My roof is popping like an aluminum soda can

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:03 AM

Sitting here inside my 2017 Hawk Flat Bed banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the heck that noise is. The alarm is set for 4 AM and I should have been asleep 2 hours ago. The ducks start flying early you know!

The wind is blowing variably between 10 and 15 mph and every time it ramps up to the 15 mph range the roof pops like the sound you hear when you squeeze a soda can. Except, I seem to be inside the can. I fret a bit, think about crawling up on the roof and come to my senses. What would I learn up there in the middle of the night?

This is not my first night in this rig. I spent 3 weeks in Utah last month and camped in much higher winds and lower temperatnures at elevation.

The wind serms to be calming down, I took two belts of bourbon and I will try to catch forty winks before I go completely winky bonkers. But WTF?

Any thoights from the WTW Collective Brain Trust?

Edited by CamperCamper, 12 November 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#2 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Maybe this thread will help.

Oil canning

Or, maybe this one

Roof Popping

Or, maybe even this one.

Roof pops in the wind

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

It's a known issue with some of the one piece roofs. My Grandby did it from the very first trip, and as you found out, makes sleep difficult.

Go to your dealer or FWC and insist that it be repaired. We can discuss offline if you want.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

CamperCamper,

Let us know if you find out  FWC has a "fix" to stop the poping sound in the wind...our '16 Hawk did this as you described at night in a high wind near the WaterPocket Fold, for us it was in the right front corner which was facing into a 35-40 mph wind.  By pushing in/out on vinyl siding with roof locked up, we can replicate the sound.

We have Yak Rak and FWC 160 solar panel.

Can't imagine how this can be resolved.   Stiffing the one piece aluminum roof to stop flexing seems impossible.

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

It is the nature of the beast. Large 1 piece roof is going to oil can. This was our 4th camping season (2014 Grandby) and we had 1 night this fall with 35-40 mile winds and the noise was a little unnerving. When the wind died down it went away. Not sure there is anything FWC can do. Awhile back there was a write up. Think someone may have taken their camper back into FWC but I don't know whether they replaced the roof or what the outcome was. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 10 November 2017 - 04:31 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

My 2015 Hawk does this too. I have noticed my roof is far from being flat and smooth-there are dips and ripples in the metal and the Yakima tracks actually bend up and down a little. Is it possible my roof “skin” wasn’t tensioned enough? Maybe this aggravates the oil canning effect?

Edited by dharte, 10 November 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

While I haven't noticed any oil-canning while camping, my 2014 Hawk certainly has the ripples and dips that dharte mentions.

I suspect there are a several factors affecting oil-canning. Stiffness of sections due to Yakima tracks running fore and aft dividing the roof into three long sections or factory aluminum racks running side to side dividing the roof into wide sections of unequal lengths are likely to cause different behaviors. Solar panels and roof vents will also results in different size sections to pop.

In addition, thermal expansion will result in varying bulges or dips that predispose the roof to pop up and down based on temperature. Search for "coefficient of thermal expansion aluminum" to locate a calculator to help understand the effect of temperature on aluminum. My guess is that thermal changes in length that result in rather small bulges & dips will more easily pop back & forth by the wind.

YMMV :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:43 AM

Never have heard the "Can"  within mine.

Maybe the curtain track I fabbed stops it?

Attached Thumbnails

• C30P2917.jpg

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

Our 2012 Eagle shell did this a lot in 30 mph plus winds when vehicle was side on to the wind. Positioning truck head into the wind has stopped it. Though placing a 26 pound solar panel on the front has really stopped the sound.

Except this past weekend we were camped at Ocotillo Wells and the wind was blowing 20-30mph one night and the truck was positioned side onto the wind direction. Little oil canning in upper drivers side corner. Once I realized the cause I was able to roll over and go back to sleep.

Over time you will get used to it...at least we have,

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

I've not heard any popping on my Eagle and have been in plenty of high winds, side to side and front to back. I'm sure it helps that I have 3 solar panels (two flex glued to the roof), two roof vents and Yakima tracks which don't allow a lot of flex to the aluminum.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users