Tacoma FWC Hodakaguy OME BP51 Dakar FIrestone Airbags Daystar Cradles

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

With our Unimog sold we set our sights on new adventures.

After two big projects I'm ready to do less building and more using. My mind set is changing for now, I want to do as much camping and traveling as possible while my son is at the right age. This build will be more bolting stuff on than fabricating.

Selecting a Vehicle: We wanted a newer reliable vehicle that will haul the whole family and be capable off road at the same time.  We also want another Four Wheel Camper to carry on the back for family trips as we really liked our past FWC.

We've always been a big fan of the Toyota Tacoma so my father and I set out to look at Tacoma's.  We both liked the TRD Off Road quad cab model in the Quicksand color so now we own matching rigs :-)

Not as cool as the Unimog but these will be practical for our intended use.

Planned upgrades:

OME BP-51 bypass shocks - Good suspension makes a HUGE difference.
Dakar rear spring packs
Firestone air bags with Daystar Cradles
Onboard air
Dual Battery Setup
Canopy with roof rack
ARB Fridge
SSO Hybrid bumper with 30" LED
Winch
wheels/tires

Nitro 4.88 Gears
Misc

The Trucks

IMG_2438-X2.jpg

IMG_2468-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#2 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:44 AM

On the test drive with my truck there was a noticeable vibration that felt like a tire out of balance, the roads around the dealer were in pretty poor cond and I eventually chocked it up to the road.  Once on the highway heading home it became apparent that there is a tire balance issue at 54-60mph then again around 70.  We were in a hurry to get on the road for home so we wouldn't be getting back super late so I figured I would deal with it at my local dealer once home.

Once we arrived home I scheduled an appointment for a tire balance at my local dealer.  The service manager took a ride with me and said he had a hard time feeling the vibration, I let him drive next and he then said he could feel it.  They re-balanced the tires and said the problem was gone....Nope.  On the drive home it still had the vibration issue just slightly better.

The next morning my father came over so I swapped wheels and tires from his truck to mine.

IMG_2470-X2.jpg

My fathers canopy had came in so we took a test drive over to get the canopy installed on his truck.  Once on the road the vibration was completely gone on my truck and my father said his truck now had the vibration.  We will stop at the dealer again after the canopy install.

Leer canopy installed on my fathers truck.  When doing off road trips we will use the canopy's to carry gear and support a roof top tent. 

IMG_2471-X2.jpg

We stopped at the local Toyota dealer again on the way home and told them about swapping wheels/tires and the problem going with it.  They said they just put a lift kit on a brand new 18 TRD OR and they would just take my 4 wheels and tires and swap me out with a complete new set.  After an hr or so I had a fresh set of wheels/tires and they were driving nice and smooth.  Great customer service this time around!

Hodakaguy

#3 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

First mod is to get rid of the ugly looking chrome grill.  We changed my father's grill out when he first got his truck and I ordered my grill shortly after.  The Toyota Pro grill is $400 which is way steep for a piece of plastic, luckily there are exact knock offs from China on Ebay for $140.  I was leery of ordering one at first but after reading a lot of reviews we took the chance.  Our grills both came packaged extremely well and the units were in excellent cond, I've held the OEM pro grill and can't tell any difference between the two.

The ugly looking chrome cheese grater grill

IMG_2735-X2.jpg

The Pro Grill came packed very well

IMG_2726-X2.jpg

IMG_2727-X2.jpg

Side by side

IMG_2738-X2.jpg

IMG_2739-X2.jpg

And installed.  Simple mod but it really changes the overall look of the truck

IMG_2745-X2.jpg

IMG_2742-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

#4 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:45 AM

One of the first camping/overland components showed up.....ARB fridges.  REI was having a close out sale on some ARB refrigerators and allowed the use of a 25% off coupon coupled with the sale.  ARB also had a rebate going on where you could get a limited edition map print cover for the units free if you purchased the units in December.  We ended up each snagging a unit.   The ARB fridge is a true compressor refrigerator/freezer.  They will keep stuff frozen on 90 plus degree days and take very little power to run.  We will use them in the back of the trucks on desert trips and I will fab a mount to utilize one of the units in the Four Wheel Camper as well.

Fridges waiting to keep something cold.

IMG_2486-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

#5 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

Ok...Lets get this build rolling!

Parts have started to arrive and it's time to get the trucks ready for upcoming adventures this spring.  Oh yeah!!

Picked up a large box of parts today from FedEx.  I was planning on unloading the pallet and loosely placing it all in the truck but the pallet actually fit in the bed!  Sweet!

IMG_2840-X3.jpg

LOTS of parts.....and LOT of work ahead.

P1120260-X3.jpg

Upper Control Arms.  Decided to give the Delta Joints a try in hopes of a little longer life compared to a Uniball Joint....Time will tell.

P1120211-X3.jpg

Well with 1200 miles on the truck it's time to get a little Invasive!! lol.

Stock....

P1120215-X3.jpg

Up on 5 Ton Jack Stands.

P1120217-X3.jpg

With the wheels/tires removed we stacked them under the middle of the frame on each side, this will be a backup safety just in case anything was to bump the truck off the stands.

P1120220-X3.jpg

P1120221-X3.jpg

Stock rear suspension....with the mighty TRD OFF ROAD Shocks.

P1120224-X3.jpg

Just a little bit of Difference between the OEM unit and the OME BP-51 Rear.  I've read a lot of good on the BP-51's, can't wait to try them out! Initial quality looks amazing!

P1120227-X3.jpg

Continued Below......

#6 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

Continued from above.....

Time to pull the Differentials.  We will be re-gearing both trucks with Nitro 4.88 Gearing.  The stock gearing on these trucks is insanely high, even with stock tires the trans hunts between 5th and 6th constantly with any bit of elevation change on the Highway.  With the overly Tall overdrive and 285/75-R16 tires the 4.88's should make the truck a lot more fun to drive :-)

Draining the Oil on the Rear Diff......Ahhhhh the aroma of gear oil :-)
P1120232-X3.jpg

Remove the guard and connectors for the rear locker.
P1120236-X3.jpg

P1120242-X3.jpg

Placing paint marks to index the drive line so it goes back on in the same orientation.

P1120238-X3.jpg

Disconnect the Drive line from the 3rd member.

P1120240-X3.jpg

Pull the bolts on the E-brake cable to give some slack to slide the axles out.

P1120243-X3.jpg

Sliding the axle out.  Remove the 4 bolts holding the axle onto the housing, also remove the brake line connection (You can skip this step by removing the anchor points for the brake line along the axle and get enough slack, this will keep you from having to bleed the brakes but I'm installing longer SS brake lines so it won't matter in my case).  Also disconnect the ABS sensor connectors.

Side note....I got in a hurry here and didn't clean off the flange areas before pulling the axle.  It was cleaned after this picture and I pre-cleaned the other side before pulling to ensure no dirt falls on the axle/seals.  A small plastic cap was installed to keep brake fluid from dripping out.
P1120244-X3.jpg

3rd member removed from the truck.
P1120247-X3.jpg

At this point I slid the axles back into place and bolted everything back up to keep everything clean until the new gears are ready to be re-installed.
P1120249-X3.jpg

Axle sealed up and waiting.
P1120257-X3.jpg

Stock 3rd member out of the truck.
P1120251-X3.jpg

P1120253-X3.jpg
P1120256-X3.jpg

Nitro 4.88 gearing with REM Polishing.
P1120266-X3.jpg

That's it for today.....Lots more to come.

Hodakaguy

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

This is going to be fun. Jelly already. 

#8 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

I'm also getting ready to go to 4.88 gears, tired of the constant downshift, I'm running 255/85/16. Going to be sweet. I too hate the chrome, looking good, keep it up.  Ron

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Something's wrong with my eyesight- I'm seeing double. :blink: But I'll enjoy following along anyway...  :D 

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

More Progress.....

This morning I decided to check compatibility with my spring compressor on the front shocks, The BP-51 Units are internal bypass shocks so the body is wider than most limiting use of most spring compressors.

I purchased this unit about 5 years ago and it has been awesome on all my projects, so much easier and safer than a cheap spring compressor.  It has different size cups to match your spring diameter and you compress by turning the single bolt head at the bottom.

P1130284-X3.jpg

P1130285-X3.jpg

P1130296-X3.jpg

Now to check compatibility with the Shock.  With any aluminum body shock you should relieve tension on the spring before making adjustments to the collar, otherwise damage can occur to the aluminum threads.

P1130287-X3.jpg

P1130288-X3.jpg

And success!  Not a lot of clearance but the spring cups do clear the body!

P1130295-X3.jpg

P1130294-X3.jpg

Now to get the front diff out of the truck.

Drained the front diff oil and removed the brake calipers, hub assemblies, sway bar connections, tie rod connections, axles etc. on each side.

P1130297-X3.jpg

Placing index marks on the front drive line connection.

P1130302-X3.jpg

Electrical connectors disconnected and 10mm bolt removed on the upper passenger side that holds the wiring.

P1130304-X3.jpg

Drivers side has a hidden bolt up on top that holds a bracket that needs to be removed, hard to see in this picture.  You can also see the drivers side needle bearing that always fails once lifted, this will be replaced with the ECGS bushing while the diff is out.

P1130306-X3.jpg

Front Diff lowered out of the truck.

P1130307-X3.jpg

P1130309-X3.jpg

P1130311-X3.jpg

P1130319-X3.jpg

Big difference between the OEM and OME :-)

P1130315-X3.jpg

More to come....

Hodakaguy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tacoma, FWC, Hodakaguy, OME, BP51, Dakar, FIrestone, Airbags, Daystar, Cradles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users