• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:53 PM

Generally I think that springs or springs with air bags work well for those who leave their camper on all of the time because they can be tuned with shocks for the specific weight carried.  When I did that on a previous truck it worked great under load, but rode awful when empty.  I now run with airbags and upgraded shocks only because I take the camper off for the winter and like the ability to fully adjust the Tacoma when I do that.  Going to E rated tires with good sidewall protection just makes sense to deal with the weight and rocks and airing up and down on a lot of logging and BLM roads here in Oregon and other places.  It will negatively affect your MPG a little and give you a slightly rougher ride than the thinner stock tires- you can adjust for that a little by going from a 265/70/16 to a 265/75/16.  This will make your speed off by 2 or 3 MPH so not much change.  And as Rando said it may make sense to go even taller and narrower which I did on my VW Syncro but have not on the Tacoma.  I have a lot of miles on BFG E rated KO2 tires and have been satisfied with the traction, sidewall protection, and low road noise.  I ski so hit the road to Hood regularly -As said earlier they are snow flake tires and do OK in the snow, but not like real snow tires. 

#12 bj40

bj40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I think e rated, probably the KO 2s, air bags and upgraded shocks. Any recs on the shocks? Maybe Bilsteins, not sure on the model.

Taku, I have been over Teton pass about four times, always mid-winter, freezing cold, need to be paying close attention to the road, did I say freezing cold? I was there doing exterior siding and trim. I'd like to get back over there soon to the Idaho side to do some painting. Very beautiful country. 

#13 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:05 PM

I love the yokohama geolander A/T's on my Nissan Frontier with an Eagle shell. I've had a couple sets and gotten good service from them.  Definitely go with the LT rated tires for durability.  We do alot of mountain and desert backcountry roads and have never flatted.  If they don't make the exact size you have now look at different widths and aspect ratios.  Here's a good comparison calculator:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

I went narrower with a higher aspect ratio than stock so my tires are a little taller.  Have fun.

Edited by BillM, 29 April 2018 - 08:06 PM.

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#14 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:58 AM

I think it would be advantageous for all who are worried about overloading their trucks....and that probably means any 1/2 ton and possibly a 3/4 ton...

To FORGET the GVWR....for a moment

Weigh your truck when you are headed for the hills and compare the FRONT axle to the FRONT VIN rating and the same for the rear axle, compare what you get at the scales with the VIN REAR rating.

The point is to not overload either axle...if you do you are not within spec and should be aware of that. Once you understand that you will understand why guys add springs, bags, whatever to help raise the rear end of the truck, but the truck is still overloaded....all you have done is lifted the bed/camper to a level appearance.

If you were 1200 lbs under the front axle maximum, and 1200 over the rear axle maximum you might still be under the GVWR but you are no longer within spec....and I say "within spec" in lieu of just saying NOT SAFELY LOADED.

Hey, it's your rig and your life out there if for some reason something happens and you blow a rear tire or some semi coming the other way has enough headwind or tailwind to cause you to swerve....not a pretty picture!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#15 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:00 AM

Oh yeah....to answer the OP....just look at the VIN tag to find out what  tire the mfger recommends when you are SAFELY loaded. That is a minimum also....load range E tires for 3/4 ton trucks rather than the "P" range passenger tires should be considered with a loaded rig.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, Bobcat, ATC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users