#1 Trout1 Project

Trout1 Project

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

I'm doing trip planning and preparation for a river trip next month and have been searching high and low for Moose Drool In CANS. I can get bottles at Fred Meyer and some Safeways but can not find it in can form. I know it's out there because I stocked up on it at the brewery in Missoula my last drive through. Can't have bottles on the river we're floating.

Any ideas in the Portland Vancouver area would be greatly appreciated.
2007 Nissan Titan
2017 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

Try ABV Public House in Hillsboro exit 61. Go north on Helvetia Rd, East on Jacobson Rd.
You will see "Main Brew" sign when headed west on Sunset just before exit north to Helvetia Rd.

http://abvpub.com/

Main Brew & ABV are connected businesses. Have advertised over 350 different brews in stock. Call & ask if they have your beer.
Alas, no Pliny the Elder, tho. :( (In cans or bottles, that is. The Pub side occasionally gets a keg.)

Paul

Edited by PaulT, 27 July 2017 - 01:26 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:52 AM

Try calling Belmont Station in SE Portland (SE Stark) or John's Market in SW Portland (Multnomah).  They have the largest selection of beers in the state.

#4 dakozicki

dakozicki

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationReno Area

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

I the SF Bay Area, Bev Mo now has a decent selection of craft beer in cans.

• 2007.5 Chevrolet 2500HD Z71 crew cab with a 2" level kit and RideRite airbags
  • 2015 FWC Hawk with Silver Spur interior, front dinette, and a Batwing awning.
  • 2015 BMW R1200 GSA
  • Hobie ProAngler 14

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:48 PM

I keep hearing about Pliny the Elder on this site.  I love a good beer and am wondering what makes this beer so special?

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:17 AM

Ted may be the best to answer that question. As for me, I've been trying to try one for a couple of years now. ABV occasionally gets a keg of Pliny the Elder for the pub, but apparently it goes quickly. Several times, I have called and been told; "We had a keg last week but it's sold out."
However, we're blessed in Orygone with many fine beers and I don't really feel too deprived. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:44 AM

Funny, the computer was off and yet something told me to check WTW.Yo and behold, a topic with "beer" in the title.

I definitely prefer the west coast style Double IPA's - IBU's around 100 and Alc. usually above 8. That said, they are, as a group, a bitter, acquired taste. Pliny, for reasons unknown by me since I don't brew so don't understand these things, has all of the flavor of a good DIPA with less of the bitterness and a cleaner finish. And it was one of the first DIPA's to have a hint of citrus, which makes it more refreshing than most beers this heavy. So it got the cult following.

But all of this was five or more years ago. Since then many breweries have opened and most have some type of Pliny clone. Pliny is still made in limited quantities and difficult to find. When my local stores get it in, I still buy it. But when it isn't available, many of these breweries are producing brews every bit as good as Pliny, they just got on the bandwagon when the market was more saturated so have not got the press. So if you get a chance to try a Pliny, by all means do so. In the meanwhile, try some of your local breweries DIPA's and you will probably get a good idea of what to expect when you do taste a Pliny.

Also, if you know anyone going through Santa Rosa, CA where Russian River Brewery is located, they can pick up a 12 pack for you. Be prepared, though, it is close to $70 for that 12 pack of 20 ounce bottles. :o 

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:11 AM

Pliny seems to be everywhere Ted is. I've even found it in Baja.

Attached File  IMG_1979.jpg   138.04K   21 downloads

I've been told that Pliny the Younger is made with a very invasive yeast and has to be brewed in a separate facility than other beers. Not sure if this is true but it could be a reason for it's rarity. I don't know if the easier to find Pliny the Elder uses this type of yeast.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users