9 replies to this topic

#1 LivingxNowhere

LivingxNowhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

Hey guys,

Just bought a Hawk and was told by the place who sold it to me to buy the Atacama 79w flexible panel. I received it and have no clue how to connect. If I swap out the original plug with one that fits the rear connection port, how do I install the charge controller?

This is all super new to me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:33 AM

Hmmm

Congrats on joining the FWC family!

However, where did you buy it that suggested a 79watt flex panel??

Do you have the yakima tracks by chance?

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:46 AM

Is this what you have Atacama 79w flex panel?  If it is, take it back and read the flexible solar thread.  You can buy a lot more power for less money. I have never heard of Atacama panels, can you give us some more information on the panel? Does it have a controller or just a panel where you need a controller in the truck.  You should be able to get the information you need here on WTW.

PS. Found another Atacama  panel. All I can say is WOW!

Edited by billharr, 16 April 2018 - 02:53 AM.

#4 LivingxNowhere

LivingxNowhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:58 AM

Hmmm

Congrats on joining the FWC family!

However, where did you buy it that suggested a 79watt flex panel??

Do you have the yakima tracks by chance?

Hey!! Thanks, been in it a week and couldn't be happier.

I picked up the camper from adventure trailers in Arizona. I suppose I should have done more homework, I just assumed that when asking what panel would work best with it, I'd get a solid answer.

And yep, I have the tracks.

Edited by LivingxNowhere, 16 April 2018 - 03:00 AM.

#5 LivingxNowhere

LivingxNowhere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:05 AM

Is this what you have Atacama 79w flex panel? If it is, take it back and read the flexible solar thread. You can buy a lot more power for less money. I have never heard of Atacama panels, can you give us some more information on the panel? Does it have a controller or just a panel where you need a controller in the truck. You should be able to get the information you need here on WTW.

PS. Found another Atacama panel. All I can say is WOW!

Yeah, that's the kit in your first link. It comes with the controller that has the plug meant for the panel, a spot to connect to the battery, and a spot to connect to a fuse. Based on my camper setup, I can't seem to figure out what to do. This is my first time using solar so unfortunately a bit clueless and not eager to screw anything up.

Will read over that thread -- thanks!

#6 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 03:16 AM

Hey!! Thanks, been in it a week and couldn't be happier.

I picked up the camper from adventure trailers in Arizona. I suppose I should have done more homework, I just assumed that when asking what panel would work best with it, I'd get a solid answer.

And yep, I have the tracks.

Wowzers.. yeah... return it... You can put together a MUCH more powerful/useful system together very easily for MUCH less than that!

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#7 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:33 PM

Check out the thread below where I describe the wiring of a roof-mounted solar panel in a hawk.  I have the tracks and mounted a Renogy 100 watt rigid panel.  There are several threads on here where folks suggest good options for mounting design of flexible and rigid panels.  Perhaps you want to do a portable set-up and not a roof mount.  There are several more economical options out there.

http://www.wanderthe...very-2017-hawk/

Another thing to consider is a battery monitor.  You should be generally okay using the FWC battery monitor to keep you above 50%, but if you want accurate battery data, checkout Victron or Trimetric battery monitors.

Cheers

Edited by Karlton, 16 April 2018 - 02:05 PM.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

Saw this and thought of you. At Costco 100 watt panel w/charge controller $119.00

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:30 PM

Congrats on the Hawk, but ouch on the solar.   I am unimpressed that Adventure Trailers took advantage by selling you that panel.  As others have said - return it if you can, or sell it and put the proceeds to something more appropriate.   If you want fixed mount, a rigid panel that spans the yakima tracks is a great option. 

If you want something portable, you could either buy a much cheaper kit such as the costco one above or put something together using a lightweight semi flexible panels like these: https://www.solarblv...-solar-panel-3/

50% more power for 25% the price!

If you have the isortherm fridge, 80w is probably not enough power - 160W or so seems the be about what you need.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to WTW LivingxNowhere,

It sounds like your Hawk is new, it should be prewired for solar. After replacing the connector we can help you find and connect the proper wires. Cutting the connector off your panel may void the warranty, so be sure that's what you want.

Your 79 W panel may or may not be adequate, it all depends on where you camp and what options your camper has, let us know. There is plenty of expertise here to help with your install, but a bit more info would help us out.

What year is your Hawk (Newer campers are prewired for solar)?

What options are installed (How much power is required)?

What type of battery, what Amp-hour capacity is it?

Do you want a portable or permanent roof installation?

Do you camp in the desert with lots of sun, or forest in the winter?

Once again, Welcome to the forum!

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, Fwc, Atacama

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users