• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kitmann

kitmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:04 AM

Yikes.  Recently replaced my tried and true 2001 Silverado with a 2013 Silverado and just discovered to my dismay that the truck bed opening at the tail gate is too narrow for my older Hawk.  Also the gate opening is curved at bottom rather than right angle, further complicating things.  Only four options here:

- Get a different truck  ($$$)

- Get a new camper  ($$$$$ + long time)

- Modify truck (cutting and welding, I don't think so)

- Modify camper, cutting rear lower side panels off and moving them in about an inch.  On the right side, just storage, but the furnace is on the left.

Has anyone else had this problem or done what I am contemplating?

Of course, we were planning on leaving for a six week Baja trip the 1st of Feb...  Feel free to call if you've done this  Seven Oh Seven 834 Four Ate Nine Too.

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:45 AM

Have not done this myself, but you could avoid the furnace by cutting 2" one side.  Yes, the camper will sit slightly to one side.

#3 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:34 AM

Here's a couple of quick finds from a Google search "site:www.wanderthewest.com floor pack narrow"

(There are other results but these have lots of photos and seem to do a good job of showing what it would take)

Keystone Rebuild - Narrow Floor Pack, Redo Interior, Paint Exterior

Rebuilding a Grandby

Also saw a post that said ATC did a narrow-job on their camper.

Good luck!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#4 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:37 AM

You don't mention the year of your Hawk.  I have a 2009 GMC with the curved bed opening at the back and a 2013 Hawk (which was actually made to fit a Ford).  I just let the camper squish the rounded corners of the truck bed.  Wasn't a big deal to me, being it's a truck box.

You can avoid this by putting 2X4s under the camper.  This will raise it enough to prevent the bed corners from getting squished.

#5 kitmann

kitmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:48 AM

Old Crow,

Thank you for those links.  Those disassembled photos really help visualize what it will take.  And Vic, I also thought of only doing one side - the one without the appliances. 

Thanks for your help.

Kit Mann

Blue Lake, CA

#6 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

I would second maybe adding some lift to it. If you have it dialed in and it’s paid for adjust it to suit truck

#7 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Maybe try to find a used camper so there is no wait.  Ron

#8 hkyfsh

hkyfsh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEastern Sierra

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:53 AM

I have a 2014 Hawk originally on a 2014 Tundra, bought a 2016 Silverado with the rounded bed at the gate so I took 2 sheets of 3/4 outdoor plywood and sealed them together and placed them under the camper, this raised it enough to give it about 1/4 inch on each side of the rounded bed.

#9 kitmann

kitmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:03 AM

A friend and I determined today that I will only need to cut out a section of the rear lower panels to accommodate the bulge at the bottom of the tailgate jamb.  I will take photos of the project and post when I've done it. 

#10 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

A friend and I determined today that I will only need to cut out a section of the rear lower panels to accommodate the bulge at the bottom of the tailgate jamb.  I will take photos of the project and post when I've done it. 

I look forward to seeing your results.  Best of luck with the project.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, fit, Silverado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users