Photo
- - - - -

Which Cheap Camper(s) are Good Options for a 1st Gen Tacoma (6' Bed)

Tacoma fwc old vintage restore

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 sportsmanjake

sportsmanjake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hi guys, I am a new member and wanted to stop by with some questions.

In short, I was hoping to get some recommendations to start my search. I am looking for an older pop up truck bed camper that I can search for in the less than $4,000 range. The following are notes I have gathered:

Notes:

• FWC seems to be the "go-to" but I am very open to other brands.
  • With a 6 foot bed, I do not want anything that sticks out more than half a foot (This unfortunately removes the FWC Ranger ii from my list).
  • I don't want the width of the camper to be sticking so far out past the bed sides. (I think the FWC Fleet looks too big on the Tacoma).
  • With my limited budget, I am well aware that I will be buying a project. That's half the fun!

Questions:

• The FWC Eagle seems to meet all of my criteria. What year were these first produced? I have not seen any vintage ones.
  • Can you recommend me any other slide in pop up campers that I can be on the search for?

Thanks for your help!

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

First, welcome to WTW!

An ATC Bobcat would be the top of my list.

I am haunted by waters

#3 sunshdw

sunshdw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationCoarsegold CA

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:14 PM

First, welcome to WTW!

An ATC Bobcat would be the top of my list.

Definitely at the top of mine

2018 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:46 PM

Hi guys, I am a new member and wanted to stop by with some questions.

In short, I was hoping to get some recommendations to start my search. I am looking for an older pop up truck bed camper that I can search for in the less than $4,000 range. The following are notes I have gathered:

Notes:

•  
  • With a 6 foot bed, I do not want anything that sticks out more than half a foot (This unfortunately removes the FWC Ranger ii from my list).

From my memory, the FWC Eagle and the older FWC Ranger II models are 80" long in the truck bed as is the ATC Bobcat.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:50 PM

I have an Eagle in my 6' bed 2nd gen Tacoma and think it's the perfect fit for the truck.
Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:13 AM

Here is a Ranger II for sale on craigslist -

https://chico.craigs...6327465399.html

DO NOT BUY IT. For me in is way overpriced for the condition, but it does show it on a Toyota Tacoma. This is the same fit as the FWC eagle.

Ranger II's from this vintage sometimes had "wings" covering the bed rail ends - as this craigslist one has (easy to remove). FWC at this time would also paint the stripes to match the truck it was going on - so this one most likely was original purchased for a baby blue truck.

Good luck on your search.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

Here's a shot of my Bobcat's overhang on the (dirty) Ford Ranger...

gallery_4841_1080_2327470.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#8 sportsmanjake

sportsmanjake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:07 AM

Here's a shot of my Bobcat's overhang on the (dirty) Ford Ranger...

gallery_4841_1080_2327470.jpeg

That overhang is not bad at all! Is the Bobcat made out of wood? 

#9 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:17 AM

I don't understand the cheap part of your question, if you want quality for nothing you may need to be looking at tents in the $4000.00 range. Four Wheel campers are not in the $4000.00 range. For that price it will for certain be a project.  Just saying.  Ron

Edited by nikonron, 19 October 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:18 AM

The floor pack on ATC & FWC campers are wood. The framing is aluminum. ATC uses aluminum siding, FWC uses aluminum or fiberglass. Most people choose aluminum, as it's easier to repair if you stick a limb through it, or scrape it across a rock. Keep the floor pack painted (every couple of years) and they last a long time. Reasonably easy for a skilled person to replace if they pick up a used camper that has not been cared for.

I am haunted by waters

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, fwc, old, vintage, restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users