13 replies to this topic

#1 Anchored nomad

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:50 AM

Are helper springs enough to make my 2016 Tacoma ride nice with a FWC Swift or Fleet Shell (planning on a load of around 800 lbs) I'm looking for the cheapest fix to adding this weight. I've heard air bags are a band aid, and quite frankly I'm not sure I can afford parts and labor for brand new leaf springs or full on suspension work.

Any suggestions for a dude on a budget trying to make the FWC thing work? 

#2 lactic

lactic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

I just added a Fleet shell on my Tacoma. Stock leaf springs with Firestone airbags. Rides ok for now but will redo the leaf packs once I get the weight dialed in.

Have you thought about doing the airbags and just have an extra leaf added by a local suspension shop?

Do you plan on leaving the camper on full time?

Edited by lactic, 09 March 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#3 fredrahm

fredrahm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:33 AM

Try to add a leaf first and see if you like it.  You can always add air bags later if you need them.

#4 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:36 AM

You'll find that some folks find the airbags to meet their needs.  I had a leaf added by the installer in Boise - Boise Spring Works.  Total cost for the leaf upgrade was $500 for my Tundra.  Looks like the Hellwig Pro helper springs are about $225 each, which would be about having a suspension shop add a leaf.  I had considered airbags, bump stops (Timbrens) but settled on the suspension work and have been pleased with how the camper rides.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#5 Anchored nomad

Anchored nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 02:41 AM

I just added a Fleet shell on my Tacoma. Stock leaf springs with Firestone airbags. Rides ok for now but will redo the leaf packs once I get the weight dialed in.
Have you thought about doing the airbags and just have an extra leaf added by a local suspension shop?
Do you plan on leaving the camper on full time?

So it’ll be on the truck full time for 2-3 months of the year. If mpgs are good it’ll be on full time, my plan is to only have it on during summer months though.

#6 bimmeryota

bimmeryota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:58 AM

Best thing is to build a spring for the weight being carried. It is the most expensive but leads to the best handling on all terrains. Airbags do meet many people’s needs, especially if they are primarily on the road only. I may have an airbag setup I can sell you to save you some money. I went with a custom leaf pack from Deaver so I’m not going back to bags. PM if interested.

1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5 XtraCab

3.4L V6 Supercharged, Auto, 33" BFG AT KO2, regeared to 4.70+ARB Rear Locker

1" Ball Joint Spacer front lift, KYB MonoMax

Load carrying: Custom Deaver spring packs

Camper: 2013 FWC Eagle with Silver Spur interior and outside shower

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

​I keep my Eagle on full time but the truck is basically stored during the winter unless we head south.   I would do as someone else suggested and put an extra leaf spring on.  Try Boise Spring Works (I think that's the name) as they also sell FWC's and quite a few people here have used them.  They'll get you dialed in.  My RAM only has coil springs on the back and I could but upgraded springs on but I went w/ airbags.  I had airbags on my Dakota prior to this truck too and they worked great.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:37 PM

If your suspension is stock you will in the least need air bags and probably an AAL. The AAL is the band-aid. Stock leafs are crappy. It really depends on what your real weight is loaded and unloaded and if you plan to keep the camper on the truck. Optimum choice as noted above is to have a custom leaf pack built for your needs.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#9 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:40 AM

Most any local spring shop can add a leaf to your stock rear packs for well under $500. That's the best way to go.

I had new complete packs made with 2 additional leaves for my Tundra by Deaver Spring. The cost wasn't much more than I mentioned above. They even made then specific for drivers and passenger side to eliminate the drivers side sag.

Edited by Squatch, 10 March 2018 - 01:42 AM.

#10 bryanmichaelmeyer

bryanmichaelmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationHalf Moon Bay and where my truck is parked

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

i have some firestones and then FINALLY did some OME heavy duty springs recently. that did the trick. The airbags were more maintenance than I liked. uninstalling my airbags soon. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: four wheel camper, camper, leaf springs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users