Photo
- - - - -

What Brand is the 160 watt Solar Panel FWC Provides?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 07 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

Hello Pvstoy, 

Very interesting, did you order the panels? I am interested in putting 2 of the overlands on my Hawk. Interested to know how you mounted and wired it.

Thanks,

Izpup I ordered the panels off Overlands web page and at the time I received a new customer discount code that was emailed to me.

Brian wired a 90 degree SAE plug to match the reverse polarity of the FWC.  My panels are wired in Parallel. 

I worked with a friend and made a aluminum "Z" bar frame welded together with lateral cross supports.  The panels mounting holes were marked on the "Z" bar and the were drilled and taped.  The whole frame was attached to the Yakima tracks on the roof.  

Stainless screws were used. The ones in the aluminum "Z" bar were coated with Silicon or RTF to keep them from backing out.  The ones to attached to the Yakima tracks were coated with grease to prevent seizing of the metals. 

I think that answers your questions. 

I can answer that question for you.  I was at FWC last month and saw the new panel that is being installed.  I was impressed and contacted Overland Solar for details.

I talked to Rando and he pointed out that the specifications provided on the web page is wrong.  So talking to Brian at Overland Solar I got the corrected specifications.

22 X 57.25 inches

7 Pounds

Pmax 160W

32.2 Voc

27.3 Vmp

Isc (A) 6.8

Imp (A) 5.83

FWC started installs at the beginning of the year when the new owner took over. Mainline Overland also stocks the panels. 

How they are mounted is a aluminum frame with a air gap under between the roof and aluminum angle.  On the long sides there are 5 metal grommets on each side and screws are used to attach to the aluminum frame.  There has been lots of testing to see if there needs to be a thin backing plate to prevent warping or sagging.  As it turns out they are ridged enough that nothing is needed.  But a caution for my install for mounting the panels North / South  between the two roof vents was air flow getting under the panels while driving.  If I do see any wind ( not likely) then a simple poly air deflector will solve it.

I ordered 3 panels and since they have a higher voltage I'm choosing to use a MPPT controller and wire them in parallel to get more amps.  Also Overland Solar provides 90 degree SAE plugs to FWC.  

Talking to Brian at Overland Solar I was impressed with his customer service.  They live off the grid and use and test their products.  They are busy and travel a lot to shows and events where I needed to leave a message and they will get back when available.

Hope that answers your questions.....

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#62 crashmaster

crashmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGirdwood, Alaska

Posted 11 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

We have one of the new hawks (2019) and it has the Overland Solar 160w flexible panel, mounted on an aluminum frame, mounted to roof tracks with the Overland Solar charge controller. We would like to have more solar.

Two questions:

Has anyone with the new panel added a second panel on the roof or have suggestions on where we can go on the westcoast to do that?

Also as I do have a 100 watt flexible panel that can plug into the external port that was provided, will the charge controller be sufficient to handle the extra wattage?

I have a 2018 Hawk with the factory installed Yakima racks and 160W Overland Solar panel.  I was going to get an additional 160W  Overland Solar panel until I discovered that the way Yakima racks were mounted I could not fit the additional OS panel.  All they needed to do was install the yakima racks 2.0" further aft and then the solar panel would fit behind the rear roof vent.  I guess that was not possible, which puzzles me.  I will still get another 160W panel but I need to configure some customized aluminum frame that will shave off 2.0" from the way the original panel is mounted on the track.

#63 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:37 AM

A suggestion would be to get another length of Yakima track and extend the rear to your liking.  Cut the track to two lengths.  Remove the existing rear end cap. Lay down some butyl tape.  Butt the new track to existing.  Add more "T" nuts. Attach the end caps. Screw the tracks to the roof, you might need to add a screw hole near the new end.  

Add your new panel now where you want it at the camper rear behind the vent.

Good luck....

I have a 2018 Hawk with the factory installed Yakima racks and 160W Overland Solar panel.  I was going to get an additional 160W  Overland Solar panel until I discovered that the way Yakima racks were mounted I could not fit the additional OS panel.  All they needed to do was install the yakima racks 2.0" further aft and then the solar panel would fit behind the rear roof vent.  I guess that was not possible, which puzzles me.  I will still get another 160W panel but I need to configure some customized aluminum frame that will shave off 2.0" from the way the original panel is mounted on the track.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#64 crashmaster

crashmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGirdwood, Alaska

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

A suggestion would be to get another length of Yakima track and extend the rear to your liking.  Cut the track to two lengths.  Remove the existing rear end cap. Lay down some butyl tape.  Butt the new track to existing.  Add more "T" nuts. Attach the end caps. Screw the tracks to the roof, you might need to add a screw hole near the new end.  

Add your new panel now where you want it at the camper rear behind the vent.

Good luck....

That is an excellent idea, thank you.  

#65 kramme

kramme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:15 PM

Thanks Crashmaster for the response, sounds like you were in the same boat as me wanting to add another panel.

Pvstoy thanks for the idea you posted. I will look into now as well.

Crashmaster, let us know what you end up doing, I will as well (it may be a month or two for this project).

Edited by kramme, 23 August 2019 - 11:17 PM.

2019 F250 and Hawk (Woolrich Edition)

#66 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:23 AM

Can someone indicate where on the top of a Four Wheel Camper they are now installing the roof mounted SAE port?   Ours will be a Grandby with two roof vents and I wondered where on the shell they place the SAE connector?  I would assume it would be towards the rear of the camper on the side but I saw a picture of someones camper on this site and it looks more like in the middle but I wasn't sure I was looking at the SAE connector.

Thank you!

I have a 2015 Hawk w/ two roof vents, and the port is between them, about in the middle from front to back, but more towards the left (driver's side) of the camper.  I have 3 rigid panels on my roof, a 160W in the middle and 2 - 80 W panels, one in front of the front vent and one behind the rear vent.  All 3 panels wired in parallel through the roof port.  

#67 Jsoboti

Jsoboti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:07 PM

Question for anyone with the Overland Solar Semi-Flex 160W panel. I'm installing my own and attempting to recreate the manner by which FWC attaches them to the Yakima tracks. Z-bar for the long ends of the panel using stainless nuts/washers/bolts through the grommets already on the panel as well as VHB tape.

Wondering if any support along the short edge of the panel is necessary? Does FWC have some sort of support on the short edge? I could use thin pieces of aluminum stock and some VHB tape along the short edges to increase rigidity without drilling new holes into the panel. Not sure if its necessary. Thoughts and comments appreciated! 

2014 F-350 | 2019 FWC Hawk | King Suspension 

#68 wicked1

wicked1

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:51 PM

I don't know how FWC does it...   When I made frames for my flexible panels, I did use aluminum cross members.. 4 crossing between the two long sides.  And, I did use double sided tape on them, to hold the panels down.
I should have taken photos, but didn't..

Also, I used 1/8" thick aluminum for everything, and should have gone heavier.. The entire frame/panel assembly is quite flexible.  I ended up putting mid-span supports on it, because the middle was sagging.

Been using it for about 2 years now, and no signs of problems.  I'm using SolGo panels, which use the same solar cells as the Overland panels. 

Edited by wicked1, 20 January 2022 - 02:56 PM.

#69 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 January 2022 - 06:03 PM

I have a 2015 Hawk w/ two roof vents, and the port is between them, about in the middle from front to back, but more towards the left (driver's side) of the camper.  I have 3 rigid panels on my roof, a 160W in the middle and 2 - 80 W panels, one in front of the front vent and one behind the rear vent.  All 3 panels wired in parallel through the roof port.  

Similar to this...2016 Hawk, FWC 160w Zamp and I added 170w Zamp [both rigid]...two roof vents...parallel with Victron MPPT

#70 blitzkrieg3002

blitzkrieg3002

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 07:35 PM

Brian wired a 90 degree SAE plug to match the reverse polarity of the FWC.  My panels are wired in Parallel. 

I've been searching for a 90 Degree SAE plug/adapter and can't find one.  You got a source/link for one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users