14 replies to this topic

#1 Southpaw Surfer

Southpaw Surfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast California

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

After a few years of searching for my Hawk I am excited to be going this weekend to purchase one from a friend. 

During those years of searching I have also been lurking on this forum. What a wonderful resource it is. Now that I have a FWC of my own I will be able to contribute to the community and continue to learn from all the experience here.

First question of many no doubt.

I will be traveling 250 miles on mostly highway from pickup to home. 

My question is whether I need to install the eyebolts through the truck bed (The pick up turnaround will be on the quick side) or if the factory eyebolts are sufficient for the travel home?

Then once home I will have the time to make sure everything is exactly how I won't it for the installation.

My gut instinct is that the angle and the gauge of the bolt isn't sufficient and I should make the time and bring everything I need to install through the truck bed. But I'm hoping the expertise here will say the distance and time for this trip will be okay to bring it home this way.

Below is a pic of my Dodge Ram 1500 factory eyebolt for reference.

Thanks much,

Greg

IMG_4989.JPG

Relax and have a homebrew,

Greg
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 FWC Hawk

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:59 AM

Get the info on how to install the eyebolts from FWC or ATC.  Install the bolts prior to leaving to pick up the camper, and bring turnbuckles, carabiners, lengths of chain or whatever to be able to vary the lengths enough to buckle it down.

#3 Southpaw Surfer

Southpaw Surfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:11 AM

I'll do that and then not have to worry. Thanks Vic.

Greg
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 FWC Hawk

#4 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

I use the factory cleats on my Dodge Ram.  I have no plans to drill through the bed.

#5 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Absolutely agree with Vic. You’ve waited years to get it, why wait to do what you’re gonna do eventually and risk damage to either the camper or the truck. Having the eyebolts in place and turnbuckles ready will make it a faster turnaround.
Jim

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:40 PM

Take the time and have it ready. FWC can give you the measurements. The truck tie-downs don't have the structural strength to secure the camper. FWC has also stated that.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

I use the factory cleats on my Dodge Ram.  I have no plans to drill through the bed.

that's dangerous.

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

I'll do that and then not have to worry. Thanks Vic.

If you can get the "kit" from FWC that's worth doing too.  Nice big backing plates and washers and such.

#9 Southpaw Surfer

Southpaw Surfer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:45 AM

I'm buying it from the original owner and it was installed on his truck at the factory. What FWC used originally to install in 2008 (that would be "the kit"?) is what we are going to use tomorrow when I get there.

I'll search the forum and FWC website for installation instructions for a 2008 Hawk on a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 but any guidance and helpful tips is appreciated.

Greg
2009 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 FWC Hawk

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:14 AM

Howdy and glad you were able to find a camper !

I strapped and chained my 2012 Hawk onto the truck bed for long ride home rather than make a quick mess of things in the sellers front yard.

The original owner had aluminum turnbuckles he claimed were "factory" that were pretty lame.

Only you can make the right decision about how to bring it home.....freeway miles or bumpy byways ?

Either way ,  remember to check the camper on the way, stop to admire it and look for loose straps or turnbuckles etc.

Maybe weigh your truck before and after you load it.

It will feel very odd on your truck...it will wiggle a lot along with the truck bed.

OH! and don't walk straight into the jacks while looking things over.

David Graves

PS Should you decide to sleep in the camper on your way home remember it is dang near impossible to raise the roof with the rear door closed ,,,you can hurt your back AND the roof.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: installationtowing, hawk, dodge ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users