• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 arg

arg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:51 PM

Could those with a 3-way propane fridges comment on whether or not the flame is left on while moving? Safe or absolutely do not do.  If the flame is off, I would assume that is during a drive to a new location, and in that situation, is there sufficient insulation to keep ice frozen during, say a 4 or 6 or 12 hour flame off time period. I ask these questions because solar does look very practical, but I get ambient temperatures, cloud cover, etc. are important factors. Thanks in advance for responses.

Edited by arg, 01 August 2020 - 05:53 PM.

#32 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Here is my use of my 3 way.

Before the trip I start the fridge on 120v at home.

I have a frozen gallon of water plus a half gallon.

They go in first.The food kept in the 3 way is frozen to start with.

All is loaded and when leaving change over to propane.

I keep it on propane usually wile driving.

In camp it's always on propane and the contents stay frozen.

The frozen water jugs help to keep the temp at or below freezing.

I have seen temps in the fridge as low as 28*

Our day to day cold items are kept in a 45L Truckfridge  brand of cooler which runs all the time.

This uses very little power and the solar keeps up without any problem.

We have used this method for our cold storage items since we have had the camper.

We are more or less vegetarian maybe some salmon and chicken but that keeps well frozen.

This has worked very well for us.Our trips  a lot of time are 3/4 weeks out.

We have taken two long trips to Alaska with ferry time

and the frozen items in the 3 way with the frozen water jugs has worked well.

The Truckfridge will run on our 100a battery for about 5 days without being charged.

This is our method ,I would like to hear others also.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#33 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:17 PM

arg,

We have a Norcold N300x 2.7 cu ft 3-way in the camper.  We cool it with 120 v before loading for departure.  We leave the propane cooling on while driving.  It typically does not blow out.  However, sometimes with strong crosswinds it does blow out.  

We use an Acuright wireless thermometer with readout unit in the truck cab and remote refrigerator and freezer sensors in the Norcold.  When we notice the temp warming up we know the pilot has been blown out and I go restart it.

https://www.amazon.c...96309398&sr=8-5

If we need to run on 12 v it will hold temp if it is already cold, except in over 90 or so degree weather, but it takes forever to cool down so we use 120 V or propane to cool it down.

We also have a Dometic CFX-35 in the truck cab behind the center console (truck is a 1993 Dodge Clubcab aka extended cab).  It works great and cools quickly.  We keep cold drinks, snacks and similar in it since our trips often involve long distance drives.  It is small enough that when empty I can remove it and use it elsewhere but 90% of the time it stays in the truck cab.

Edited by ckent323, 01 August 2020 - 07:22 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#34 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:41 PM

I mostly do winter camping in ski area parking lots where propane fridge works great, sips propane, and no aftermarket fans needed.

Except when it gets really cold. -18*C/0*F the fridge stops working. The solution is a 100w light bulb in the back of the fridge if you have 120v shore power OR block off the lower fridge vent (never the upper). This will create enough warmth for the fridge to turn on and start working. Just remember to remove the cardboard or whatever covering the lower vent once the outdoor temperature moderates a bit.

Edited by DanoT, 03 August 2020 - 07:43 PM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users