Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Water tank 'fill' meter - what does it measure?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Hey gang - has anyone conducted an analysis of what the factory water tank meter measures?  I'm interested to know how much water I have when it reads 1/3 and 2/3.  Full and empty seem intuitive if they represent the value of 20 and 0, but I'm not quite sure about the other measurements because there could be a range of values these numbers represent.  Knowing the range of values represented by 1/3 and 2/3 will help trip planning.

If this has been covered, please direct me to the post.

Cheers!

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 September 2017 - 07:39 PM

It would seem some old-school detective work might help here.

OK, you have Empty, 1/3, 2/3 and Full, right?

If the tank holds 20 gallons that would mean 1/3 was about 7 gallons and 2/3 was 14 gallons... sorta.

OK....drain the tank and water your flowers....then put in five gallons and check the meter. if it is below the 1/3 mark add a gallon at a time until you have 1/3 showing. Now you know what "1/3" means.

Keep going until you know what 2/3 and then what Full means on the meter.

However, the pump pickup tube is probably a bit higher than the drain so keep that in mind!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 30 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

In a Truck Camper Magazine mods article a year or three ago, someone suggested using a water flow meter to load your water tank with only enough water for the trip to reduce unneeded weight. This is one meter recommended: https://www.amazon.c...*=1&*entries*=0

Starting with an empty tank, run water into tank through the flow meter. Watch the factory water indicator LEDs and note the flow meter reading when each LED turns on. That should give a reasonable value for your camper. I can't imagine that the indicators being very repeatable but it should be ok as an estimate. One can hope it is better than the battery charge indicated by the other button. :P

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Why make it complicated.

Fill the tank from 1 gallon bottles as needed.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

Thanks.  I might get the water meter so I know how much I have in the tank and correlate the gallons with the factor meter.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#6 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:17 AM

The built-in meter is only a rough guide to water level since it uses only 3 or 4 sensors arranged vertically along the end of the tank. Once the water level drops below one sensor, there's no change in the display until the level drops below the next lower sensor. The water tank in my 09 Hawk is translucent so if I open the seat lid for the camper battery I can see the end of the water tank and observe the actual level of the water. Works great for me.

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Visually checking the tank,if you can works.

I can view mine I think if I pull the drawer out.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

I use the flow meter and I'm actually impressed on how well it works... pretty accurate. As mentioned on a short trip I am able to take just 5 or 10 gals and not overload or waste water emptying when I get home.

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

Just an additional data point to consider when you conduct your experiment but be sure to have your rig level for the best results...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

I was also unhappy with the lack of resolution from the 'stock' water meter and replaced it with a continuous capacitive water meter that gives ~1gal resolution.   The space between 1/3 and empty for us is the difference between stay out for another 2 days or head to town for water in the morning.

I would agree with the others who have said that the best option is to be able to look at the side of the tank - and I have seen some people mill a slot into their cabinetry for this purpose.    Unfortunately on the flatbed models, you can't really see the tank and it is behind the electrical compartment so you can't add a slot.  Thus the capacitive water level sensor and a new control panel. 

Here is the new control panel I made up to show the water level amongst other things:

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users