• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:57 AM

2014 Hawk on 2014 Tundra, want better brakes, slotted and drilled? What brands are proven to be good, cost not my #1 concern, quality is #1, Tundra brakes are NOT THE BEST in my opinion, would like to improve braking ability

#2 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:26 AM

I've heard that drilled rotors have a tendency to crack.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#3 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:42 PM

I've heard that too but in over 10 years mine never have. I've been running Power Stop drilled rotors on my off road Isuzu's.

I've also had great luck with Hawk Performance stuff as an upgrade. That probably what will go on the front of my '06 Tundra when the time comes for brakes.

EBC makes good stuff as well. I ran their Green Stuff pads on my Trooper with the Power Stop rotors. They stop well but need to be warmed up 1st. I live on top a big hill with a twisty road. 1st drive down in the morning towing the boat could be a little eye opening so I changed them out to something with a little more grab.

Go to Summit Racing and plug your truck in. Select brakes from the menu and you should see most of what's available for an upgrade.

Some places like Stillen Motorsports make big brake kits for many trucks but they are spendy!

#4 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Ive built (and even raced) about a Dozen various Toyotas,

First thing ive always done was upgrade the crappy brakes,

We have put DBA (from Australia) drilled and slotted on all of them and with over 100k of offroad miles, not a single issue ever!

The fronts are currently on backorder for my 2014 Tundra, but the rears are already on there and just with the rears the difference was notable.

When you hear folks talking about they might crack, that is misleading....

Some of the best most expensive supercars in the world come with drilled and slotted from the factory!

It all depends on the quality.

If you buy $50 no name drilled and slotted rotors from pep boys, yes, they will most likely crack.

If you buy a nice quality set of DBAs or Terrain Tamers, they will probably outlast your truck!

I will be putting DBAs on the front of my truck, the day they are available off of backorder!  :)

My ,02

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 04 December 2017 - 05:55 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#5 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

We have put DBA (from Australia) drilled and slotted on all of them and with over 100k of offroad miles, not a single issue ever!

The fronts are currently on backorder for my 2014 Tundra, but the rears are already on there and just with the rears the difference was notable.

Some of the best most expensive supercars in the world come with drilled and slotted from the factory!

If you buy $50 no name drilled and slotted rotors from pep boys, yes, they will most likely crack.

If you buy a nice quality set of DBAs or Terrain Tamers, they will probably outlast your truck!

I will be putting DBAs on the front of my truck, the day they are available off of backorder!  :)

5000 series is $400 per rotor, so $2,000 for 4 rotors, brake pads and tax? that will never happen, that is way to much money. If I went with the 4000 series is is $500 less, still $1500 total, still to much. Power stop can be had on Amazon for $320 front and rear kits, including pads, so $1100 cheaper than DBA

#6 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:16 AM

I will be putting DBAs on the front of my truck, the day they are available off of backorder! :)

5000 series is $400 per rotor, so $2,000 for 4 rotors, brake pads and tax? that will never happen, that is way to much money. If I went with the 4000 series is is $500 less, still $1500 total, still to much. Power stop can be had on Amazon for $320 front and rear kits, including pads, so $1100 cheaper than DBA

Huh?? Where you getting those price?

The 4x4 Survival rotors are about $230 each

#7 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:52 AM

Huh?? Where you getting those price?

The 4x4 Survival rotors are about $230 each

A california distributor web site, I thought the prices were ridiculous. You don't think $230 per rotor is high? That is $1200 plus tax with pads?? Powerstop is $350 for front and rear, with pads, slotted and drilled, $400 or so with all taxes in. I think I am going with Powerstop off Amazon.

#8 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:10 AM

A california distributor web site, I thought the prices were ridiculous. You don't think $230 per rotor is high? That is $1200 plus tax with pads?? Powerstop is $350 for front and rear, with pads, slotted and drilled, $400 or so with all taxes in. I think I am going with Powerstop off Amazon.

Like i said, Brakes are a get what you pay for item honestly.. if you want to buy budget drilled and slotted, don’t be surprised if they crack.

I had a set of DBAs one both of my landcruisers, an 80 series and a 100 series. Both were always loaded to the gills with gear. Put over 60k on both sets of rotors before selling vehicles. Still had 2/3rd life left.

For each is own, but I’m DBA for life!

I don’t have any connections to them, I don’t get a discount on them, etc...

I’m in the backcountry a lot. I’ll pay the extra for the piece of mind and reputation.

My .02

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 06 December 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Speaking as a former racing brake design Engineer, Marketing is why some supercars come with drilled rotors. Instead of looking at those poser cars, look at what real road racers are actually using. The need for drilled rotors has been passed, by about 20 years. Rotors were drilled when pad compounds were particularly bad about out-gas fading. The holes gave those gasses a place to go to get away from being between the pad and the rotor. Even then I'm not convinced this was all that successful.

Slots make some sense in a dirty application. They'll help with cleaning off any debris that manages to get between the pad and the rotor.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

PowerStop are not budget rotors. Not super high end but far from no name Ebay stuff.

I've used their rotors m in towing applications with no issues and no cracking. Local machine shop can and has turned them as well with no issues. Typically Powerstop starts with quality OEM replacements and drills and plates them. At least in my applications.

One thing about Powerstop. Their evolution pads are ceramic. Not what you want for HD applications. They work fine for light duty but ceramics can glaze the rotors when they get real hot.

Hawk rotors are slotted. They work very well with their HPS pads. Though they make some noise under hard braking. Nothing crazy. You just hear the pads on the slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users