10 replies to this topic

#1 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

I have a 2017 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, 4X4, 6 foot bed with a 2017 FWC Fleet installed.  I have installed a set of BFG A/T 265/70 R16 tires and a Firestone Ride-Rite #2558 air spring kit.

I am looking for advice in air pressures to use on the air springs and tires.

As part of my research on the air springs, I watched a couple of videos showing setting the air spring pressure by measuring the distance between the top of the tire and the wheel opening above on the fronts and using air pressure in the rears to match that measurement.  Is this a valid technique?  

How do I balance the tire pressures between the front and back tires?

Thank you for any advice.

Mike

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#2 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

What weight range tires are you using? C,D,E? It makes a difference. C range tires max at around 45psi. E range max at 80+!

I would weigh the truck loaded at each axle and overall. Then contact BFG and tell them what you are hauling and the axle weights. They can then guide you through how much to inflate the tires.

I measured my truck empty and then raise the rear to get close to that with the camper in it. on my 1st gen Tundra with an Eagle (narrow Fleet) it's around 30psi.

Those Frontiers are nice trucks. My Bud's has well over 200k on it. Pulls my boat like it's not even there.

#3 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:40 AM

I've got a 2007 NISMO Nissan Frontier King Cab with an Eagle on it.  I'm running BFG KO2's.  With the camper empty I run 40F/45R.  With it loaded for trips I run 42/48.  In my airbags I run 60psi left, 45 psi right.  These are the pressures it took to bring the bed of the truck back to where it was without the camper in it.  The left side of my Eagle is heavier than the right due to the water, fridge, propane, etc being on that side.  It has taken me a while to fine tune the above pressures, but they work great for me. 

Good luck!

-Rick

Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#4 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 07:09 PM

I've got a 2007 NISMO Nissan Frontier King Cab with an Eagle on it. I'm running BFG KO2's. With the camper empty I run 40F/45R. With it loaded for trips I run 42/48. In my airbags I run 60psi left, 45 psi right. These are the pressures it took to bring the bed of the truck back to where it was without the camper in it. The left side of my Eagle is heavier than the right due to the water, fridge, propane, etc being on that side. It has taken me a while to fine tune the above pressures, but they work great for me.

Good luck!
-Rick

Are your tires E rated? I spoke with BFG and gave them the front are rear axle weights and they told me 50psi when loaded front and rear. I would go to a scale and see what you are dealing with. Then call BFG. As far as the bags go I try to get it level side to side and front to back. Typically around 35 psi.

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#5 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Yes - my tires are E rated.  Made an INCREDIBLE difference in sway and stability with the camper in.  I tried putting more air in the stock tires to beef up the ride, but it caused uneven wearing and were still pretty squishy and swayed.  The stiffer sidewalls make a big difference in stability and ride and are more robust when off road.  A bit stiff when the campers not in - but that's ok.

#6 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

On my lifted Tundra, I run 60#F/65#R on in my BFG KO2 A/T E rated tires.  Airbags as need to level the rig front and rear.  Usually in the 50 - 55# range, sometimes a little more on the drivers side because more of the camper weight is on that side.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

wow, 50#?  How much sag are you correcting for.

#8 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:36 AM

wow, 50#?  How much sag are you correcting for.

The TRD suspension on the Tundra TRD Pro gives it a good 2+" lift but is not really all that stiff.  To get the truck into a levelish state it takes a good bit of air.

Edited by gaylon, 08 January 2018 - 02:36 AM.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#9 kestrel69

kestrel69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend WA

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Do you find that E rated tires and air bags are enough to handle the weight of your FWC on the smaller trucks?   I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X that I am going to be installing a Swift.  I already run E rated tires and have been debating just adding air bags (probably Firestone), going with some kind of spring upgrade.....or possibly both.   I plan to have the camper off the vehicle about 1/2 the time, so want a set up that isn't going to be too stiff without the camper.

#10 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:41 AM

On my 2007 Frontier Nismo (earlier version of Pro 4X) with an Eagle I run E rated tires and air bags and find them very adequate.  I take the camper off in the winter so like the ability to not be stiff during that time as I can let the air out of the air bags.  Never felt the need for a spring upgrade, but that's not saying I wouldn't like it if I did it.  But for me, it is a very stable solid ride on and off rd with the E rated tires and air bags.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: airbag pressure, tire pressure, air spring pressure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users