• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone, this is an awesome forum. We will be ordering through the Vancouver dealer.

On a side note with the whole buy local thing. I completely support that but in this case purchasing from Montana or North Dakota would be more local than Canada given the distances travelled and the time we've spent in each location!

#12 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:28 PM

I bought used and if I bought new I'm not sure what I'd do. The propane tank itself is fine - Transport Canada and DOT worked together on this to make them interchangable. With a propane leak detection system onboard this is enough for me to feel safe. The entire coast is wet so I feel if it work(ed) on the coast just south of me it's fine a few degrees higher. You will pay tax where ever you buy it (I paid at the border on crossing). There are very few used available in Canada - so that wasn't much of an option. CDC - used you don't pay it so that helps (there is no duty on USA made goods). I do know that in terms of parts you pay way more in Canada. I bought the installation kit in Seattle at $150US vs $400CAN. I know our dollar is way down but not THAT much. As for picking it up - just turned that into a trip. The way down we had to use a tent, but I backpack, winter camp with ski touring, etc so that wasn't a biggy. Oh at the border they only cared about tax collecion - they didn't even look at the camper. It doesn't touch the ground so Ministry of Transportation doesn't care about it.

Only issue I've heard is that you pay tax on entire amount paid, so you pay tax on the US tax you paid. Luckily I picked ours up in OR which has no sales tax.

#13 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:41 AM

We ordered our Hawk from Gary (the Canadian dealer) last fall and received our camper in January. I cannot recall all the specifics of the Canadian package, but I recall some changes were at the request of Gary based on his insight and experiences in our Canadian environment. I can say that dealing with Gary was an amazing and comforting experience from start to end. On our first visit my Wife and I spent 3 hours chatting with Gary, mainly about where we see our adventures taking us. We were invited into his home and sat at his kitchen table talking with him and his wife. Gary listened to what we thought we wanted in the way of options, and offered his opinions (based on his real world experiences here in Canada) which led us to change our minds on a few options. At the end of the whole experience, it's my belief that if Gary recommended certain changes or additions to our Canadian campers, then that is more than good enough for me.

Edited by trikebubble, 20 April 2018 - 04:42 AM.

#14 Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for all of the input! We will be ordering through the Canadian distrubter once we figure out what we want. This forum is a wealth of knowledge!

#15 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:45 PM

The propane tank itself is fine - Transport Canada and DOT worked together on this to make them interchangeable.

Do you have information to back up this statement.

I contacted Transport Canada when an attendant refused to fill my DOT certified tank in Canada because it did not have TC (Transport Canada) designation on the tank.

I also enquired about recertification and that is not an option either.

#16 N'kwala

N'kwala

Geezelle

• Members
  • 423 posts
  • Locationwest coast

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

I find much  of this discussion puzzling.  I bought a second-hand (third?) ATC/FWC hybrid some years back in the US.  I've brought it home to BC, filled the propane tank at least three times up here with no problems at all.  Had to have the tank recertified last fall--again no problems in Victoria.  Frankly, with all due respect, I find the argument for a  Canadian package a bit over the top--I've camped comfortably up here for a really wet week  on Vancouver Island, and quite chilly weather in Banff just last week.  (Quite chilly--got a bit above freezing during the days, froze hard at night.)  No problems.  No problems with meeting Canadian standards when I declared it at the border, either.  

I guess my experience is much like that of the wwkayaker...

#17 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

CSA B340 specifies the selection and use requirements for cylinder and tube specifications that are authorised for use in Canada by Subsection 5.10(2) of the TDG Regulations. This includes cylinders and tubes that have been in use in Canada for many years and that belong to one of the following groups of specifications:

• Cylinders and tubes that have been manufactured in accordance with CSA B339. These cylinders and tubes are commonly referred to as “TC specification” cylinders and tubes because the prefix marked before the specification designation is “TC”.
  • Cylinders and tubes that have been manufactured in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Hazardous Materials Regulations entitled Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States(49 CFR). These cylinders and tubes are commonly referred to as “DOT specification” cylinders and tubes because the prefix marked before the specification designation is “DOT”.

#18 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:56 PM

Mine is currently been recert for another 10 years - DOT designation on tank (FWC from OR). 

It makes sense - otherwise we'd have to allow transportation of dangerous goods thru Canada without meeting Canadian Safety OR not allow US citizens to use their propane cylinders when camping here in Canada (and likewise vise-versa).

#19 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 03:26 PM

I only question the CDC cost - there is no brokerage fees required if you buy it in the US and bring it back, no duty (NAFTA still stands for now at least :) but taxes are required as always (paid at the border). Also the Canadian package makes little sense - we have as much rain/moisture as WA coastal areas in Vancouver so why would FWC design something that doesn't do well in certain states? Propane - I already found we accept DOT so that cost they claim makes no sense, dealer prep?? Don't the dealers in the states do the same thing? Do they charge for it? I have no idea as I didn't buy new of course - anyone want to chime in - what did your dealer charge beyond your unit cost and taxes? Personally I think it comes down to volume of sales - we don't buy as many so price needs to be higher.

I think if I was to buy new I'd drive down to OR, buy and install there, and spend a week or so enjoying OR - I love the all of the coast. I'd choose OR to avoid paying taxes on taxes at the border and not having to deal with getting my US sales tax back (if I'd gone to say WA). But that's me - I travel for fun nearly every week so a trip to buy a camper (as I did for my used one) is just an excuse for fun - not a pain.

#20 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

I've been trying to recall the specifics of the mandatory Canadian package. I know that our Canadian models come standard with the aluminum jack brackets. I have the large 3-way fridge and it comes standard with the fan, I don't know if that is also standard in the US. I had though their were other items, but cannot seem to recall.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users