225 replies to this topic

#221 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:57 AM

After looking through this whole thread I still have some questions. When I had my firestone ride-rite installed by a dealer I was told to keep 60psi in while fully loaded for my 13 silverado with Nitto terra grappler g2 285/65/18 tires. Long story short after reading through everyone's different setups has anyone found something ideal to run tires and ride-rite air bags at? I recently went on a trip with my front tires at 40 and rear around 45 and ended up getting 8 mpg. Thoughts or suggestions for a loaded 13 Chevy Silverado Hawk? Cheers! 

1/2 ton Silverado?  Are your tires E-rated?  I have a fully loaded Grandby/Puma on my 1 ton Silverado with E rated tires and run 55 front, 65 rear and about 15-20 pounds in the air bags. 18 mpg avg hauling a$$.

#222 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

1/2 ton Silverado, E rated tires. That's great gas mileage your getting in your rig. Is it diesel or gas?

1/2 ton Silverado? Are your tires E-rated? I have a fully loaded Grandby/Puma on my 1 ton Silverado with E rated tires and run 55 front, 65 rear and about 15-20 pounds in the air bags. 18 mpg avg hauling a$$.

Edited by Mayday, 26 March 2020 - 03:51 PM.

#223 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:53 PM

1/2 ton Silverado, D rated tires. That's great gas mileage your getting in your rig. Is it diesel or gas? 

my signature tells all!  -  2006 diesel.

D rated "should" be ok if you don't need the sidewall protection that E rated tires have.  Another way to check if your pressure is appropriate is by using a chalk line across the tread and drive a bit to see where the chalk comes off first.  I also like to park and see if I can put a thin feeler gauge under the tread from the side.  If not, inflate another 5 pounds and recheck.  When I can, that means the tire has enough pressure to put the centre of the tread more firmly on the ground than the edges.  I would then deflate a bit until it I can't get the feeler gauge (or a thin sheet of paper) in any more.  

Of course, the best way is with a laser temp guage.  The tread should have the same temperature all the way across the tread if it is inflated correctly.

As for airbag pressure, check the height of your rear wheel wells off the ground before loading your camper and with zero air in the bags.  Then load the truck up and re-measure.  Add air to the bags until it is back where it was.  Tweek from there if you want.

#224 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,771 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:32 PM

Also to note for air bags:

If you want to take out the squat of the sidewall of the tire in your measurement.  Take a measurement from the center of the hub to the wheel well trim.  Now you are just measuring the squat on the springs.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#225 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:41 PM

Oops I made a mistake. They are E rated tires.

#226 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:54 PM

285/65/18 tires. ...

Long story short after reading through everyone's different setups has anyone found something ideal to run tires and ride-rite air bags at?

I recently went on a trip with my front tires at 40 and rear around 45 and ended up getting 8 mpg. Thoughts or suggestions for a loaded 13 Chevy Silverado Hawk?

Looking at the this TRA table, and guessing that your axle ratings are ~4,000lbs each and that you are not over, I'd say your pressures are reasonable. I'm not sure I'd want to go much lower with a 80 psi tire for highway driving. On the other side, you are far from dangerous over inflation. If the concern is fuel consumption then all you can do with respect to your current tire and inflation is increase the inflation pressure which should reduce tire rolling resistance and thereby improve fuel economy. You could try for highway use, +5 then +10 psi.

Fuel consumption is very subjective. Reports can vary widely with so many factors involved. "Ideal" tire pressure prob also involves other measures including ride comfort, handling, safety, tread life etc.For your own rig/situation best bet I think is to measure and record where you are at, experiment, then repeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users