• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 04 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

Back in the day when we wuz kids, we camped in Yosemite each year for two weeks in Camp 7. We camped out of our station wagon and slept in tents....we had a Preway stove and ice chest and managed just fine with good ol' Melmac plates and real flatware.

Later on, when I grew up I got lazy and went with plain paper plates...all the food slid together and you needed two or three plates because they were so cheesy. Even later camping out of the Alaskan my wife and I used either the three-divided Chinet paper plates or the Melmac stuff.

That was my MO with the Lance...Chinet or Melmac...did I want to do dishes or was there enough water in the tank or was I just lazy.

There are a lot of modern options for plates these days but I don't use plastic anything like flatware and certainly if I want a nice meal to stay where it should, the Melmac stuff is great. The Chinet gives you just the 50%, 25%, 25% divided segments so your meal may not even fit.

What do you guys think about old school Melmac vs Chinet or other paper products and what about some of the modern options?

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

We use a combination of our good old green enamelware plates and oval Chinet paper plates. I like the oval plates because they're not as tall( easier storage) and Chinet's are plenty thick. As much as possible we prefer to use our washable plates but sometimes it's just to cold to think about washing or we're in a rush to get outta Dodge.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I much prefer “real” over any paper/plastic/disposable plates, but increasingly we find ourselves using the disposable type due primarily to water concerns...amount, disposal of, etc. But we always use real flatware...with various methods of cleaning.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Stoneware plate, bowl, mug and stainless utensils from thrift store.  Beagle pre-wash; greatly limits amount of water needed, usually just spray with a mixture of bleach and water and wipe.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

For us the primary downside to disposables is, well, finding somewhere to dispose of them. That's not always convenient in the bush and I don't like to burn "trash" or carry more around than I have too.

Believe it of not we've come to using corelle ware - and no, it is not "unbreakable". But the simple bowl shape we favour for meals has been tough enough so far to keep us from eating directly from the pot (usually).

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:49 PM

We use the dishes & bowels that came with a "camp set" of black ,spatter enamel. I can't think of the company's name but it's such an old company they advertise that their product was used by Billy the Kid or Jesse James.

Way back when I worked for Frito-Lay I won the set. It must be at least 30 years old and still going strong.

We use some of the "old family" silverware. We like the feel of a sturdy fork,knife,spoon in our hands.And if it doesn't get used daily it just sits around in a drawer,waiting for the kids to inherit it.

We do carry "paper" plates and only use them for a quick meal,but mostly use the Granite-wear" .

It just feels good and easy to clean.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

Stoneware plate, bowl, mug and stainless utensils from thrift store.  Beagle pre-wash; greatly limits amount of water needed, usually just spray with a mixture of bleach and water and wipe.

jim

I love my dog, but there's something about a 'beagle prewash' that just doesn't do it for me :) .

I am haunted by waters

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:15 AM

I love my dog, but there's something about a 'beagle prewash' that just doesn't do it for me :) .

+1 on the canine prewash caution. As was discussed in a thread a year or so ago, paper towels applied before the food dries reduces water consumption for washing dishes.

We carry some old Corelle plates, bowls, & flatware from an old set, plus the disposables as well. When travelling, and stopping for a quick meal, the disposables work best but we prefer the real ones once camping.

Pau
I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

jim

I have nothing to add except: "Clean as Cold Water can get it!!!"

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:50 PM

Yup...We  went with the option of Chinet and the melmac stuff when camping. If there was a fire pit, burning paper plates would not be an issue and certainly burning corn cobs, steak bones and the like would cut down on trash that would attract Mr. Bear. If you don't have the luxury of a fire pit you can go with minimalist washing of cooking/dining gear if keeping garbage would otherwise be a lure for Mr. Bear. If you have a good source of water then washing plates is more ecologically the thing to do, but where you dump the grey water and what kind of soap (biodegradable?) is an issue. If your rig has a grey water tank or just a bucket will determine that and if the campground has a dump station.

Keeping recyclables like beer cans is a no-brainer, bottles with or without a deposit are also. What to do with the plastic wrap and foam tray your T-bone came on is the issue here...

It all depends on where you are, what your rig can handle and what your menu is as well as your choice of kitchenware. Bottom line is I think people on this website are probably more eco-cognizant than most and will do the right thing out of habit.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users