54 replies to this topic

#41 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:00 PM

You guys are turning into modern Nessmuks, next thing you know, you’ll name your canoe Sairy Gamp.

Yup, I’m there with you :P

I am haunted by waters

#42 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:08 PM

If’n you ever get to the Ads... go to Blue Mountain Lake to the Adirondack museum ....see his boat and a whole lot more... one of my favorite places.

Edited by buckland, 23 February 2018 - 11:09 PM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#43 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

I’d like to, my mother’s family is from upstate, but that’s too close to NYC.

I am haunted by waters

#44 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:53 PM

I feel the same way. There are some nice places in Upstate. But I have no desire to ever go back through NYC. I tend to pass through the state as far west as I can and quickly. I'd rather be lost in the woods than found in a city!

I’d like to, my mother’s family is from upstate, but that’s too close to NYC.

I will probably stop by Hornbeck this spring on my way to VT.

I'd love a lightweight tandem. But for me once you get into tandems the pack canoe concept gets lost. No need for sitting in the floor of a tandem. I want a seat I can sit on or kneel against. Preferably with a backrest.

I used to have a sit in kayak. Nothing special just a little light plastic bathtub I could fish from. I loved it. But as I got older I sold it and went back to a solo canoe with a seat off the floor. Knees and hips are shot. One of my last trips in the yak I was out all day with a friend. When I got back to shore he had to help me out of the boat. Too long sitting down low. I couldn't get my feet under me and stand. Sold it not long afterwards.

As much as I would like a pack canoe I suspect it would be similar. Like was stated earlier in the thread it would just be a light puddle jumper I could put on top the camper and still raise the roof. I would need to be conscious of time in the boat and not over do it.

Otherwise I'll just stick with what I have. My current solo is not real heavy. But these days I prefer to not lift it overhead to load it. I set up an old jetski trailer a while back to carry my boats. This spring I redid it again to carry the solo and a couple of bikes. But there are trips i'd like to have the boat and not the trailer. That's why I'm thinking super light pack boat. Weight is a bigger factor for this than performance.

001 (Small).JPG

Edited by Squatch, 24 February 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#45 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

I have two Lincoln canoes the 18’ is glass and is around 80#. The 17’5” is S glass and around 65#. The 18 is far heavier than I want to mess with, and the 17 is starting to get there. I’d really like a 17-18 tandem in the 40-45# range, but I don’t use them enough to justify that. Maybe a trailer for the 17-5 downeast boat would be the best solution.

I am haunted by waters

#46 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

I too, though only 3 hour drive have been to NYC 3 times in 30 years. I am a hill towner... Berkshires, Green mts VT and the North Maine woods my spots. I just get all riled up in town. Better in the woods
Western Mass is more like Vermont then the rest. Dirt roads no stop signs. I too like a boat that can have a backrest. My whitewater days are mostly past. There is nothing like pushing off at 4:30 AM onto a lake still as a glass of water with fog rising all by yourself knowing the rise will happen soon ... waiting... adrift is some of the best time I have ever felt. Just absorbing with all The senses.

Henry David Thoreau

#47 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

I sold my Old Town Discovery 174 about a year and a 1/2 ago. With my son grown and a outboard jet bassboat to fish from I just wasn't using it much anymore. It was also about 80+ lbs and a beast to deal with. That was my 2nd one. I've had one for over 30 years but not using it the way we once did.

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

Ya I had a Discovery 164 and it weighed in at 84 lbs. I really can’t believe I used to portage that beast.

Henry David Thoreau

#49 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

I too like a boat that can have a backrest.

A canoe with a backrest is a beautiful thing.

060 (Small).JPG

A canoe with a backrest, an umbrella, and a rod in hand is what life's all about!

038 (Small).JPG

Waitin' for warmer weather!

#50 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:16 AM

A canoe with a backrest, an umbrella, and a rod in hand is what life's all about!

That is the life!

So now I've got museums to see on both sides of the country- some road trips are going to have to be made. :)

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users