• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:23 PM

I've lurked long enough on the WTW forums and it's time to ask a question... and I really love the encouraging and informative folks who post. So here goes:

Am I crazy?

I have a 2017 F150 Ecoboost FX4 4X4 with a 5'6" bed. I bought the truck to haul my horses, and with the twin turbo V6 kicking out over 400 ft/lbs of torque, it does the job.

Payload is about 1700 pounds, and I want to put a camper on the truck, which is very capable off-road and gets me wherever I want to go here in Idaho. I've researched heavily and requested/received information from both Hallmark (EXC) and Four Wheel (Raven).  I'd be using the camper primarily for short (under a week) camping trips, with a couple of dogs. I'd like a kitchenette and would like to have a hot outdoor shower if possible. I've given up on the inside bathroom thing because of the 1700 pound payload, although it would be great to have in the winter.

After reading through a lot of posts on WTW, I'm wondering if I'm over-reaching for this truck, given the 1700 pound payload and shorter bed. So... am I crazy to put a camper on this truck?

Thanks in advance for any input!!!

#2 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

Why do you think your crazy, alot of people put slide in campers in f150's
I have a FWC Eagle on my 99'150
4x4, to me it's a perfect rig for where I live in the Rockies.

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

Everyone will have a different answer to your question.

So, here's mine...

A 2000, Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab with a 4.0L V6, auto trans, 4x4, with a 2010 All Terrain Camper Bobcat shell with my own design and built interior at about 850 lbs. dry. Of course I'm not pulling a horse trailer or much of any other kind of heavy trailer. At most I've got a 150 lb motorcycle trailer with one or sometimes two vintage Honda Trail motorcycles that are about 200 lbs each, max total for a trailer is 550 lbs. I drive conservatively and I go almost anywhere without the trailer and with the trailer I simply camp in an easy access spot and I ride the vintage Honda's anywhere.

img_138745_0_51199ec53ee4864b72a198078a9

And, now for the guys that think you should have or get a bigger truck...

Edited by Alley-Kat, 09 August 2017 - 06:14 AM.

#4 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

Alley Kat..
I had my Eagle on a 2k ranger same as yours, only thing I did were ride rites and 456 gears. A great little truck..
Then I met a nice lady.. and 3 dogs, the rest is history.. not to mention two ATVs never a problem just ran out of room.

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

I've got an Eagle shell on my 1st gen Tundra DC. No problem towing my Bass Boat and hauling the camper. Just kinda look at things like a backpacker and save weight where you can.

No inside bathroom but you can have an inside porta pot in these things.

Edited by Squatch, 09 August 2017 - 02:14 AM.

#6 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

I've got an Eagle shell on my 1st gen Tundra DC. No problem towing my Bass Boat and hauling the camper. Just kinda look at things like a backpacker and save weight where you can.

thanks for the reply... i'll be looking at things like a backpacker for sure. 

#7 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:51 AM

yeah i was looking at that porta pot situation. i'm down for that. thanks for replying.

#8 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 AM

Alley Kat..
I had my Eagle on a 2k ranger same as yours, only thing I did were ride rites and 456 gears. A great little truck..
Then I met a nice lady.. and 3 dogs, the rest is history.. not to mention two ATVs never a problem just ran out of room.

yeah i hear you. dogs can add up. i didn't count my girlfriend's dogs in my estimate. my bad.

#9 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:55 AM

Why do you think your crazy, alot of people put slide in campers in f150's
I have a FWC Eagle on my 99'150
4x4, to me it's a perfect rig for where I live in the Rockies.

sounds pretty perfect. i was barking up the wrong tree with wet and dry weights and started getting convinced by others i needed a heavier payload.

#10 thisisepic

thisisepic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:56 AM

Everyone will have a different answer to your question.

So, here's mine...

A 2000, Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab with a 4.0L V6, auto trans, 4x4, with a 2010 All Terrain Camper Bobcat shell with my own design and built interior at about 850 lbs. dry. Of course I'm not pulling a horse trailer or much of any other kind of heavy trailer. At most I've got a 150 lb motorcycle trailer with one or sometimes two vintage Honda Trail motorcycles that are about 200 lbs each, max total for a trailer is 550 lbs. I drive conservatively and I go almost anywhere without the trailer and with the trailer I simply camp in an easy access spot and I ride the vintage Honda's anywhere.

img_138745_0_51199ec53ee4864b72a198078a9

And, now for the guys that think you should a bigger truck...

this is awesome. thanks for posting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four Wheel, Hallmark, f-150

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users