Photo
- - - - -

Fleet roof measurements for solar panel install?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 Sharx

Sharx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

Williak,

Thanks for the additional pics and info. I think Solar is still so new to MFG's they are still trying to figure out the best ways to "bring it" to us users. We seem to be designing and buliding Mods for them to consider before they can R & D it and then manufacture it so not surprised a lot of needed info is still N/A. I saw another panel install that had a bracket like you'd see on a chaise lounge chair where it had holes every so many inches so that one could angle the panel at different degrees by raking the the bar at different positions to max out absorption. But that was one way only facing the panel upward towards the back I believe it was. We all park our "poppers" at different angles in the field so having the panel articulate front/back and side/side would be perfect short of a panel that can "follow the sun" like commercial and some home units can now. How 'bout any "engineers" out there, can a mod be made to angle a panel towards the north/south AND east/west. You would need an easy way to lock it down for travel, but be able to disconnect the panel basically on all four corners, Then having 2 bars on each set of sides, be able to rake the panel at the proper angle. Dreamy yes, impossible not. Getting one of the devices to pinpoint the best angle for the sun would be smart as well. But w/o some way to re-position it, you'd have to manually every so often. Boy I wish I had my old garage to tinker on that idea.

#12 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

here's my Fleet with two 100w panels mounted to Yakima tracks

attachicon.gifIMG_0921.JPG

Before installing mine I asked FWC if they had engineering data on the best mounting location for two panels - front and back, front and middle, middle and front.  Never got any specific info.

I also asked given a specific configuration of panels, which roof lifts do they recommend on front and rear.  Again, did not receive any guidance.

I was hoping to hear something like - front and middle is best location for 100 w panels and use 40# lifts in rear and 30# lifts in front.  It seems they don't have that information.

I also carry a flexible 100 w panel for early am or late pm if in camp at that time.

DonC, thanks for more photos of a Fleet with solar. Interesting to mount the panels front and back and not use the big space in the middle. Is that to balance out the weight? Hadn't thought of that, probably because I'm thinking of putting a 150 or 160 in the middle. Could you tell us which flexible panel you have, and where you store it. I was wondering if you could store it under the bed mattress.

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#13 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

So here's my idea for a removable panel mounted on Yak Tracks. Attaching the panels on the aluminum angle "iron" or L-shaped bars seems to be the best method for spanning the tracks, especially for the smaller 100w panels.

Instead of attaching the panel to the aluminum bar at several points, the panel would only be attached at each corner. At one end of the pane, pins would protrude from the side. These pins would slide into a groove you cut into the aluminum bar, or something you bolt to the top of the bar to capture the pin. This would allow no upward or outward movement of that end of the panel. So to secure the panel to the camper you would slide the end of the panel with pins down the aluminum bars until the pins drop into the groove or under the piece added to hold it in place. The end of the panel in your hand could then be secured to the bar with a couple of wing nuts. If you added a slot at this end of the aluminum bar you could leave the bolts and wing nuts attached to the panel. A few turns of the two nuts and you're done.

Hope that makes sense. If I was more of an artist I'd draw it. Better yet, if my ordered camper had arrived yet, and I had a panel in hand I'd build something and take a photo.  :)

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#14 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:12 PM

20170411_123402_resized.jpg 20170401_105853_resized.jpg

I have a 150 watt panel mounted pretty much center just in front of the vent on my Eagle. I made it a point to get a panel wide enough so it would reach the Yakima tracks and then made my own mounting feet. There's no need to run angle all the way across and this helps to keep it as light weight as possible.  Ron

#15 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

Ron, that looks really clean and you have some air space under the panel. 

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#16 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

DonC, thanks for more photos of a Fleet with solar. Interesting to mount the panels front and back and not use the big space in the middle. Is that to balance out the weight? Hadn't thought of that, probably because I'm thinking of putting a 150 or 160 in the middle. Could you tell us which flexible panel you have, and where you store it. I was wondering if you could store it under the bed mattress.

with no direction from FWC, I thought it might be best front and back where the roof lift struts are, but not being an engineer I have no idea if there is any validity to that.  With Yakima racks I can put them anywhere, and they are easy to move if I decide/need to do that.

I was one of the early adopters of the Renogy flexible panels and installed 3 panels, twice, all 6 failed.  And I glued them down which most were doing at the time  So major hassle and expensive.

I now have this panel which was recommened on this forum.  I have it mounted to some styrofoam insulation to provide stiffness, and I just store it along the back seat of my extended cab, so it takes virtually no room.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by DonC, 19 July 2017 - 03:48 PM.

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users