• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

Update on price. Adventure-ready.com has the Foxwing 2.0 for $539 and the Foxwing 2.5 for $679. The 2.0 is only 78" long, so it wouldn't interfere with the mid roof roof clamp. The 2.5 is 98" long.

Edited by larryqp, 01 March 2018 - 01:55 PM.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#12 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

I heard from Josh at Rocky Mt FWC yesterday. To summarize, he said that FWC reviewed the 270 degree awning, decided that the Manta 270 was a product they could stand behind and developed a bracket for it to allow it to be mounted on FWC campers. The bracket is unique for that brand and can't be used on the Foxwing. They suggested if the cost of a 270 was to high I might consider a side mount Fiamma awning which they mount. They also stated the Shadow 270 by All-cab is the best out there.

Bottom line if I want the Foxwing, I will have to install myself.

My jack stands brackets are more than 78" apart, and I liked to stay with the smaller foxing to avoid interference with the roof clamps. My jack brackets are more than 78" apart, so that method won't work.

I'm thinking to use a 2x3 aluminum stock suggested in a previous post. with short aluminum posts to get the foxing above the roof line so it clears the door.

My hesitation is that I really would like to hear from someone who has a Foxwing. I'll keep researching.

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#13 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:31 PM

I find it strange that they “stand behind” the Manta but say that the Shadow is the best. This may have something to do with Paul May (awesome dude and shop) being a FWC and Eezi Awn dealer as well as the importer for them. From watching a few videos the Manta hinge seems to be weak and deflect quite a bit. The Fox Wing seems to be a contender but just a tad bit less solid.

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#14 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:42 AM

We have been camped for the last 3 weeks on a beach in Baja. The wind has been almost constant and our Batwing Awning has been deployed for all but 1 night.  I staked it down with long sand stakes and use chinch knots (trucker's hitch) to make sure it is taught.  I noticed that the poles had worked themselves down into the sand and the lines were becoming slack so I tightened them and added some bags of sand (canvas grocery bags), to hold it all down.  The awning is like a flat plain, so the wind does not billow it up, but rather just flaps the nylon canopy.  As far as stress to the center pivot, the hinges are designed so they can sag when you first deploy it and when you undeploy it.  That sag is what takes the stress off the pivot point with the normal movement in the wind.   It's not like the awning rafters are on a rigid hinge.

This is our second Baja trip since we purchased our 2016 Grandby in Dec, 2016.  We used our awning in the same way on the first trip.  It has been deployed for long periods of time where ever we camp with no problems.  It was also use on our 3 month Alaska trip this summer where it rained a whole lot of the time.  

FWC's mounting of the Batwing is bomber.  It is mounted thru the structural member at the top of the camper frame with 3 aluminum plates on the inside of the camper.  

One of the biggest reason I like the Batwing is that all the structural parts are metal.  No plastic to fail.  It's easy to deploy fold back in.  

X2 on Paul May being a great guy.  He is our FWC dealer in Salt Lake City and really took care of us when we had to get the bugs out of our camper after it's 3 month break in trip to Baja.  

A lot of other campers say they are really impressed with our Batwing Awning.  The downside is they are more expensive, but IMHO, I probably won't need to buy a replacement for a long time so they are worth it.   

#15 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:41 PM

Camper Rich, Thanks for the details on the awning. I think I'm convinced that its worth the extra cash to get the Batwing. I'm not convinced the Foxwing will handle any breeze unless staked down. Of course now Foxing is coming out with a new version, so I'll have to see what that is like. Did you have your Batwing installed at the factory or Salt Lake City FWC?

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#16 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

Check out awnings at BundutecUSA

#17 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:14 AM

Camper Rich, Thanks for the details on the awning. I think I'm convinced that its worth the extra cash to get the Batwing. I'm not convinced the Foxwing will handle any breeze unless staked down. Of course now Foxing is coming out with a new version, so I'll have to see what that is like. Did you have your Batwing installed at the factory or Salt Lake City FWC?

FWC installed the Batwing on our new (at the time) Grandby.

#18 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 02:02 PM

I received an email from FWC Factory, they will sell me the brackets to attach a Eezi Awn Batwing awning to the camper for $55. They said they are pre-drilled for that specific awning and I'll have to relocate the front side roof latch. As always the factory guys are awesome. Knowing I can get the correct brackets is another check on the Eezi Awn Bat wing purchase. 

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#19 Kali

Kali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

I received an email from FWC Factory, they will sell me the brackets to attach a Eezi Awn Batwing awning to the camper for $55. They said they are pre-drilled for that specific awning and I'll have to relocate the front side roof latch. As always the factory guys are awesome. Knowing I can get the correct brackets is another check on the Eezi Awn Bat wing purchase. 

Did they tell you where to drill the holes, or can they provide a template where they drill?

#20 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Here's what they said:

"We do not include instructions for the install. We can give you a rough measurement to go by. You will also have to relocate the right side, front latch forward, to clear the awning."

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foxwing, awning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users