• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:08 PM

I have been looking at awnings for my 2014 Eagle shell. Ideally, I'd buy the Batwing, except for the price. I read a thread here about the Fiamma 45 awning and everyone seems to like it, however the 270 degree design seems they way to go, rather than 180 degrees. I found the Foxwing 270 degree awning and its much less expensive. Does anyone have any experience with this product? And has anyone mounted one to a FWC camper? They are designed to mount to a roof rack, which I don't think would work, because of the height of the roof rack once the roof is extended.

Looking for suggestions

Thanks

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

I don't have one but in case you are not already aware, Alu-Cab also makes a 270 degree awning and I have read some good reviews about it.  I think it is around $1500.  There may be other manufacturers of 270 degree awnings as well.

For comparison, I have a Fiamma F45 it covers between 1/2 and 1/3 the area of a 270 degree awning and I believe they run about $800.

I am getting ready to add an awning over the rear door as well as a better shower enclosure.  I thought about one of the 270 degree awnings but I am concerned about such a large area in even modest wind.  Reviews I have read seem to indicate the better made 270 degree awnings are more robust and can handle the wind.

It will be interesting to read what those who actually have these awnings write about their experiences with them.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

I don't have one but in case you are not already aware, Alu-Cab also makes a 270 degree awning and I have read some good reviews about it.  I think it is around $1500.  There may be other manufacturers of 270 degree awnings as well.

For comparison, I have a Fiamma F45 it covers between 1/2 and 1/3 the area of a 270 degree awning and I believe they run about $800.

I am getting ready to add an awning over the rear door as well as a better shower enclosure.  I thought about one of the 270 degree awnings but I am concerned about such a large area in even modest wind.  Reviews I have read seem to indicate the better made 270 degree awnings are more robust and can handle the wind.

It will be interesting to read what those who actually have these awnings write about their experiences with them.

Craig

Craig,

What about the support point of attachment to the FWC?  ...with that surface area and leverage; I personally would be skeptical of the structural integrity as the "wing" moved and flexed on that single attachment point.

Phil

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:50 PM

I too have been thinking of these. Somewhere here is a thread from someone who made poles that are attached to the jack brackets to fasten theirs to. Looked real clean.

The Batwing that FWC uses self stores the upright poles by folding them up into the roof supports.

On the Oztent Foxwing they appear to store in a separate bag. Not a big issue for me though I do like the self storing ones.

The Foxwing also has provisions for zip on side panels. Nice for blocking low late day sun.

Edited by Squatch, 26 February 2018 - 08:52 PM.

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:02 PM

Phil,

I do not understand your question/comment:

"What about the support point of attachment to the FWC?  ...with that surface area and leverage; I personally would be skeptical of the structural integrity as the "wing" moved and flexed on that single attachment point."

The Fiamma awning on the passenger side of my camper is attached high on the sidewall at multiple points (FWC OEM installation). 

To the best of my knowledge the 270 degree awnings attach along the side wall of the camper  Those attach points (I assume multiple) are presumably attached thru the Aluminum frame rail of the camper at the top of the wall (just below the pop-up portion).   However, since I do not have one I really don't know how they are attached.

Below is a photo of a camper without the siding on it and there is a wide aluminum framing member that goes all the way around the top of the camper box.  It is welded to the other frame members and looks pretty stiff to me. 

My first order concerns would be the awning canopy support arms buckling from wind force (rafters? ribs?) and after that how the awning attaches to the camper wall - does it use a long plate against the camper wall or short brackets mounts at each end that could produce leverage points to pull the bolts out - is that what you were getting at?

Edit:   I just looked at how the Fiamma F45 is attached to the side of my camper.  There is a long plate the full length of the awning that is attached to the camper with numerous screws.  It is also attached to the awing body along its full length.  That is the right way to do it. 

DSC08016.JPG

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 27 February 2018 - 12:19 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:25 PM

Phil,

I do not understand your question/comment:

"What about the support point of attachment to the FWC?  ...with that surface area and leverage; I personally would be skeptical of the structural integrity as the "wing" moved and flexed on that single attachment point."

The Fiamma awning on the passenger side of my camper is attached high on the sidewall at multiple points (FWC OEM installation). 

To the best of my knowledge the 270 degree awnings attach along the side wall of the camper  Those attach points (I assume multiple) are presumably attached thru the Aluminum frame rail of the camper at the top of the wall (just below the pop-up portion).   However, since I do not have one I really don't know how they are attached.

Below is a photo of a camper without the siding on it and there is a wide aluminum framing member that goes all the way around the top of the camper box.  It is welded to the other frame members and looks pretty stiff to me. 

My first order concerns would be the awning canopy support arms buckling from wind force (rafters? ribs?) and after that how the awning attaches to the camper wall - does it use a long plate against the camper wall or short brackets mounts at each end that could produce leverage points to pull the bolts out - is that what you were getting at?

DSC08016.JPG

Craig

Craig,

The original Batwing was supported/installed at the upper right rear corner of the FWC frame as I recall....the issue was when in use all the load was at that pivot/support point..you could deploy vertical support rods/braces but the load was at this single point on the FWC frame...flexing in wind/rain produced differing loads at this single point on the frame...perhaps my memory is incorrect..

And hey, I could be wrong... :D

Phil

#7 kluber

kluber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

We've been using a 10' x 10' E-Z Up that sits nicely on the floor of the camper.  It's the last thing to go in and the first thing to come out.  It's all padded, so it doesn't scratch or dent the camper when we're bouncing around off road.  We like it because we don't always park where we're gonna hang out, and because the sun moves and we don't want to move the truck.  The E-Z Up has sides too, so we can block the sun if it's low angle and too intense.  This isn't as slick as an awning, but we're out in the desert a lot and this has served us really well.  You can also get screens for the E-Z Up, which is bonus if you're in the woods and the critters are biting : )  About $300.

It's just better out there :D 
2015 Fleet Rollover Couch
2017 Taco TRD Off Road

#8 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:35 AM

I too have been thinking of these. Somewhere here is a thread from someone who made poles that are attached to the jack brackets to fasten theirs to. Looked real clean.

A guy who was (he has since sold his Fleet for a Sprinter) on here by the name of Broverlanding mounted his Alu Cab with 2x3 angle aluminum to the jack brackets. I will be doing the same thing with an Alu Cab 270 once spring gets closer and the camper is out of storage. The Alu Cabs do great in wind from what I have seen.

Edited by badtoytrd, 28 February 2018 - 01:35 AM.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:18 AM

I forgot about his. Didn't realize he had moved to a sprinter. I just can't keep up! Ha Ha

This is the thread I was thinking about. I had looked at it a couple of weeks ago when doing some homework. Looks like he did a nice job. If I go that route I'll probably do similar.

http://www.wanderthe...g-awning/page-2

#10 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:28 PM

This has all been very helpful, My FWC Eagle never comes off my truck, so using the jack brackets might be the best idea. I emailed Rocky Mountain FWC to see if they have any ideas. The frame photos were great, I didn't know that the FWC had a aluminum rail all around the top of the sides. But I was trying to figure out how to keep the roof clamps functional, the aluminum posts that NWcamper designed solve that problem

With regards to wind, rain, the Foxwing has poles and stakes, so it would work in a gentle rain and low wind, if it's really blowing, I'm gonna stay inside the FWC, LOL. I like the self-supporting feature of the alu cab awning, except the price is up there with the bat wing awning. Foxwing is around $850. I'm usually not in that much of a hurry to setup camp and spending a few minutes with poles and stakes/sand bags wouldn't bother me. 

We just finished 9 nights camping at Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas in their 4WD backcountry campsites and could have used more shade than the camper itself generated from 2-4pm. We tried to finish hiking before the hottest part of the day.

We have reservations for the White Rim Trail in May and I really think I need something for shade. I'll keep everyone up to date with my progress. 

Thanks again to everyone, if anyone else has any ideas, please post.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foxwing, awning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users