3 way frig. vs. 2 way

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

TDF, I grounded my 2 cooling fans directly to the camper frame inside the refrigerator compartment. I pulled the 12v + from the existing circuit at the fridge to an on/off switch. Both fans only draw about 1/4 amp  total when running. Nothing to worry about.

cwd

CWDT

#22 TDFuego

TDFuego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

Thanks again CWD, this should work perfectly.  

tdf

#23 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

TDF, Please post your results when you have the new alternator and fans installed.

cwd

CWDT

#24 TDFuego

TDFuego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

CWD;  Have been traveling for three weeks (without camper), busy with other things and wanted to give update such as it is.

Have new alternator (140amp), installed and have put a 1.5v computer fan in upper vent of fridge compartment, wired up as you suggested.  All appears to be working great.  Only problem I've not been able to check things out properly.  Hoping to get away for a night or so in next few weeks for shakedown cruise.  Being retired is great, but where does the time go?  Will post again after decent "road" test.

Your posts have been very helpful, thanks---  TDF

#25 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

Put in an Isotherm 2-way after the continuously dismal/unpredictable performance of the supplied Dometic 3-way that eventually just failed to do anything while on the Mojave Road last Spring. At it's best 40° below ambient was a dream, 30° or less was more like it.

In mild ambient temps we've unintentionally frozen stuff in the Isotherm as we're still figuring out how to set it. My wife just came in from cleaning out the truck from our last trip and told me I'd made a good choice in fridges, Whatever the interior is made from wiped clean effortlessly.

I have witnessed a 3.4A draw while running during overcast daylight hours on the TriMetric monitor. Do not recall what the solar was producing prior to the fridge kicking on. I don't tend to be obsessive about stuff like that. I periodically cycle the options on the monitor to see how things are working, but I have to be rigorous at work - I'm not going to do so on a trip.

As a bonus I've removed the noisy venting fans & thermostats from the rear of the fridge compartment because they're no longer needed. Can barely hear the cooling fan (40mm box fan) on the coils running and have not ever heard the compressor itself running.

We seldom stay in one place two nights in a row, so our 100w panel really only is about keeping the camper batteries up while it sits between trips. I'm working towards doubling the panel wattage so that if we do stay more than one night in the same place the solar has a better chance of keeping up.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#26 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:39 AM

I just got back from a 5 day trip to the Sierras in a class B motorhome with a Dometic 3 way fridge and it worked beyond my expectations. Ambient temps were low to mid 80's day and high 40's night. The freezer was amazing. Froze our limits of fish rock solid in less than 2 hours. Adult beverages were frosty as well. Couldn't ask for better.

cwd

CWDT

#27 TDFuego

TDFuego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

CWD:  If you are still monitoring, The shakedown cruise failed.  Best advice I have now (this from auto electrical fellow) is to change out the 10/2 wires from alternator to 6/2.  I may do this after my shoulder surgery heals, or, I might just throw in towel...  Oh, the fan hook up works like a charm.

Thanks for all your help

TDF

#28 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

TDF, that's a little sad, but 10/2 wires just won't carry enough current. If you are going to run new wires anyway, go with the biggest wires that will fit. I left my #10 wires in place and added #4 wires as well. The #10 wires have an Anderson connector so I can plug in a small generator, battery charger or a portable solar charger if I ever need one (which I haven't).

cwd

CWDT

#29 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:35 AM

TDF, that's a little sad, but 10/2 wires just won't carry enough current. 

cwd

+1   I went with 2 AWG welding cable.  Works like a charm to pull those AH down into the camper batteries.

#30 TDFuego

TDFuego

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:04 PM

To CWD, Vic and others who might be watching this very old post.

With COVID time available, and finally healed from various medical issues, I strung a #4 stranded wire from truck battery to an Anderson terminal in the bed, passing through a 100 amp breaker mounted on the truck firewall.   I strung another #4 wire from Anderson terminal into house battery and Blue Sea Relay model 7610.  I discarded the original #10 wire and connector.  I do use a small cooling fan that CWD uses as well.

ALL WORKS WELL.  I know now that the problem all along was the #10 original wire was just too small to let the 12v refigerator function.  This is what Vic and others told me three years ago!  Originally, I took Fourwheel advice and used #10 because that is what they used when installing the RM2193.  

I Just returned from a camping trip in 90 degree weather and refrigerator temperature held at 40 degrees (and more) below ambient, and house battery kept at full charge with six hours time each way on freeway and mountain back roads.  After five years I've got a refigerator that works well in all three modes!

Many, many thanks to Vic, CWD and others who commented on this post.

TDF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users