#1 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

Does anyone know of a good quality camper cover for smaller campers like pop-ups? The smallest ones I'm finding are 4 feet longer and 2 feet wider than my camper. My roof is 136" x 86".

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

#2 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:49 PM

Luckily mine fits in my garage.

My motorcycle trailer doesn't and for the past 10 or so years I just cover it with a 12 x16 silver plastic tarp from HF for under $20. They seem to last 2 or 3 years. Looks a little ghetto but does the job.

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#3 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

I still have the catalogs from when I was in business and I can find anything close to pop-up size. 

#4 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 23 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Plastic tarps trap moisture but I guess the breathable ones are ok.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 March 2018 - 10:50 PM

Does anyone know of a good quality camper cover for smaller campers like pop-ups? The smallest ones I'm finding are 4 feet longer and 2 feet wider than my camper. My roof is 136" x 86".

You might check with a Marine Canvas shop to see what a Sunbrella cover would cost. San Diego should have a bunch, plus Newport.

If you have someone who is handy with a sewing machine (industrial) you could do it yourself. I’d have some vents sewn in on the top to keep things breathing.

I am haunted by waters

#6 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:26 PM

This caused me to see what I could buy for my camper.

I found several covers on amazon with zippered back door access but they appear to all be for non-pop up campers.

Some appear to be higher quality than others.

I do not own any of them.

https://www.amazon.c...per cover&ajr=0

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 23 March 2018 - 11:26 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#7 mrpeepers74

mrpeepers74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:09 AM

I'm not sure the answer to this but I find a lot of 22-24 ft covers made for travel trailers for sale on CL.

I'm considering one for my Grandby setup that measures out at 22 feet appx.

Seems bigger covers will provide maneuverability, but can flap in the wind. I expect the lifespan of a cover to last maybe 2 years in Arizona, anyone opt for a larger cover and strap it down?

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 09 June 2020 - 07:34 PM

I just bought two bags of 16 ea, 5/8" long, #8 stainless steel snaps with snap sockets and I will be installing them around the perimeter of the top.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The screws holding the top to the side material are  5/8" long #8 Robertson head screws.  I will replace one screw at each end of all four sides and and a few in the middle with the snaps. 

After removal of the original screws, each screw location will be cleaned with brake cleaner and then wiped with Isopropyl alcohol.  After cleaning and drying a small dab of 3M 4200 adhesive/sealant will be put on the threads of the snap screws and a small dab put around the hole under the head of the snap.

I will have a canvas "skirt" made with snap sockets in the appropriate locations that extends down to and a bit past the top of the Aluminum skin of the camper below the pop-up sides. 

Once installed I can leave my camper stored outside on its mobile platform with the top up and not have to worry about UV damage to the side fabric or creases in the fabric from storing it with the top down.

The snaps make installation and removal simple.  As a bonus the skirt can be used to create a dead air space between it and the fabric sides as extra "insulation" in cold weather.  Not sure yet if I will add pockets for foam panels, add reflextix or something else during the "skirt" fabrication.

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 09 June 2020 - 07:35 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:33 PM

Craig- please share pictures of this as you install, or as a summary. Very curious abput this project.

I just bought two bags of 16 ea, 5/8" long, #8 stainless steel snaps with snap sockets and I will be installing them around the perimeter of the top.

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The screws holding the top to the side material are 5/8" long #8 Robertson head screws. I will replace one screw at each end of all four sides and and a few in the middle with the snaps.

After removal of the original screws, each screw location will be cleaned with brake cleaner and then wiped with Isopropyl alcohol. After cleaning and drying a small dab of 3M 4200 adhesive/sealant will be put on the threads of the snap screws and a small dab put around the hole under the head of the snap.

I will have a canvas "skirt" made with snap sockets in the appropriate locations that extends down to and a bit past the top of the Aluminum skin of the camper below the pop-up sides.

Once installed I can leave my camper stored outside on its mobile platform with the top up and not have to worry about UV damage to the side fabric or creases in the fabric from storing it with the top down.

The snaps make installation and removal simple. As a bonus the skirt can be used to create a dead air space between it and the fabric sides as extra "insulation" in cold weather. Not sure yet if I will add pockets for foam panels, add reflextix or something else during the "skirt" fabrication.

Craig

2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users