• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 marengineer

marengineer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

I'd like to see if members have any experience with the following before I reach out to ATC:

1. Does ATC offer exterior painting as an option? If so, what can I expect to spend or should I just find a local auto body shop?

2. Are the exterior panels made from fiberglass or aluminum? Is FWC silver exterior painted fiberglass or aluminum?

3. Could a person fit through the front sliding window (assuming the cab window was big enough) to allow emergency egress to the truck cab?

4. I know this question depends on flatbed construction, but in general, is a shell flatbed camper going to be taller than a slide in camper? The reason I ask is I am looking to ship my vehicle in a container and I have height restrictions. 

Thank you for your time.

-J

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:56 PM

Call them and ask about the painting, but I suspect they would also just use a body shop. Siding is aluminum. No idea about FWC.

Sliders tend to leak, but you might be able special order a big one (I wouldn’t because of leaks).

I am haunted by waters

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

Regarding emergencies... the large window on the side is made for that purpose (at least on mine).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

I believe FWC stopped doing the sliders because of the leakage problem. They have a fiberglass option.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

Talk to Marty at ATC as he can tell you any detail about the camper you wish to know. Email also works for getting the details you want.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#6 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

And it's worth working with ATC because they will work with you to make any modifications you want/need.  I can't say enough good about them.

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

I do miss having a window pass through to the cab to reach for things that you forgot to bring to the camper. I left both windows open to cooling during the day. In worst case I could crawl through and drive away without exiting the camper through the door. Maybe there are uncomfortable situatation that is safer that way, imagination could run wild with possible situatations.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

^ and leaving that front window open is nice in that it is sheltered by the over cab.

To the OP, fwiw my front slider window frame is ~52x16" and the opening is ~ 23x13". That's plenty for a pass thru for us and we have used it for that purpose a few times (nice to have). Don't know what size window ATC is using but it "could" be the same as my old FWC because their constructions have a common ancestry. Kicker is going to be the truck slider which are often smaller than in the past, depending on model. Top of head I think our F350 opens to ~14x14" which could be a tight squeeze.

I think the higher FB camper height is typically less about the camper and more a function of the flat bed height - a flat bed deck typically built over the wheels rather than lower as with pick up tub. Of coarse this can be disputed, YMMV etc. From what I've read ATC should be able the adjust camper height to your spec.

#9 marengineer

marengineer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies! I was looking at an aftermarket sliding window for an F250 which would allow crawling through to the cabin in case of emergencies.

#10 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:47 AM

Will try to add to the already good answers.

1. When I ordered mine, painting was not an option. I looked into painting, but in the end had it wrapped. Matches pretty well and if it gets beat up or scratched, can be replaced.

2. Not sure.

3. On my old camper truck combo, yes I could crawl through. Dog loved it. With the newer setup, I don't have the option, my flatbed has a head-ache rack.

4. Most likely it will be 4-6 inches higher. Mine is around 8'8".

Good luck,

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users