113 replies to this topic

#101 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

I installed the LIFEPO when I went to Battleborn batteries. No problems and no regrets. Battleborn indicated it was not a problem. If you watch the charging current, it becomes obvious that the BMS has the final say in charging.

If you leave your unit outside, solar charging  finishes charging anyway.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#102 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNW Washington State

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:34 PM

Sounds good, Paul.  I received the IQ-LiFePO module today.  Now, if FedEx would just bring me the battery!  Initially they said it would be here last Tuesday, but they've been showing it as "in transit" from Sparks, NV to Troutdale, OR for the last couple of days and are saying "No scheduled delivery date available at this time."  I'm hoping to have it installed by next Wednesday so we can hit the road for a while.

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#103 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:18 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your battery is in one of the FedEx black holes for packages. I ordered a leather backpack purse for my wife in September. It was scheduled to arrive at my house by end of day Sept 23. It remained "In Transit" in Troutdale for 5 days then moved to the next FedEx black hole of Portland for 3 more days before being delivered. 

They are understaffed with only 65% of the people they need. As I recall, it needs to say "accepted" for the package to actually be checked into the facility.

Search for "fedex troutdale"  Many hits.

https://pamplinmedia...rtland-packages

Good luck and may your frustration be much shorter than mine was.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#104 Sedro F. Woolley

Sedro F. Woolley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationNW Washington State

Posted 11 October 2021 - 07:43 PM

Ah, so it's not just hazardous cargo!  Their tracking and notification system is pretty messed up too.  I got a message on Friday morning saying it was still in transit, but that it would be delivered by the end of the day.  Later that day, it changed to no delivery date available.  Saturday morning, they said it would be delayed until Monday (today), so we went out to do some errands.  While we were out, a message came saying they had attempted to deliver and that now it would now be delayed until tomorrow (Tuesday).  I called their customer service line and got some guy on a bad line from Bangalore (that's kind of a catchphrase these days, isn't it?).  In between him dropping out and my trying to understand what he was saying, I managed to explain what had been going on and asked if he could tell me when the package would arrive.  He told me it would definitely be today (Monday) and that their system was messed up somehow due to COVID.  Yesterday, the tracking site still said delivery would be delayed until Tuesday.  Luckily, we were home when the truck showed up late yesterday morning with the battery!  A "first world" problem, for sure, but crazy making nonetheless.

2009 Tacoma 4wd DCLB
2011 Finch

#105 Dipodomys

Dipodomys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 04:17 PM

I have a question about charge controllers for lithium batteries. My understanding is that lithium batteries like to be stored with about a 75% charge. In order to maximize the life of the battery, it seems like it would be useful to have an easily accessible setting on the controller for the charge percentage at which it should maintain the battery at. For example, during the majority of the time that I'm not using the camper, I'd set it to maintain at 75%. Then on the day before or the day of heading out for a trip, I'd change it to 100%. Is this easy to do, and how much of a difference is it likely to make in terms of battery life?

For context, I'm considering purchasing a 2017 Fleet this week with dual 12V AGM batteries that will probably be due for replacement soon. Definitely want to upgrade to lithium when that happens.

#106 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:01 PM

I don't know of any LiFePO4 brands that let you limit the SoC to 75%.

The 75% SoC is for long term storage. If you are able to escape in your camper with some regularity, the effect on battery life is not much.

If you do make the plunge, there are many excellent threads here on WtW on lithium batteries.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#107 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:59 PM

" i know nothing " so 2019 hawk roll over couch 2 batteries front passenger side 1) where does the dc to dc charger get placed 2) after upgrading truck to camper wire to 6gage do I need to change inside camper wiring? 3) Will I need to change the truckside an camper side connector plugs? Thanks

Edited by dennis 221, 11 August 2023 - 07:01 PM.

#108 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:34 PM

I have a question about charge controllers for lithium batteries. My understanding is that lithium batteries like to be stored with about a 75% charge. In order to maximize the life of the battery, it seems like it would be useful to have an easily accessible setting on the controller for the charge percentage at which it should maintain the battery at. For example, during the majority of the time that I'm not using the camper, I'd set it to maintain at 75%. Then on the day before or the day of heading out for a trip, I'd change it to 100%. Is this easy to do, and how much of a difference is it likely to make in terms of battery life?

For context, I'm considering purchasing a 2017 Fleet this week with dual 12V AGM batteries that will probably be due for replacement soon. Definitely want to upgrade to lithium when that happens.

That can be done in the battery charger settings on Victron gear.  You would change the "battery full detection" settings... voltage, tail current, etc.

#109 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:38 PM

" i know nothing " so 2019 hawk roll over couch 2 batteries front passenger side 1) where does the dc to dc charger get placed 2) after upgrading truck to camper wire to 6gage do I need to change inside camper wiring? 3) Will I need to change the truckside an camper side connector plugs? Thanks

1) DCDC should be as close to the camper batteries as possible, ideally with good ventilation.

2) That would be ideal, just run more 6g wire into the camper (new hole in the floor pack is what I did) and connect using an Anderson Power Pole.

3) Yes, but leave the existing "green" wire (I believe) for the running lights.  NOT the existing ground though!  Why not? Ground loops and the risk of having the big ground in your new 6g wire being "bad" and all the return current trying to go through the existing wire... not safe/good!

#110 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 13 August 2023 - 11:54 PM

...to maximize the life of the battery, it seems like it would be useful to have an easily accessible setting on the controller for the charge percentage at which it should maintain the battery at. 

That would be cool if the controller did that. We go on one or two dozen trips a year, so our battery is at 100% most of the time out camping. On the last day or two, I can disconnect the truck-camper plug through one of the turnbuckle ports. It's not super easy, but doable. Then it discharges down a bit. We don't have solar on the roof -- just portable solar.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users