#1 dustent

dustent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWausau, WI

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:12 AM

Howdy friends -

I'm starting this thread to document my plans and progress - please ask questions and chime in!

I purchased a used 2012 ATC Panther from a gentlemen who listed it for sale on WTW (http://www.wanderthe...e-woodlands-tx/

). We picked it up last weekend and immediately started going to work on it.

Here is a video walk through I did when it was completely stock: https://youtu.be/bQZcxEhc24U

A little background - we are a family of 3 who has spent the last 5 years traveling half-time. My wife and I both work remotely, so we've been able to take our jobs on the road. We had been traveling in a highly customized Airstream (25FB) until earlier this year. We are expecting baby #2 this summer, so we've decided to upgrade to a larger Airstream (30RB) and add the pop-up camper as well. The pop-up camper will be acting as a remote office, as well as extra storage. The 30' Airstream has all the important stuff for a family to live in full-time on and off the grid (or it will when I'm done with it). We're planning on hitting the road full-time starting in early 2019!

We have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD w/Duramax as a tow vehicle. While the 2500HD has great payload, we needed to try to stay as light as possible given the ~850lb tongue weight of the Airstream. (We've got a Pro ProPride 3P weight distribution hitch that helps with the tongue weight as well.) The ATC Panther is a perfect match for what we are doing. I had originally considered doing a FWC Hawk shell, but really like that the ATC Panther has the sink/burner and fresh water tank. When I'm working it'll be nice to make coffee in "the office". 

Solar: This week I installed 2x100watt Renogy Monocrystalline panels on the roof. I used the Scotch Extreme double sided tape and Dicor caulk to hold them down - the same method I've used in the past on other RVs without issue. I'm waiting on one last piece of wire to arrive before completing the install. I'm using a Victron MPPT 75/15 solar controller with the Smart features. I really like the Victron app and being able to see everything from my phone. The Panther came with a single Exide deep cycle battery (31 series), I'm going to try to find another one like it locally, but may end up having to replace the current one in favor of two matching. I'm aware that ideally the batteries should match.

09e0be_8a90c501b45e469fb167f42f9b61412b~

09e0be_19c5e00e30e340e29a45018b1f32353b~

Roof Rack: The Panther came with the factory aluminum roof rack - which is nice but won't work to hold our Yakima roof box. I added an additional aluminum cross member to the factory rack, and added a new aluminum cross member just in front of the vent - using the existing roof screw holes and liberal amounts of Dicor to seal it up. The Yakima box is now mounted and looks solid. I'll post some pics when it's daylight, I finished up right as the sun was going down today.

While I was on the roof I also installed 60lb struts to help open the top, thanks to the mega-thread on the topic I was able to quickly and easily get those installed.

Layout: The factory couch setup isn't the best option for an office, so I've pulled out the couch seating and will be setup an L-shaped seating area with a pop-up table. Since I'm the only one that'll need to sit at the table, it make it a bit easier to make it work. We still want room for everyone to be able to sit and for it to fold into an L-shaped bed. I'll post pics as that takes shape! For now I'm enjoying the extra room inside.

09e0be_a55729607d8a4ce4869206f1148cd44a~

Interior: The interior in the Panther is great if you're into that wood grain look. I personally need something a little more modern. So...I found some peel and stick wallcovering that we're experimenting with. So far it's pretty great, we really like the look. At the same time, we're putting in some peel and stick vinyl flooring over the factory linoleum flooring.

09e0be_901d0babba384f518e57152bf3e3dc2b~

09e0be_b66c35047c36472a9021a82c0d47939f~

Not complete, but you get the idea. I'll do a walk through video and post when I'm done.

Anyways, that's enough for my first update. I'll post more as I make progress!

For those of you on Instagram you can find us at: https://www.instagram.com/tin.can.fam/

Edited by dustent, 23 March 2018 - 04:13 AM.

2012 ATC Panther/2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Instagram: @tin.can.fam

Blog: https://www.tin-can-fam.com

Breckenridge, CO + Wausau, WI

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 March 2018 - 04:35 AM

Congrats on the Panther dustent. Sounds like it'll make a nice office to compliment your airstream. If you don't already have the led's in your interior lighting they are a plus and easily plug in to the fixtures. I like the chrome door grab handle. When have an Engle mr40 in the location of you icebox if the measurements of the cabinets are the same it will be a nice fit. Good place for the creamer for the coffee. Didn't notice the fan, might want a fantastic fan, I think Jeff or Marty could tell you if there's power run or not. Post photos of your office when your done.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:22 AM

Congrats on your new camper! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 dustent

dustent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWausau, WI

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:10 PM

Congrats on the Panther dustent. Sounds like it'll make a nice office to compliment your airstream. If you don't already have the led's in your interior lighting they are a plus and easily plug in to the fixtures. I like the chrome door grab handle. When have an Engle mr40 in the location of you icebox if the measurements of the cabinets are the same it will be a nice fit. Good place for the creamer for the coffee. Didn't notice the fan, might want a fantastic fan, I think Jeff or Marty could tell you if there's power run or not. Post photos of your office when your done.

Russ

Thanks for the suggestions Russ!

I'll check out the LED replacement, good call, those old school lights draw so much power.

I'm not sure I need anything as big or fancy as the Engle fridge. I was thinking about trying to find a small dometic (or other brand) built-in fridge that'll run on propane. I'll have to search and see if anyone has done that, that's a little more involved with needing to vent the propane outside, where no hole exists currently.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:01 PM

dustent,welcome to the cult and also to the ATC family.

Looks like you have a nice clean camper to start your own mods.

The LEDs are easy and a battery saver.

They can be ordered on line or if you have a "Battery's Plus" store in your area they carry

a huge selection of LED bulbs. I like the idea of covering the factory floor covering.

I used  3/8" laminated flooring on on my Bobcat and it keeps way cleaner then the factory

light colored floor.

Thanks for posting.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

That flooring looks similar to what I used, but mine was the T&G style and I laid it out in the other direction.  

looking in... nice floor!

Why propane on the fridge?  You have solar already.  Get a DC only TruckFridge to fit the space you have and be happy!

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

Second the Truckfridge,they are great.

Vic I like the idea of the T&G over the factory floor,looks nice.

Mine is the kind that "clicks" together and has a nice pine finish.

I find it's much easier to keep clean and gives a nice look to the interior.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 dustent

dustent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationWausau, WI

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

That flooring looks similar to what I used, but mine was the T&G style and I laid it out in the other direction.  

Why propane on the fridge?  You have solar already.  Get a DC only TruckFridge to fit the space you have and be happy!

Does the TruckFridge TF130 fit the stock opening? Looks like a winner and if this crew vouches for it, it's gotta be good.

Lots of progress today - solar install finished and part of the new bench/dinette got built out. I'll post some pics when I can!

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

Does the TruckFridge TF130 fit the stock opening? Looks like a winner and if this crew vouches for it, it's gotta be good.

Lots of progress today - solar install finished and part of the new bench/dinette got built out. I'll post some pics when I can!

If you go to the Truckfridge site they give the measurements for all the models.

The portable one is also a great fridge.Several of us have them.

Frank

#10 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

Second the Truckfridge,they are great.

Vic I like the idea of the T&G over the factory floor,looks nice.

Mine is the kind that "clicks" together and has a nice pine finish.

I find it's much easier to keep clean and gives a nice look to the interior.

Frank

Likewise, click together here... makes it possible to pull up if needed.  And FYI... I ripped out the old floor before putting mine in.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users