17 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

I have used this lens for years as a general purpose "walk around" lens, although I suspect I've overly stretched that "walk around" moniker with the places and conditions it has been and put through.

Last Saturday on the summit of Lassen Peak the auto focus function started to malfunction. I dropped it off at a Nikon repair facility yesterday and am awaiting their diagnosis and estimate - 3 to 5 days.

From online research, I figure the focus motor is shot and the repair could run well over half the price of a new lens.

So, I could have a decision ahead.

On the trail, skiing, climbing mountains, deep in Death Valley canyons, etc., the lens works well. But, it does have the well known short comings such as fairly soft focus across the board and don't ever use it all the way out to 200 mm.

I offer up these questions.

Should I get it repaired?

Should I replace it with the same lens?

Should I consider a different lens for replacement such as the 16-85mm that I was reading about last evening? It is said to be a sharper lens. I would loose reach but gain some in the wide angle.

I appreciate your respectful and experienced insights and suggestions. Thanks!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

Ski,

Are you on a crop sensor? The 28-300 is a wonderful lens but on a crop you would have 42-450 which might not be what you want.

The 24-120 F4 is also very nice. Tokina makes a nice Pro lens but I forget the exact range though it is wide. Sigma also makes some good lenses. My experience with Tamron is only 1 lens and I wasn't impressed.....

I would buy a new lens before I would put much money into a kit lens. YMMV :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:31 PM

If you decide to replace it it might be a good time to decide if you are going to stick to DX or get an FX body.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

Decisions like this can always grow arms and legs, don't they?

DX or FX? Currently I have a D3200 body (DX). I suspect sometime I'll add FX. My last lens purchase reflected that and was FX.

But I enjoy the size and weight of the D3200 with the 18-200 as a "throw in my backpack" duo. I expect, even if I move to FX, I'd keep the D3200 around.

So the answer to DX or FX? A toss up. Getting another lens for the DX, I wouldn't consider it a waste of money.

But pulling me the other way is as I process photos I am noticing more and more the lens shortcomings.

I spent my lunch break today reading lens reviews..........................................

Thanks, and please continue with your thoughts. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

I haven't had a DX lens in years but my last one was a Sigma 10-20 and it was an excellent lens. If their 18-200 and 18-300 lenses are the same quality they might be something to look at.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#6 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:14 PM

The great thing about FX lenses is they work on everything. The best lesson I learned as I got to know more accomplished photographers was put your big money in glass. I started buying FX lenses 3 or 4 years before I actually got an FX camera. Made that purchase much less painless :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#7 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

Now that the D850 is out you should start seeing a number of used D800 and D810 for sale (and maybe D500's as well) and I expect the prices will drop as more and more hit the market.

Charlie...
Stalking Light

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Mr 3Pin, knowing the kind of places you like to go, I'm thinking you should stay DX because of size and weight. The 18-200 is a great lens for these kind of activities. I would also look at Tokina and Sigma to see what equivalent lenses are in their lines. My 2ยข worth.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

I'm not a Nikon shooter, so can't really say much about their line up of lenses and bodies.  

Body size matters!  For the big hikes a smaller crop sensor or mirrorless body is a godsend.  

But, for the best landscapes, you will want full sensor and quality glass.

I second WS on Sigma/Tokina as very fine glass.  I just saw an excellent Sigma Art 14mm image of Tahoe that blew my mind.

The photographer did a night shot of a rocky beach, and flew a drone with LED to illuminate the cove while taking his exposure.

But, it seems you want a "walk around lens", so that's going to be a mid-range zoom with some reach for those critter shots.

Last comment:  You might look at the Buy/Sell board on Fred Miranda.  Use the search function and you can see what is the going price.  In my experience, sellers with high reputation points are safe to buy from.  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

All of you are great with helpful points to ponder. Thanks so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users