25 replies to this topic

#21 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Fellow Wanderer

• Members
  • 2,829 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:53 AM

Why not have a rod case?  My two-piece rod and reel fit inside a cordura case, strung up.  Multi-rod fishermen may want more storage than that.

Andy
06 Tundra AC TRD 4x4, 08 Hawk, Ride-Rite bags, Helweg sway bar,18" BFG AT's

Photo galleries at Lighthawkphoto.com

#22 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:11 AM

Tightlines, I had to experiment with the pipe insulation. Look back in my post where I describe how installed. The end has a full piece of pipe insulation, the middle has half a piece, and the end closest to the rod has none due to the large line loop. I start inserting the rod with the line loops up and then rotate as I slowing and carefully insert the rod. I also use a bungy as a way to hold the box in place. If the tool box breaks loose, the rods go with it.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#23 Tightlines

Tightlines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:17 AM

Thanks, will experiment with the pvc over the next few weeks.
Maybe the case is the way to go as well.
When fishing multiple days a close in locations, nice to leave the rod at full length, but have broken it down for many years as well. Thanks again 🐟

#24 SD_Beaker

SD_Beaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:26 PM

Just bought my first FWC Hawk , flyfishing for 30 years in a tent, amp’ed to hit the road early spring. It’s 5 degrees here in Virginia. Need 2 rod vaults 10’ So just take a pvc tube and line it with pipe insulation? How do you get the insulation 9’ down the tube to stay in place ? Great idea, got to figure out something. Please explain. Thanks

#25 SD_Beaker

SD_Beaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

Just bought my first FWC Hawk , flyfishing for 30 years in a tent, amp’ed to hit the road early spring. It’s 5 degrees here in Virginia. Need 2 rod vaults 10’ So just take a pvc tube and line it with pipe insulation? How do you get the insulation 9’ down the tube to stay in place ? Great idea, got to figure out something. Please explain. Thanks

So I did the same thing. But I used 2” pvc and bought 3/8” insulation for 1” pipe from Amazon. It comes in 3’ sections so it’s challenging to get inside.

What I did was 1) Soap it up with a dish soap and water mix, 2) put a 10’ piece of 1/2” PVC inside it 3) my son held a shop vac to the far side.

The insulation sucks down onto 1/2” pvc and you can slide it in. Once you start, you’ll get it figured out.

Let me know if I can help

SD_Beaker

#26 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationSmith Mt. Lake, VA and OBX, NC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Tight lines not wanting to hijack the thread but if you're ever looking for a fishing partner here in VA give me a shout!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users