16 replies to this topic

#1 fredrahm

fredrahm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:41 AM

Hi Friends,

I'm looking to replace my 2004 Tacoma with a new model.  Been looking at the new Tacoma's and the Colorado's.  Toyota has no long beds in Vegas and will not order one in for me.  

Has anyone placed a Fleet 4Wheel Camper on the new Colorado.  Chevy has what I need and wants my business.  My objection is the way they have mounted the radio antenna on the roof.  Seems the camper would interfere with the reception and would bend with the camper installed.

#2 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

Yup ...have a 2016 Diesel Colorado with an Eagle. (Almost same but not as wide as a fleet) There is a lot on here about it... search the site as I have posted and have others. I went 12000 mies to AK this summer. The diesel is way made me switch from a Tacoma to  Chevy. It was worth it but there are things needed to be done... bed rails are higher so you need a platform. IMO you need at least Firestone bags and then maybe a leaf pack depending on how heavy you travel. I am thrilled with the truck. The antennae had to be changed to a stubby (google it on Amazon) ...ain't great but one can work around it.  

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#3 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

Here's a 2nd for the Colorado.  I have a 2017 Duramax Diesel Crew Cab Long Bed with a Phoenix that is similar in size to an Eagle. Had to build a platform to raise the camper over the bed rails as well as get a stubby radio antenna, to go along with Firestone airbags.  Handles awesome though with great gas mileage and acceleration. 

#4 fredrahm

fredrahm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

Thanks for the input.  Have been doing some indepth research on the Colorado 2.8 diesel.  Looks like a winner.  Am curious as to the range attainable on a tank of diesel with the camper installed.  I will be traveling in the mountains and doing highway driving.

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

We did a 12,000 trip... lots of back roads, 3000 miles of dirt and the rest highway. Was averaging 22 mpg until I hit the highway home and the head winds were bad... so it fell to 20 mpg 

Edited by buckland, 02 November 2017 - 11:17 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#6 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:56 PM

Is it true that this truck does not have the option of being in full time 4wD?  I have read this in numerous publications -- the system is set up so that it goes from 2wd to 4wd based on terrain and is not controlled by the driver.  It sounds hard to believe but I thought I'd ask.

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,073 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:16 PM

That is not true. There is a selector so you can choose to be in 2wd, 4wd H or 4wd L ...there is a selector that allows one to be in a "2wd auto" that (it is not AWD) stays mainly in 2wd but activates the other axil when there is a loss of traction. This system is separate from the stability control system and traction control system used exclusively in 2wd. With my 6 speed auto transmission it is amazingly smooth. There is now an 8 speed auto transmission. I average 30 mpg w/o the camper and 22 with it loaded. It has 369 ft LBs of torque. 

Henry David Thoreau

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

. I average 30 mpg w/o the camper and 22 with it loaded. It has 369 ft LBs of torque. 

That's pretty darn good for such a little engine.  My 8.1L has 455, but then it only get 11 mpg ;-)

#9 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:32 PM

That is not true. There is a selector so you can choose to be in 2wd, 4wd H or 4wd L ...there is a selector that allows one to be in a "2wd auto" that (it is not AWD) stays mainly in 2wd but activates the other axil when there is a loss of traction. This system is separate from the stability control system and traction control system used exclusively in 2wd. With my 6 speed auto transmission it is amazingly smooth. There is now an 8 speed auto transmission. I average 30 mpg w/o the camper and 22 with it loaded. It has 369 ft LBs of torque. 

Thanks.  I know one site stated that the Colorado was not truly 4WD.  Sounded wrong.  My only concern with it is payload -- specs show 1400 pounds, better than a Tacoma but it is still going to require some upgrades.

#10 Jeromelo

Jeromelo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

Payload on Chevy Colo.  max 1580 depending on your configuration.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users