• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:47 PM

I just received my 100 watt solar panel from AM solar. It will be roof mounted using their "rocker feet" which elevate the panel for air flow and is attached via adhesive tape. My understanding is the connector on the bottom of the panel is an MC4. I inserted a pic so maybe someone can confirm it.

What type of connector is needed to plug into the rooftop plug on my 2017 FWC Fleet which was prewired for solar?

tn_gallery_7166_1147_59176.jpg

#2 badtoytrd

badtoytrd

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • LocationVA...for hopefully a short period of time...with WA on my mind

Posted 21 April 2018 - 01:23 AM

I just received my 100 watt solar panel from AM solar. It will be roof mounted using their "rocker feet" which elevate the panel for air flow and is attached via adhesive tape. My understanding is the connector on the bottom of the panel is an MC4. I inserted a pic so maybe someone can confirm it.

What type of connector is needed to plug into the rooftop plug on my 2017 FWC Fleet which was prewired for solar?

tn_gallery_7166_1147_59176.jpg

You are correct. That is an MC4. If your roof connector was installed by FWC you should have an SAE. You have 2 choices. One being buy an SAE to MC4 adapter or the other being cut the MC4 off and install an SAE connector which may void your warranty. I have heard that FWC has some 90 degree SAE connectors that they may be willing to sell you. I really wish FWC would go to an MC4 style connector. I just installed a 180 watt panel with the AM Solar mount and it is super nice and easy to install.  

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

2011 Four Wheel Campers Fleet

https://www.theadventuresofrubyd.com

#3 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,603 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:55 AM

MC4 to SAE2 pin flat adapter here. https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B01N1TALFY

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#4 Outnabout

Outnabout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 06:06 AM

I bought a couple of MC4 connectors and attached to the ends of the SAE plug wires and plugged the ones from the panel into the plug, basically he same as the adaptor but I made it myself. It was easy and works well.

Edited by Outnabout, 21 April 2018 - 06:08 AM.

#5 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:13 PM

I used the exact adaptor that Paul linked.  Not sure if you've noted, but the polarity will be reversed when you use the adaptor.  Thus, the red wire in your cabinet labeled 'roof solar' or something similar will be negative as a result of the Zamp port on the roof.  Check the polarity of the wires before completing install.  There are several threads discussing.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#6 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

Your camper should come with 2 right angle SAE plugs - you can either buy an MC4 jumper and make an adapter, or cut off the wires on the panel and solder on the SAE connector.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#7 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Renology is out of stock on the adapter and so far all other sources appear to also be out. So I may have to do the custom connector. I do not want to cut wires on the panel as that would void the warranty. I would  rather ship it back and get the correct connector but that is last choice option.

So, how exactly do I make the connector -never done much electrical work.

#8 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:36 PM

You can buy an MC4 jumper like this:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00IFWKBIG

Cut it in the middle, solder it to the ends of the SAE jumper that comes with the camper (mine came with about 18" of wire attached to the connector), heat shrink it and call it good.   You will need to do some figuring to get the polarity right though. 

Depending on where you mount the panel relative to the roof plug, you may be able to connect the SAE pigtail direct to the panel and do away with the jumper.   I personally wouldn't sweat the warranty -  in the extremely unlikely case that this dies after you install it, packaging/shipping the panel is more hassle than the cost of a new 100W panel. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#9 rustytinbender

rustytinbender

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:10 AM

I cut my MC4 connectors off the panels and wired to an SAE plug. When the 2 - 100 watt Renogy flexible panels failed they still warrantied them. Since then I have installed a 160 watt rigid and 120 watt flexible panel. Cut the ends off of those too and installed a SAE plug. They have been working fine.

As was mentioned before it's very important that you get the polarity right though.

#10 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

As stated above, CHECK POLARITY of the wires labeled solar in your battery bank, they will most likely be backwards.

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users