James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

The suspension upgrade is complete.

I scored a set of 4 Bilstein 5100's and OME 887 Coils new from a private seller in Texas for $440. Then I picked up some OME HD Dakar leaf springs,EL096R, with the OME Add-a-Leaf EL46XL.

I did a bunch of research on how to configure the suspension for the camper, which weighs 850lbs empty. With water and gear, I'm probably over the GVWR. Whatever. I figured some beefy suspension upgrades would take care of that, and it has. I read on this forum that people have installed the same leaf package as I have AND airbags. Seems to me that HD springs with the AAL and airbags is overkill. I've discovered that I probably didn't even need to install the Add-a-Leaf.  OME HD Dakar leaf springs alone would handle the load. I may remove the AAL in the future, so the truck drives better without the camper. Put them up for sale here.

The brake lines did not need to be extended nor was there a problem with the E-Brake line and I didn't have to install a carrier bearing drop kit. I tried to reuse the stock bushings. The truck has 23k on it. The front bushings came out easy enough but it was next to impossible to get the rear out without destroying them. My advice, buy a new set of bushings along with a set of longer U-bolts.

-Kirk Out

Pre-Lift:

tacomapre-lift.jpg

Post-Lift:

tacomapost-lift.jpg

With Load:

tacomapost-lift2.jpg

#12 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:46 AM

Before heading south for a week one more thing needs to be done. Bed extension!

1/2" plywood

1x4 hardwood

1x8 hardwood

I cut the ply to extend the bed 24" then sanded and sprayed several coats of lacquer. The strength of the extension lies in the crossbeam slipped onto the edge of the ply. I wanted to do the whole thing in hardwood but the lame hardware stores here in moab just didn't have any decent pieces of hardwoods. The cross beam is two layers of wood with pine on the outside and on the inside a couple smaller pieces of maple I had lying around to make the slot that the ply will slide into. Router the edges, sand, spray lacquer. again.

bobcatslider3.jpg

Fortunately I had the 1x4 maple to create the ledgers on either side that the extension slides on. Need a solid piece of wood here. You can screw into a horizontal aluminum bar that seems to be placed in the frame for just that application.

bobcatslider4.jpg

While in Grand Junction getting the aforementioned copper tubing, we picked up some 4" foam and fabric from 'Hobby Lobby' and my crafty wife got to work on the cushion.

Et Voila! A bed that is basically 6' by 6'! Super comfy for us to sleep North-South. Yay!  -Kirk Out

bobcatslider.jpg

bobcatslider2.jpg

#13 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:03 AM

Looks good! Thanks for posting about your suspension improvements. I have been noodling doing something along those lines for a while.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#14 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

Looks good! Thanks for posting about your suspension improvements. I have been noodling doing something along those lines for a while.

Checked out your blog, wow! Great trips! You've performed some modifications I'm interested in doing as well. Cutting access to the 120v outlet, AT gas can carriers, rear spot lights, back up camera....ect. Great info!

Where did you get the bits and pieces to create the sliding door covering the 120v access hole? I'm also looking for a source for that 1/2" laminated ply that ATC uses to create interior cabinets.....Kirk Out

#15 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Checked out your blog, wow! Great trips! You've performed some modifications I'm interested in doing as well. Cutting access to the 120v outlet, AT gas can carriers, rear spot lights, back up camera....ect. Great info!

Where did you get the bits and pieces to create the sliding door covering the 120v access hole? I'm also looking for a source for that 1/2" laminated ply that ATC uses to create interior cabinets.....Kirk Out

Thanks for the compliment on the blog! I write it mostly to remind myself what I've done and where we've gone. :)

I got the access door material from ATC when we picked up the camper- I already knew I was going to cut that hole. You might check with them. Otherwise, it is pretty standard paneling and edging that you might find at Lowe's or similar. Same with the plywood- check your local building supply places- not sure what's available in your locale.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#16 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

Time for a vacation! Headed down to Jacks Canyon just South of Winslow AZ for some climbing. Still not warm enough, teens at night! Whew, condensation! Anybody have an arctic pack they don't need? I'm in the market...!

tacomajacks.jpg

Then farther down south to Cochise Stronghold near Tombstone. Still chilly but lows were in the high 20's. Sunny days, great climbing. Can't wait to go back. -Kirk Out

tacomacochise.jpg

tacomacochise2.jpg

#17 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Heater question, I need to add one to my Fleet, did you just run the exhaust out the side?  Where is the propane?  

Thanks

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#18 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

His propane is in a box  on the driver side over the rear wheel. With your Fleet, the propane is likely in a different location if you have a stove or 3 way fridge. If you have no propane appliances currently, you will have to retrofit a container for the propane before installing a heater.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#19 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

No propane for me, considering a heater and an external tank.  Probably next winter.  

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#20 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 29 January 2018 - 03:30 AM

Exhaust is going out the back of the camper. You can see it in the photo's. Still working on a better exhaust port.

Agonaut20 is correct about the propane.

-Kirk Out

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bobcat, tacoma, composite bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users