Photo

Reccomendations for a better camera strap?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:30 PM

Hi everyone-
As you may know I recently got the D500 along with a couple of lenses and have been playing with it.
With a telephoto lens it is quite heavy and the Nikon strap that came with the camera is probably not as good as it could be so I'm soliciting input on what others are using.
I was looking at the Peak Design and thought it looked interesting but would like to hear from those who have more experience than I...
Thanks.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

I usually like what Steve Huff has to say - http://www.stevehuff.../camera-straps/

Personally, I use a Peak Designs clip on my pack strap - https://www.peakdesi.../clips/capture/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

I’ve used OP/TECH USA straps for years. Nice neoprene padding, so comfortable and non slipping on the shoulder. There are a ton of good straps on the market, which makes it hard to make a wrong choice.

I don’t remember what telephoto you bought, but when they get out in the range of 4-5 pounds, consider using a strap on the lens. These bigger lenses typically have loops for straps. Too much weight/stress on the camera mount can damage it things are dangling from the camera body straps.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

I'm using OP/TECH as well.  Like being able to setup the cameras and binoculars and swap things around between the double sling and single sling straps depending on what I need on a given day.  The heaviest I've put on so far is a gripped D600 with a 200-500 on one side and a D7000 something on the other for a double carry and it was nice to have the flexibility.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:10 PM

OP/TECH is most comfortable, but I don't entirely trust the plastic buckles. Peak Designs is awesome and I've got their anchors on all my bodies, but the straps have no padding. I often remove the strap when shooting by hand or on a 'pod

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:51 PM

I've been using Op/Tech for several years on my Canon 5D and Fuji XE-1. I also keep buckles on my backpack and daypack, mainly to carry binoculars. I like the slim profile of the strap and they have just the right amount of suspension and support. I also really like Op/tech's wrist strap for my Rx100 travel camera. It's perfect for one handed shooting and helps against a snatch and run. I've haven't had any issues with the buckles so far. I was somewhat leary of the thin straps that connect to the camera but haven't had any problems after over a decade of use. The buckles can be a pain to attach so I'd advise buying buckles for each piece of gear you plan to use the strap with.

Edited by Ronin, 16 January 2018 - 05:17 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Once I started using Black Rapid that has been my go to strap. I also use a hand strap for a more secure grip when I shoot. The BR keeps the weight off my neck which is much easier for larger lenses :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

Although it might not work for your set up I use the Magpul strap and love it.

http://www.reallyrig...4-Dual-QD-Sling

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#9 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:34 AM

Highly Recommend Peak Designs!

I have 2 bodies, so their little quick disconnect dongles (strap comes with 4) are a godsend swapping from body to body.

Amazing Quality!

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

+1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users