Photo
- - - - -

Front Bumpers, Winches and Lights-Thoughts, Opinions Experience, etc.

Bumper lights driving lights

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#11 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Instead of a bumper might look into a "light bar" that will bolt to the OEM bumper and easily allow more lights.

I NEVER install fog lights. They are always "Auxiliary lights" though they very likely are a fog type of lens/reflector. The reason is that fog lights are only legal in KA to be on with low beams and I typically use them to "fill-in" the near stuff when the highs are on. "Driving lights" are only legal with the high's on, so I never install those either. Its all semantics, but it may become important if a LEO asks about your auxiliary lighting.

A trick that I saw used on a serious pre-runner with a lot of lighting was a master switch. It powered up the control circuits for the all of the light relays. Turning it off, like for on-coming traffic or lights in a trucker's mirrors, killed all of the secondary lights. Could turn it on, select the lights desired, and when needed turn them all off and back on with one switch.

I'm not a fan of LED lighting because the blue tint of the light looks "hollow" to me. Almost like its light, but not really LIGHT. Can't explain it any other way.

I have a set of HID's and a set of lights that were incandescent that are almost converted to HID. The difference between 100W incandescent and 35W HID in the same lens/reflector is impressive! Been thinking on where to mount the HID's on the camper. Up on the leading edge of the cab-over would be the most effective, but the mounting options there are limited or become a complicated fabrication for something we'll likely rarely use.

As to brands of lights, I've used Bosch, Hella, some ancient Dick Cepek's, and old school landing light bulb KC's. A friend has two sets of PIAA's that he really likes. I look to see what is used in off road racing or rally racing, both of which I see as a decent barometer of good lights vs. not good. Baja Designs has been used extensively in off road racing on both 2 and 4 wheels. As have Hella and KC. Rigid Industries has a good name, but I've no experience with them. Warn's lights are supposedly made by IPF, which has a decent name in lights (though mostly unknown in the Sates), but those that I saw were not impressive at all.

Some of Dan's "white pages" are OK, others I disagree with most or all of his points. I'll never buy anything from him as I got a serious run-around the one time that I did try to buy from him. I wanted a light that he carried, I wasn't going to justify what I was using them for to him.

Where a receiver mount winch gets iffy on strength is when pulling sideways. Trailer hitches aren't designed for that high of a torsional loading as a trailer just can't generate it. This is why most cradles have a max winch capacity limit. Getting battery power to the winch is not difficult, but does involve large cables and connectors. That expense multiplies if you want to run it at the rear.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

My driving lights have a separate on off switch and the relays receive control power from the stock hi beams making it easy and quick to dim them if (rare) I'm running them on the pavement. 

I agree with Dan about running fogs with high beams on the highway. Offroad is another story and yes, he can be a pita to deal with. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

I have a pair of Rigid Dually 'ditch lights' mounted on my hood by the windshield  on a separate switch that are handy offroad. I also have ARB lights on my front bumper and one is a driving light and one is a fog light. They only come on when the hi beam is on and have a separate switch also.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#14 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Daniel Stern is the man!  He really knows lighting and won't steer you wrong.

Another great forum for learning about lighting is candlepowerforums.com in the automotive lighting section.  Lots of solid reliable info there.  But be warned - the moderators are pretty harsh on newbies asking dumb questions and if you even remotely suggest something the slightest bit illegal they will be all over you.

Something I learned there is that most of what is available in aftermarket lighting is JUNK.  Cheap stuff throws out a ton a light with a lot of scatter.  Looks great but actually makes it harder to see.  Cheap Chinese light bars are the worst!

I'm looking at a pair of JW Speaker TS4000 aux driving lights.  Excellent quality at about $500/pair.  Truck Lites makes good stuff too.  

Good luck.

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#15 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:56 AM

Thank you to all who have contributed to this topic so far.  There is a lot of very good intel here and much to think about!

#16 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

All those things are budget dependent...

Having said that:

I went with a TrailReady front bumper. I don't think they are making a bumper for '14 and later.  Not sure why TR and ARB aren't producing them to date.  Toyota front of truck design limitations?

Warn winch with Spydura synthetic rope.  Warn shackles.  ARB largest tree saver.

Factor 55 ProLink.

4x Rigid Series E series 4" lights in the bumper, 2 floods, 2 spots.

Edited by Advmoto18, 17 July 2017 - 07:55 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#17 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Might be that the Tundra is primarily a North American truck?

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#18 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:01 AM

Might be that the Tundra is primarily a North American truck?

Trail Ready bumpers are made in Idaho. ( I think, NW for sure).

South Carolina Low Country.  

#19 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:41 AM

I am in similar boat. I just moved from a built Xterra (with ARB bumper and Superwinch TS 9500) and have bought a 2014 Tundra. My initial plans are for suspension and tires, but some sort of winch capable bumper will be going on at some point. Lightweight is a new thought. The Superwinch on the X served me very well, never let me down, so if a larger one fits ill likely look hard at that brand again.

#20 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

Trail Ready bumpers are made in Idaho. ( I think, NW for sure).

CBI makes a nice bumper and they're in Idaho too but don't make them for the Tundra. What I meant is that most of what I call North American trucks never get on a dirt road except in a commercial so maybe they don't see a market. I know I've never seen a Tundra on the trail.

Marketing decisions aren't always right but they determine what products you see.
Charlie...
Stalking Light

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bumper, lights, driving lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users