options table kitchen dining dinette

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

I have a side dinette in my ATC Ocelot and like it. For me, the big consideration was light, not having the seat cushions blocking the window. Another big consideration was being able to use part of the dinette while the bed was still extended. We got the jumbo bed extension so we can sleep north-south which would negate the usage of a front dinette on cold mornings when my wife is still sleeping. I get up at five (lifelong habit) and my wife gets up much later.

#12 DesertDave

DesertDave

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationDayton NV

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

Either a side or front dinette seems like a big improvement over the couch setup I had in my first Grandby  I went with a front dinette in my current camper because I wanted the inside shower option.  I haven't used it often, but when I did, I was surely glad I had it.

If I had to do it over again, I 'might' go with a side dinette option, since I have seen a few creative ideas for a self-made inside shower, which would probably satisfy my occasional need.

2014 Grandby FD on a 2007 F350

#13 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 07 April 2018 - 03:29 PM

If you want a wider bed for sleeping (top-down or add'l guest) front dinette is the best choice. It depends on what your priorities are.

#14 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 07 April 2018 - 05:20 PM

I'd give an opinion on both but I only camp in one ... side dinette ... for Air Conditioning alone. 

Edited by Bombsight, 14 April 2018 - 01:57 AM.

#15 kluber

kluber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 April 2018 - 11:19 PM

My wife and I checked out the dinettes versus rollover couch.  I was dead set on a front or side dinette...but she got in the rollover couch version and said "Wow, there's so much more room in this one".  She has good instincts : )

We bought the rollover and have absolutely loved it.  We don't eat inside very often, so the lack of a dinette has never been an issue.   As said earlier, it's much easier to get in and out of bed too.  

Just sharing our experience!

It's just better out there :D 
2015 Fleet Rollover Couch
2017 Taco TRD Off Road

#16 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:07 AM

My wife and I checked out the dinettes versus rollover couch. I was dead set on a front or side dinette...but she got in the rollover couch version and said "Wow, there's so much more room in this one". She has good instincts : )

I agree, on the basis of my 2004 Hawk with an old-style bench seat, in which I have been traveling for 18 months.

The #1 necessity in a camper is storage space, and the large, "hidden" space behind the couch is a large and convenient storage area. Side & front dinettes also have some space in this area, but it is open and visible space rather than concealed, as in my old Hawk.

And the side window for use as a vantage point is overrated, IMO. The most comfortable and useful windows for viewing the outside are the ones in the raised top, along with the rear screen door.

Edited by LiveLifeNow, 08 April 2018 - 12:09 AM.

#17 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:36 AM

My wife and I checked out the dinettes versus rollover couch.  I was dead set on a front or side dinette...but she got in the rollover couch version and said "Wow, there's so much more room in this one".  She has good instincts : )

We bought the rollover and have absolutely loved it.  We don't eat inside very often, so the lack of a dinette has never been an issue.   As said earlier, it's much easier to get in and out of bed too.  

I agree as well. I wouldn't want either dinnette either. The couch with a properly mounted Lagun type table gives you a lot of options.

cwd
CWDT

#18 Oakleyrossi

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:42 AM

We just picked up our Hawk Side Dinette a couple months ago and only have 2 trips so far. For just the 2 of us so far we like it. Have spent a lot of time inside on those trips due to the weather and once it warms up most time will be spent outside. Works for us. I also did one night of stealth camping alone and while the SD wasn't ideal it also wasn't bad for one night. Not sure I would want to do too many in a row like that. We enjoy the window while sitting and having our coffee in the AM for sure

#19 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:03 AM

I agree as well. I wouldn't want either dinnette either. The couch with a properly mounted Lagun type table gives you a lot of options.

cwd

We have the rollover couch and no dinette as well.  We love this option.

We feel much more comfortable being able to lounge around (more like a living room) down below.  Having a meal has never been an issue.  We have the optional table, but never bring it.  Perhaps not elegant, but we're not typically sitting down to meals that fill more than one bowl or plate.  We hold the meal, use the counter top or set up a makeshift table.  The couch itself works too.  We're not children making a big mess.

It makes a great space for watching movies or relaxing before bed, with or without the couch rolled over.  When it is rolled over it's kind of like a big playpen.  Lots of space to stretch out in multiple positions.  There is still space to stand in the small gap between the rolled over couch and the kitchen counter, if needed.  It's also not very difficult to lift the couch up a tad to let someone in and out of the camper door.

I keep the camper on my daily driver full-time.  It's nice to have a small retreat to lay out on or lounge on with the top down.  No adjustments needed.

#20 Desert wanderer

Desert wanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationPlacerville, California

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:08 AM

I have actually owned two new four wheel campers in the last six years. The first I ordered was a side dinette. I chose it because I liked looking out the window and that is something that doesn’t really work in the front dinette. Ultimately however I had a few issues. The seat is narrow and I found the metal bracket that allowed it to fold over dug in if I tried to shift position sitting which because of back issues I wanted to do. When my son travelled with me it made a narrow and short bed that I felt bad making him sleep on. It lacked the storage of a front dinette (at least compared to a front dinette without a toilet.) ( second note the side dinette however had three drawers and the front just one – I liked the drawers) The table on the side dinette is also much smaller. So when Tom was getting close to selling the company I talked to him and decided to get a front dinette.

My observations. I do occasionally miss the window but not often. I find the FD seat much more comfortable. The FD kitchen layout is better when cooking for someone. The front dinette bed is better for travel guests. I got the inside shower and have really liked having that option on the odd occasion I’m in a public camp ground. When traveling alone I find it easier climbing up and down to the big bed ( I never use the pullout). In brief I like the front dinette as the seating is more comfortable, the storage is better, the layout seems smarter and it is kinder for travel guests. But at times I miss the window (and the drawers).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, table, kitchen, dining, dinette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users