This popped into my inbox today... some ideas here too:

https://forums.trail...-campfire-meals

#32 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:37 AM

We eat really healthy at home, but that goes out the window when we camp.  What we fix changes with how long we camp.  We start out with things like fresh oysters over the fire with lemon sauce or steak the first days with fresh salads, then to frozen already prepared soups like chili or Thai soup or hobo packets in the campfire, then to freeze dried like Mountain House for dinners.  Breakfasts begin Aero Press coffee with bacon and eggs  then go to pre-mixed just add water pancakes then cereal.  Lunches start with sliced meats and cheese sandwiches then move to canned snacks like smoked clams and crackers, jerky or trail mix and cut vegis.  By the end of two weeks camping the refrig is pretty much just running to keep the IPA cold.

I always cook outside when it isn't raining, and sometimes when it is under the awning.  Love the smell of food when we are fixing it, but not so much for the next few hours after.  Plus in bear country I would prefer to never have to count on my bear spray.

#33 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:02 PM

Wow, great thread guys.

I agree with all that I have read here. We are constantly changing cooking plans to suit location, time of year, weather etc.

Have lived around Yellowstone for most of the last 30 years, animals are a consideration. We do cook in and outside, temps and weather being the biggest determining factor.

Bears are bears, if they want in, they can. Not much harder to go through a camper door than a tent. We try to keep things clean.

Water is another big thing, with dehydrated/freeze dries being used the most by me on my solo travels. Although, just did 13 days in so. Utah, and didn't eat any freeze dried at all.

We use a skottle a lot, two burner coleman and a small porty grill.

Camper has a two burner, and an engle.

Always changing the menu, one constant bubbly for the wife, bourbon for me.

Food is my friend. And enemy.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users