#1 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hi there.  Fairly new here.  I posted an introduction here http://www.wanderthe...troduce-myself/    Received a nice welcome!  Will post some more there about where I live, etc., in response to a question about information about the area and etc.  

This thread is going to be about my new to me Northstar (TC?) 800.  I am going to try and find out the year and correct model today.  It is an 8' pop-up with east/west sleeping, exterior shower, no bathroom.  It was my neighbor's (Muffy Davis, Paralympian, and her husband Jeff) who got it from her Dad, a Doctor, who cared for it very well, and bought nice things to start with.  Muffy and Jeff moved on to a Hideout trailer with a floor plan that she can navigate in her chair, and a lift, so she can be independent on their camping adventures.  I worked out a trade with them for the Northstar, so a no brainer.  I slept in it for the eclipse this year.  My family tent/car camps up at the mountain lakes of Idaho primarily, to go waterskiing on the lakes, mountain biking, etc.  We typically camp in the campgrounds with a bathrooms, and will want to be able to leave the camper at camp, while we use the truck to launch the boat, go biking, etc.  I am not worried about the weight of the wood framing as I am not trying to 4wheel, backcountry too much.  Some dirt roading is all we will need.  Idaho is already pretty remote.  

Below are a couple initial pictures. I hope to get a couple more of the interior, though Jeff needs to clean some stuff out that he has stored in there, and it is a bit dirty and cluttered inside..  We have the first snow on the ground, and it is time to button it up for winter.  

Jeff has gone through it during his ownership, and it seems sound, doesn't leak, and everything works. It is missing a little door to the Propane, and handle to the crank for the roof vent.  He replaced the lighting to LED.  We will need to add one more jack, it has Rieco-Titans, and it was set up as a tripod originally.  Other than that, am considering a few mods.  One thing I want to do, after camping a lot with others and their campers, is set up an outdoor living space with an awning, with covered outdoor cooking, ability to have some mood lights and sound (will just use our bluetooth speaker) and seating.  Kind of like an outdoor great room.  

Other mods I was considering:

* Rack on top for bikes (but also thinking about just adding a hitch receiver to truck to carry bikes on front. Rear hitch will usually have the boat)

* Ladder to top

* See if I can convert the old titans to power jacks for easy one person on and off.  

* Solar.  

Pics! 

Attached Thumbnails

• 56ce2c8c1d19baefcdb56ad5550257d8.jpg
  • 417718e17aa6ab2f9431d2ba6fb6b785.jpg

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 19 November 2017 - 06:57 PM.

#2 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

One more pic.  Will need to fix the door on the hatch to the propane.  This is the side where I think I will put the awning.  Would love some advice on what type, and where to mount.  Since the propane is right there, it will be easy to hook up a grill and/or a couple burners that can be stowed with not in use.  I talked to the Northstar service guy, and that was his suggestion, instead of pulling any lines through walls, etc.  

Attached Thumbnails

• d5a250958ebb1224a3c7db55c8406517.jpg

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 19 November 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#3 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

And ok, rather than upload a whole bunch of photos, here are some interior pics and miscellaneous in a google photo album.  

https://photos.app.g...s77M6zgN9yUDGH2

As I said, Jeff has some cleaning to do, but will clean up and serve nicely I think.  

Edited by sunvalleylaw, 19 November 2017 - 10:50 PM.

#4 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

We did find one more significant issue to fix before I take ownership.  Jeff remembered that the track for the pop up lift on the driver's side sheared its bolts and needs to be re-secured.  Not sure how to do that, but Jeff has an idea and is pretty good with that stuff.  He did not think about it as he did not use the camper really at all this year as he bought the trailer, and it happened in the spring or late winter.  

So, will have to figure that out before full winter.  No big deal, everything still works, but needs to be re-secured before anything gets tweaked.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6809.jpg
  • IMG_6810.jpg

#5 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:53 AM

Looks nice, happy camping

#6 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:37 AM

Well, got it cleaned out and vacuumed, removed the mattress, pads, etc., everything is drained and winterized, battery removed and charged, and found out I could store the camper under our lean to carport with our boat, on a dolly the prior owner built for it.  Pretty stoked about that.  Did not really want to store it outside, even though lots of people do.  Also, in cleaning stuff out, found the old manual.  It is a 1994, and they felt it would weigh 1600 with typical equipment.  

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6839.jpg
  • IMG_6843.jpg

#7 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:37 AM

Link to album with additional pics here.  

https://photos.app.g...s77M6zgN9yUDGH2

I am excited about this thing.  Lots of potential.  

#8 Profkanz

Profkanz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

Hi,

Yours is similar to the TC800 (2000 model) I bought last month. Propane door is not a big deal and should be available at any RV service center. In a pinch a piece of plywood can be fitted as a door if vents are added. You will want to check the seal around the roof vent. Any cracking or failure in the adhesivity of the sealing material should be taken care of yesterday if possible. DO NOT use silicone caulk anywhere. Sika 715 is a self leveling sealant that works very well for this and can be applied on top of existing seal after cleaning. Also check the sealant at the corner brackets of the roof. Sika 505 is a no sag seal good for that.

To add more jacks for 4 corner support you will need extra corner support brackets. I have Happijacks on mine and they also have VERY sturdy jacks brackets and motors that can be bought online for not the usual overpriced dollars. Check Panther RV Products.

One more very critical thing; you MUST replace the propane and carbon monoxide detectors. They are most likely as old as the camper and they have a useful life of 5 to 10 years. Also add a smoke detector on the ceiling. Your life may depend on these.

Edited by Profkanz, 30 March 2018 - 03:00 AM.

#9 sunvalleylaw

sunvalleylaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hi,
Yours is similar to the TC800 (2000 model) I bought last month. Propane door is not a big deal and should be available at any RV service center. In a pinch a piece of plywood can be fitted as a door if vents are added. You will want to check the seal around the roof vent. Any cracking or failure in the adhesivity of the sealing material should be taken care of yesterday if possible. DO NOT use silicone caulk anywhere. Sika 715 is a self leveling sealant that works very well for this and can be applied on top of existing seal after cleaning. Also check the sealant at the corner brackets of the roof. Sika 505 is a no sag seal good for that.
To add more jacks for 4 corner support you will need extra corner support brackets. I have Happijacks on mine and they also have VERY sturdy jacks brackets and motors that can be bought online for not the usual overpriced dollars. Check Panther RV Products.

thanks for the tips! Just starting to thaw out in April and look ahead to camping season. Will look into your suggestions. I also am considering a simple ARB awning for the side.

#10 snwbdr94

snwbdr94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Have you figured out what to do for the sheared bolts yet?  If not, I would drill and extract out the old bolts, being careful not to enlarge the hole any further.  That way you can buy two of the same size threaded bolts and replace with out having to fill the old ones and drill new holes.  And like Profkanz suggested, be proactive on the rear roof seal.  Otherwise you may have to go through what I just did with my sun-lite!  Happy camping!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: northstar, pop-up, camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users