Photo
- - - - -

Additonal Sleeping Platform Mod in Panther?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jgustine

jgustine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:35 PM

New the forum as I've just started process of getting my ATC build started. We have been pop-up campers for awhile, but are big rafters and mountain people that ready are to leave the campgrounds behind for good!

Anyway, it's me, my wife and 2 boys (11 and 7) so I am looking at a slightly modified Panther to ride in my tundra 6.5 ft bed. I was thinking of asking Marty if they could build a removable platform that would go over the sink/stove area and sit flush with the top of the refer cabinet (or I could do the mod after). Ideally this platform could be my table top as well. See attached photos, sorry for the crude markup

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Panther owners...Does this sound feasible for a kiddos sleeping spot? How wide is the counter on the driver side? Has anyone done anything like this or added a 4th sleeping platform in any other way? 

One more...External propane hookup for a grill/stove...Doable? 

Thanks for any insight and I'm pumped to be part of this great forum. 

James

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:03 AM

It is absolutely doable.  I'm sure ATC could make a two piece cushion to fit the counter top and it would travel stacked on top of the stove/sink area.  I have the over cab bed extension on my Panther and that is where the cushions travel.  Mine is the standard size extended bed.

My camper isn't here at the house so I can't measure it but I'm thinking the counter top must be at least 24" wide.

Another option would be to have ATC do a 24" extension on the over cab bed and sleep north/south.  In a Panther that bed would be >80" wide and you could sleep 3 people on the bed.

Propane - On my old FTC camper, I added a T where the hose connects to the tank connector.  The T allowed me to connect coleman type hose to operate a stove or grill. 

Marshall%20Tee.jpg

I've gotten to where I carry a small 5lb cylinder for outside use.  It fits under the bench.  But I'm thinking of adding a mount to carry it on the outside back wall.

AT-5-lb-propane-bracket-1__29364.1405342

Edited by jimjxsn, 13 April 2018 - 01:14 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:17 AM

We use a "y" connector on the propane tank to hook up our camp stove outside. Leave the hose connected and coil it up inside the propane box. We have an adapter to also use the small 1 lb bottles when we want to cook away from the camper.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

How about asking them to put a grandby sized front dinette into the camper?  This is essentially the size of a double bed.   The kids could sleep side by side down below, and you'd have a table for four (albeit a tight one!)

fwc15.jpg

Or a rollover couch mounted to the front wall could also provide sleeping for two on the lower level.

b2588fe2aba4a4e19973ca9c7580bec5.jpg

#5 jgustine

jgustine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

I like the grandby sized front dinette alot, but I don't think it would be doable in a 6.5 foot bed ( and I don't want to roll with the tailgate open. I'll see what Marty thinks about the removable platform/table and update this thread.

Propane: Probably just gonna put a T on the propane tank and keep the hose rolled up in the compartment. Just need to make sure and get the awning on the propane tank side so I can set up my outdoor kitchen under it. 

Thank again all! 

#6 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

I can't imagine the logistics of using that space to sleep would work out very well. First of all it is very narrow and higher so would be hard to climb up and down on. Also you would have no storage space for anything inside the camper when bedtime came around. You'd have to clear off the entire countertop and the only remaining space would be the floor walkway.

How about a drop-down bunk that would go over the roll out couch or side dinette area?

#7 jgustine

jgustine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

Good point fireball. I asked ATC about a murphy bed style option, which they said wouldn't work. This would be perfect, but I'm not sure how you would pull it off with a soft sided camper.

rv-fold-down-bed-lance-review-truck-camper-magazine-up-couch.jpg

Edited by jgustine, 13 April 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#8 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Good point fireball. I asked ATC about a murphy bed style option, which they said wouldn't work. This would be perfect, but I'm not sure how you would pull it off with a soft sided camper.

attachicon.gifrv-fold-down-bed-lance-review-truck-camper-magazine-up-couch.jpg

You have the right idea, just "upside down".  You need to support it from below.  You pictured flexible straps from above.  For a popup, you need rigid struts from below.

#9 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

PM sent to you.

#10 jasona

jasona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:00 AM

What options are you having ATC put in the camper? The campers have a lot of usable space and can easily suit your needs if you plan it out right. I’ve built out a hawk shell and a panther shell and both would easily sleep two adults and two kids with a decent amount of storage. The layout that FWC and ATC is good for most but doesn’t fit everyone’s needs. ATC is very accommodating to custom builds and is ultimately why I went with ATC over FWC. I have some time today and will update my post so you can get a better look at my camper, it might help to strike an idea. The post is new all terrain shell build. Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users