Photo
- - - - -

Am I out of luck with 1,200 lbs of payload?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 breeves2245

breeves2245

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBella Vista, AR

Posted 05 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

I posted this in the Hallmark and other forum. Someone responded saying they have an 2015 ATC Panther Shell on their 2002 Silverado 1500, it weighs 790 lbs. Anyone have something similar? I figured with my limited payload of 1,200, a cab-over popup is out of the question. I would be so excited if I had an option with a cab-over even if it was a shell.

Really struggling trying to find an option for my 2002 Silverado 1500. Went to the Cat Scales today and confirmed what I had estimated. GVWR is 6200, truck weight with me and a full tank is 4986, so 1214 for payload. Figured no chance for a truck camper with this truck and ain't too excited about parting with 25k+ for a 3/4 or 1 ton used truck.

Truck camper magazine had the new Phoenix Custom Popup Geo Den Flip highlighted. It's light enough for my rig. Got me looking around and I see the Capri Cowboy in the same weight range of 700-800lbs. Both models are no cab-over types.

Trying to think through the pros/cons. Geo Den in the 17k range, Cowboy around 10k. Called Capri today and as the reviews state, got right to a live person with time to talk to me.

Prefer the Cowboy but one issue is really bugging me. It's only 5' tall. I'm 6'0". This will be used for mostly outings to fish lakes in my state and an occasional longer trip to a national park. Single Joe, so just me.

So I am not viewing this as a full RV type rig, just a place to sleep, make coffee, etc. But the always bending over issue is my hang up. The Geo Den has the popup tent making the height 84" but that extra room cost me about 7k.

I have never used an RV, so can't really visualize if the 5' ceiling is really that big of a deal.

Any members here with some sage advice?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:14 AM

I think a good number, if not most people here follow all the forums, so I’m not sure if you’ll get a great deal of different info from your first post.

I have an ATC Bobcat that has most options excepting a water system and stove. It weighs close to 1000 pounds. In my book, ATC is a fantastic builder. My guess is you’ll find them very easy to work with. If you’re good with wood working, you can build out a shell as you discover what you need. Do get an electrical system and furnace if you go the shell route. You can also have the water fill door and sink drain cut in for future use. Jeff and Marty (the owners) are great. I worked mostly with Marty.

You might find airbags for your truck a good idea.

I am haunted by waters

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

ATC does build them light. I agree with Sage, contact Jeff or Marty at ATC, they can set you up.

I have an ATC Panther, pretty loaded on a Toyota Tundra.  I'm sure it is over 1000 lbs. and is no problem for my Truck.

logo1.jpg

For minimum weight you can go with a shell and add in what you need, if anything.

Shell-model-layout%20%281%29.png

Also keep in mind that ATC makes many sizes in a short bed camper.  The Panther is the largest.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 05 January 2018 - 06:36 AM

I have an ATC Bobcat shell that weighed in at at about 550 lbs before I started the interior build. I added several hundred pounds and I drive a Ford Ranger (much smaller than your rig). The 790 lbs. for a Panther shell sounds accurate.

gallery_2702_328_629503.jpg

Talk to Marty or Jeff about doing the extra height on the pop-up soft side material to make it more comfortable for you.

#5 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:35 PM

The other comments are on. If you go with an ATC shell and build it out for weight and what you want, it should work. Our Ocelot works well on our 05 Tundra. Stove, Propex furnace, dinette, bed, full complement of drawers. No idea what it weighs, but the Tundra goes up and down Teton Pass , Wyoming (10% grades and 8200") with no issues.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Like a lot of people on this forum, I've had my fully loaded Eagle (with quite some gear; chairs, tools, food, dog, 2 people, bbq, etc., etc.) on a 2001 Dodge Dakota (and now Ram 1500) and have no issues.  Like others will state, you need better LT tires and airbags or a spring pack.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 05 January 2018 - 03:24 PM

FWIW, I've got a 2014 Tacoma 6' bed with a Four Wheel Camper Fleet model. I didn't build it out - ordered it done.

For just-in-case, I added OME Heavy duty 2" lift kit and airbags (I don't think I really need the airbags, but I'd already bought them and they did smooth the ride).

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#8 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:05 PM

Imho, I like many/most 1/2 ton trucks carrying any kind of slide in campers are at/over gvw. The best thing to do in our case is beef up suspension and respect the weight.

#9 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I started with a 1/2 ton truck. You can do it on a 1/2. Beef up the rear suspension, including shocks D or E range tires. Keep you gear to a minimum and drive your vehicle with the extra load in mind.

#10 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:45 AM

Kind of a late answer on this post but I have a 2007 Tundra ( 1/2 ton ) and  in January of 2018 installed a used 1998 Sunlite 8 foot long on the 6 1/2 bed. With the weight of it sitting at 1300 lbs all I did was added a leaf spring kit and when my present Michelins die will go to an e rated tire. Had no issues with the Tundra/ Camper fully loaded on the many trips I did last year.  

Hope you have figured it out in the mean while

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users