• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

I have had essentially the same mount as photohc for 2 solar cynergy 120W panels for 6 months now.   I did away with the weld mounts though, and counter sunk the screws in the aluminium bar stock, and VHB taped the bar stock to the roof.   No issues with the mounting system. 

So far so good on the flexible panels - they are giving me about what they should for a flat mounted panel at this time of year  - about 140W peak output, which is ~ 60% of their rating. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#22 verynice

verynice

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:11 PM

So Vic, did you ever find out what the actual percentage of disparity in output between "same" quality flexi versus std. panel?  I didn't have the energy to read that whole 20 pg post... :(

1992 Chevrolet 2500 350 4X4- Utility bed Factory Alaskan Truck/Camper combo-

1999 Northstar TC800, 2000 Six Pac D850, Many Callen Canopies-

2004.5 Dodge 2500 5.9D 4x4-2010 Lance 825-Toyo, Thuren, Solar, Hellwig BigWig everything- current rig

#23 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:24 AM

So Vic, did you ever find out what the actual percentage of disparity in output between "same" quality flexi versus std. panel?  I didn't have the energy to read that whole 20 pg post... :(

LOL.  I don't blame you.  Its a slog!   The flexi panels have been held in reserve for a whole year.  Never needed them in 42 days of camping.  They are NOT as efficient as the hard/heavy panels.  Design tech is all going into big commerical solar panels.  These 12 v flexi panels are mostly for the sailing crowd.

I can still lift my 265 panel, even now that I leave my bed pull out extended and have to push the roof up from essentially the center of the roof.  Much more difficult!  If I had to do it again, I would do the same, but use the biggest highest wattage panel (I think this is 350W today) I could and not bother with the flexi/portable setup.  But then I don't often park in the shade or worry about shade and need my portables.  If I do, I drive to the next location and my 2g wires from the alternator charge the batteries at 80A.... 2 hours and I'm good.   :)

Sooooo, much depends on how you camp, where you camp, and what your expectations are.

#24 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:54 AM

I'm starting to outfit may latest camper and was thinking of using flexible panels instead of traditional. I've noticed most have a 1-2 year warranty while my traditional panels were 20 years and up....Has anyone had one go bad or break? I've used one as a front window sunshield on my Alaskan and it worked pretty well but only had it for about a year. My new camper has a TPO roof and just don't wanna drill or depend on this material to hold a traditional panel :unsure:

i installed a flexible panel I got off Amazon for $109, $19 controller, but 100 Watts is not enough, going to buy a second one, and new batteries, no sun in the South West this winter, killed my batteries

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:25 AM

Ouch.  Batteries dead already?  You might want to spend some $$ on a good controller and some good monitoring gear so you can see what's going on.  

#26 ottorogers

ottorogers

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:04 AM

Ouch. Batteries dead already? You might want to spend some $$ on a good controller and some good monitoring gear so you can see what's going on.

batteries got fully charged, also got sun for 2 days, everything seems fine, maybe did some damage to the batteries, not sure yet, but I need more solar for sure, very cold winter done in the West this year, many days with no sun too

#27 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

Thought I would add a report about my experience with the Zamp 100w flexible panel so others don't make the same mistake. I installed a Grape 180w on the roof and in October purchased the Zamp flexible to use as a portable when camped in the shade. I stored it under the mattress when not in use. I think I only pulled it out two or three times for actual use. It is now completely dead. Zero volts.

I called Zamp and the tech told me that using the flexible panel as a portable is not acceptable. I don't know about other brands, but the Zamp panel is designed to be mounted permanently and not moved around. I sent the panel to Zamp and hopefully they will give me credit on a solid panel or one of their portable units.

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

Thought I would add a report about my experience with the Zamp 100w flexible panel so others don't make the same mistake. I installed a Grape 180w on the roof and in October purchased the Zamp flexible to use as a portable when camped in the shade. I stored it under the mattress when not in use. I think I only pulled it out two or three times for actual use. It is now completely dead. Zero volts.

I called Zamp and the tech told me that using the flexible panel as a portable is not acceptable. I don't know about other brands, but the Zamp panel is designed to be mounted permanently and not moved around. I sent the panel to Zamp and hopefully they will give me credit on a solid panel or one of their portable units.

Please keep us posted on how Zamp resolves this for you. Personally, I’ve found them good to work with.

I am haunted by waters

#29 EnviroProf

EnviroProf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 23 May 2018 - 03:14 PM

Please keep us posted on how Zamp resolves this for you. Personally, I’ve found them good to work with.

Will do. 

2017 Fleet

2013 Tacoma Quad Cab

#30 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

I have 2 GoPower 100W flexible panels mounted directly on top of 2016 Fleet with VHB tape. Installed in spring of 2016. I last measured solar output coming into the GoPower solar controller in February of this year. I measured 18.5Voc, 8.5A (each panel rated at 20Voc and 5.6A) at noon on a clear 75 degree day parked on flat ground in north Florida. Panels have been satisfactory so far, but the solar controller failed. I replaced it with the same GoPower controller since it was still under warranty. (No idea why controller failed.)

Camper is mounted on truck spring-summer-fall months (5-6 months) and otherwise under cover in our car port. I don't have a dedicated battery monitor, so I don't really know much about actual performance except what I can infer from watching the controller monitor. The 2 panels have been adequate for my needs camping primarily in interior western US using two 75ah AGM batteries to provide power for 65L 2-way fridge, lights, fan, furnace. 

Hope this is useful. Good luck with your install.

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users