The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:01 PM

The very best reason, MarkBC! :)

Roger that, Mr. 3pin! :)

--------------------------------------

UNRELATED:  I just noticed that linked pics on my 2015 post weren't working...and then I noticed that none of the linked pics on my old posts, trip reports, were working.  :(  :o

I discovered that the problem was due to moving all my personal "stuff" to a new web host, just this month.  And the new host is Linux-based, for which URL path is case-sensitive (old host was Windows-based).  One of my folders name began with a capital letter -- which made the URL different (to Linux) than all the URLs to link pics I'd used on WTW.  So I changed the folder name to lower-case -- an easy fix -- and all is well.

Now THAT is really nerdy!  :P

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Not only nerdy, it was fine detective work! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Not only nerdy, it was fine detective work! :)

Thanks!  It was especially challenging because the folder name was Images...and if you're not wearing your reading glasses that looks very similar to images.  :rolleyes:

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:29 AM

Been building my own for a long time now. Don't even have to be a nerd to do it. I built a new pc a year ago. Its my backup and as long as this one keeps going it just keeps trying to find the cure for cancer.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Good plan to upgrade the board, storage and RAM, while the rest of the machine is still relatively current.  Cheaper than starting all over from square 1 and the components you upgraded are the parts that have seen the biggest performance gains in the past few years (unless you game).

Having worked at an Apple reseller for 5 years I had an opportunity that most people wouldn't have.  A 8 month old iMac with an i7 processor was traded in with 2+ years of AppleCare remaining on it, because the mechanical hard drive had failed.  The unit was under warranty, so the hard drive and labor were covered.  When the mechanical hard drive arrived I had our senior technician install a Samsung EVO SSD instead.  The labor was free because Apple paid for the labor and I kept the brand new 1GB Hitachi mechanical drive and put it in an external enclosed for use as a backup drive.

I'm a huge Apple fan and I personally enjoy the elegance of an iMac.  That being said I keep an open mind.  PC's have a place (just not in my home).  I sold PCs for 5 years as well.

Edited by Bill D, 19 November 2017 - 09:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users