• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#191 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:56 PM

Two cents ... “if” you are pre-wired for solar, a great way to stay topped off when not driving around for a couple days, is a portable Flex soft cased panel, w/handle 5lbs, ~ 1/4 thick when folded. You will need to add a better solar controller to this setup, than what is provided with the panel. It is crap. A good stand alone controller mounted in Camper, or a decent in-line type from the panel, if this is all you will use. Pretty bulkless. Straight forward splicing required. No roof mounting needed. Directed at the sun this gives my roof panel setup a good W boost. One year usage, so far so good. I do have a good Victron controller.

Edited by Stokeme, 20 July 2020 - 04:30 AM.

#192 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for your feedback on those panels. They have a 200W model for $240 also. I was think of wiring it 24v (better for long extensions) and using MPPT.

Also, I just ran across this site: https://batteryblocs.com/batteryblocs/

It might be of interest to someone using individual cells. I think it will work on the ones mentioned in the OP.

Edit: Doh! No they won't fit. Our cells are 32mmx70mm.

SAM_3876-300x300.jpg

Edited by rruff, 28 April 2019 - 01:07 AM.

#193 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 April 2019 - 10:23 PM

That would have saved me a number of hours soldiering all those cells together! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#194 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:14 PM

I am corresponding with battery manufacturer now. The 100AH batteries are sold out. They do have 90AH battiers available. I have attached the spec sheet. Price per piece is $40USD and Door to door shiping to SoCal is $168USD. For a 180AH (8pcs) delivered would be a total of $468USD or $2.71/AH

CWD... did you end up getting these?  I am getting closer to buying batteries for the next build, and seriously looking at LiFePo.  I need about 300AH because the wife wants an Induction Cooktop (1800W = 144A draw on high!)  

I spotted these guys on Alibaba,  https://www.greensun...attery_p62.html

and frankly, I find shopping there rather intimidating.  

Any leads anyone has on DIY or pre-built would be most welcome!

#195 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

Vic,

As I recall Alley Kat had an induction cooktop in his camper at one time.  You may want to contact him for his experience as I think he has removed it now but I cannot recall why.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#196 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:58 AM

I still get about 4-8A of charging out of my alternator, even at 13.5V, so I wouldn't totally write off alternator charging.  It is way less current than you could get out of the alternator, but is about the same as winter time solar charging.  

Another inexpensive option I think I mentioned earlier would be to add a DC-DC converter and wire the output to the input of solar charge controller (assuming an MPPT charge controller).   Something like this would get you at least 20A of alternator charging if your MPPT is rated for it:

https://www.amazon.c...boost converter

With 2 blocking diodes (one on the DC-DC converter and one on the feed from your solar panel) you wouldn't even need a switch or anything - it would just work whenever the alternator is running. 

rando, can you add a bit of info to this idea?  I get that the blocking diodes prevent pushing voltage back into the PV array.  What I don't get is how the two "inputs" 1) PV and 2) alternator output converted to 24V by that Uxcell --- are connected. 

Would you put them in parallel?  If so, how would the Victron MPPT (100/50 model) react as it tries to manipulate the input load/current to optimize the output of the PV array, which is now in parallel with an entirely different kind of output device?  

Not to mention my confusion about the spec's on that Uxcel... last I checked 30A at 24V = 720W, not the 360 that Uxcell device is listed as being.

I've also tried to find out what I can realistically expect my alternator to put out.  As we've noted before, it is kinda "spicy".  I believe I have a 145A alternator, and have seen it dump 80A into my AGM batteries, but only for a short time.  LiFePo batteries could suck in more, and for longer.  That Uxcel would limit the current... so something like 30A (if it is a 360W device).  Would that be a level the alternator can sustain for a full day of driving (plus all the other stuff that it has to keep running as well)?

#197 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

CWD... did you end up getting these?  I am getting closer to buying batteries for the next build, and seriously looking at LiFePo.  I need about 300AH because the wife wants an Induction Cooktop (1800W = 144A draw on high!)  

I spotted these guys on Alibaba,  https://www.greensun...attery_p62.html

and frankly, I find shopping there rather intimidating.  

Any leads anyone has on DIY or pre-built would be most welcome!

Vic, I did not. I set up an account with Alibaba a few years ago, but have never purchased anything from them, but I have purchased quite a few items from Aliexpress and they are essentially the same company. Alibaba is more business/wholesale and Aliexpress is retail/individual. I would buy from either without worries. Sometimes I get delivery faster from China than from across the USA

You know....it's not just the 1800W Cooktop. Then you need a bigger fridge to carry the extra food and ingredients that needed for the Cooktop. And the food processor to prepare the ingredients, pluss the vacuum sealer for the leftovers from said Cooktop. The waffle maker, don't forget the waffle maker! I'm thinking 500Ah! :)

Edited by cwdtmmrs, 16 April 2019 - 06:29 AM.

CWDT

#198 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2019 - 04:25 PM

Hello again rando !

I am at it again after a long winter hiatus. I had to read and reread the thread and I printed out all the photos so I could repeatedly look at them in the workshop. If you have the time and are willing I am, I think, nearing the end. I will attach photos where you can see I nearly copied your set up. I finally completed the soldering of all the cells into packs of 30. Then set up as you did, putting them into series at a junction box. I put jumpers as you did and have the individual four packs shrink wrapped. I am a bit worried that a solder may pop in time. I am not sure how I would know if that happened? These cells had over wintered in my barn workshop which is not heated. I tested with my Fluke meter and each pack was 3.2/ 3.2/ 3.3/ 3.3 Volts. After I then put these four into series I tested and it was 13.22 Volts. 

Here is where I stopped. I reread what you sent me and as time has gone by since I need to ask a few questions as I’d hate to screw up at this point. You can see I have 2 battery management balancing gizmos. I am not sure if I need them both and certainly don’t mind using both as I have then. 

One of these is on the top (the one with the screen to see the voltage and adjust) and the other beneath next to the circuit terminal. Here is where I need real concrete guidance in steps

At the terminal….  

As I have the (2) battery balancers, with the clips with five wires, I’ll ask:
about the orange one which is next to the terminal 
2)  about the one like yours on top …. where those five wire wires are attached (to the terminal as well… same colors connected as the first balancer?)

3) I think I understand from your previous description but I definitely need to be told twice (sorry). Am I correct the two holes (-B and -C/-P) are for the Main Plus and Minus battery terminals ?

4) Do I then solder the 5 thin colored wires from both balancers to the terminal block?

Included in photos is the new replacement controller (I will have 260 Watts solar) and the current battery box which will hold the new lithium batter and controller

Attached Files

Henry David Thoreau

#199 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

I thought I’d also ask if it is possible to put this battery pack on a charger/tender. Attached is the 4 amp tender which states on the box in the top corner that it is good for LiFePo4 12 volt.
I still have yet to attach the battery management monitor. Does this need to be done first?

Attached File  IMG_4342.JPG   97.19K   29 downloads

Henry David Thoreau

#200 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

You don't need a tender for LiFePo4, and I wouldn't charge it without monitoring the voltage.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lithium, LiFePO4, LFP, DIY, Batteries

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users