• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

I know this has been discussed already at length, but I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong or right, I have Firestone air bags in a 2014 Toyota tundra, I have brand-new General grabber 10 ply tires, I’ve got 40 pounds of air in the back tires and 40 pounds of air in the front tires, I also have a TRD swaybar, I’m still getting a lot of sway, I’m sure I’m a bit overloaded, the Hawk camper weighs 1480 pounds without anything in it, two adults at 325 pounds, plus all of our gear, and full tank of water, It seems to sway a lot on the highway, I don’t like it, should I go up to 60 pounds of air in the tires, or 70 pounds of air in the airbags?

#2 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:41 PM

Definitely wouldn't keep increasing tire pressure.

Other than the bags, what are you running for rear springs?

I run the OME 2.5" springs with an extra add a leaf and bags.  I rarely need to inflate the bags more than 25lbs.

You want to have it setup so you have a backup.  If you can only drive the truck with XXXX amount of air in the bags, then if a bag/line fails youre SOL and stranded.

Need to get close with add a leaf and springs and use the bag as a supplement.  Don't rely on the bags as a primary fix.  If that makes sense.

Suspension is definitely a slippery slope when adding things to do..  I spent a ton of time and trial and error with mine, to finally get it perfect.

My .02

Edited by So Cal Adventurer, 18 December 2017 - 09:42 PM.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

I run the OME springs with an extra leaf as well on my Tacoma. I started with just air bags and E rated tires but I didn't like the amount of sway and wallow I was getting and upgraded my suspension accordingly. Now it rides just fine.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 TacoTruck

TacoTruck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCentral Valley California

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I have a Tacoma with stock springs, heavy duty shocks, Firestone air bags and E rated tires. I run 75 lbs of air in the bags and 70 lbs in the tires. Handling feels fine to me.

X Jeeper with off-road Teardrop

2017 Fleet, Silver Spur Complete Package
2009 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD V6 6-speed

#5 Jeromelo

Jeromelo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:08 PM

I don't know about your max tire pressure on the grabbers, but I"ve owned several 10ply tires and I run 70-80 when I have a load...sounds like 40 is the reason for your sway to me. 

#6 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

I run the OME 2.5" springs with an extra add a leaf and bags.  I rarely need to inflate the bags more than 25lbs.

Where can a guy source this extra leaf for the OME leafpack?  I currently have the OME Dakar leafpacks and airbags already installed, and I'm waiting for my Hawk to be manufactured. (We're hoping for a delivery sometime late winter or early spring)

I installed the leafpacks and other goodies myself, so I imagine it should not be too difficult to add the extra leaf to the standard OME pack?

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:52 PM

Here is the extra leaf for the tacoma:

https://www.amazon.c...&keywords=d29xl

You would need to look it up for your vehicle and current spring pack:

http://www.arbusa.co...tion-Guide.aspx

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

I have brand-new General grabber 10 ply tires, I’ve got 40 pounds of air in the back tires and 40 pounds of air in the front tires, I also have a TRD swaybar, I’m still getting a lot of sway.

Which tires specifically? 40 psi might be a little low.

If your airbags are joined together, that might be the culprit. If the truck wants to tilt, air will flow out of the one being compressed and into the one being extended.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

If your airbags are joined together, that might be the culprit. If the truck wants to tilt, air will flow out of the one being compressed and into the one being extended.

+1 on both comments.  

#10 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:01 AM

they are together, air goes into both air bags at the same time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users