.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#9 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

I would guess one advantage of a receiver mount is you could use it on the front or back of the truck depending on the rescue situation?

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

http://www.danielste.../fog_lamps.html

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bumper, lights, driving lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users