Photo

Alu-Cab Khaya Prime camper available for order at OK4WD (in NJ)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:01 PM

Yesterday I received an email newsletter from OK4WD (an off-road shop in Stewartsville, NJ) telling me they now have the Alu-Cab Khaya Prime pop-up truck camper available for order.   (Click on the drop-downs for prices on the options.)

I spoke very briefly with Scott at OK4WD this morning and he said an order placed now would be expected to see delivery in late April. 

Those of you on Expedition Portal may have seen this info about the prototype arriving at OK4WD earlier this year.  That thread page also says prototype #2 went to Adventure Ready for testing.  I assume that's Adventure Ready in Seattle but don't see anything about the Khaya on their website yet.

(RIn Oostdyk is from OK4WD and is being interviewed by Chris Shontz, aka 'Venture4wd' on YouTube.)

Edited by Old Crow, 29 December 2017 - 06:11 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

I like some of the storage ideas.

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:38 AM

Very interesting camper,but with options the price goes out of sight.IMO

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:43 PM

$30,607.00 loaded. Pretty interesting, but only for 1/2 ton at this point.  jd

Edited by longhorn1, 30 December 2017 - 03:15 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

This appears to be a more durable solution than FWC or ATC for those that plan to travel very rough terrain.  I didn't see a reference to weight, but I've found that to be major factor in how aggressive I can be while traveling off-road.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:58 PM

This appears to be a more durable solution than FWC or ATC for those that plan to travel very rough terrain.  I didn't see a reference to weight, but I've found that to be major factor in how aggressive I can be while traveling off-road.

I dunno about durable.  I noted the carpeted insides of cubby holes and thought they would be hard to keep clean, and the way the bed platform drops, it rubs on the window netting - that could wear out/tear holes quickly.  Or were you thinking about frame/chassis flexing while driving fast over rough terrain?

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

My last two campers were in some ways pretty similar to this - I had a wildernest on a 2004 Tacoma then a custom pop-top land cruiser (very similar).   They were very cool campers in that they were super light and agile, and didn't really negatively effect the capability of the vehicle.   I took these to the Doll's House and over Elephant Hill in Canyon Lands - neither of which I would do with the my new flatbed/Tacoma combo.   I am guessing this camper could do these trips just as well.   

However there is a reason I moved on to the FWC flatbed.  I don't have a camper for weekend camping when it is nice out, I have a camper to extend the season into the quieter shoulder and winter season and to allow us to go on longer trips.   For late season camping, when the sun goes down at 5pm and doesn't rise again until 7am, the key thing is to have comfortable, heated,  indoor space.  This is something the AluCab seems to be lacking - the 10" wide vertical backed bench will get old really quickly during the 5 hours of darkness every night.   If you were to use this for longer trips, there would be a lot of futzing and sh!t-shifting to actually live out of it due to the lack of interior storage. 

Anyway, it looks like a fun summertime, super capable weekend explorer - but $20 - $30K is a lot to pay for that. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:53 PM

I have a FWC on a Tacoma and have traveled some pretty tough roads -- drop offs etc.  Certainly no rock crawling but if you pick the correct line, the FWC will make it through.

#9 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

I have a FWC on a Tacoma and have traveled some pretty tough roads -- drop offs etc.  Certainly no rock crawling but if you pick the correct line, the FWC will make it through.

I just did the Maze district of Canyonlands with my Tacoma/ Four Wheel campers Eagle, there is some rock crawling and it was no problem. It's all about slow, steady and deliberate. It's pretty amazing where you can take these rigs.  Ron

#10 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

I dunno about durable.  I noted the carpeted insides of cubby holes and thought they would be hard to keep clean, and the way the bed platform drops, it rubs on the window netting - that could wear out/tear holes quickly.  Or were you thinking about frame/chassis flexing while driving fast over rough terrain?

Not so much about the frame, but I was thinking the lack of stapled interior cabinets and wall paneling would be more durable over time.  Washboard roads in the desert are torture, as are the rocky roads in the Sierra.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users