• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:15 AM

We love our outdoor shower on our Hallmark, but I never understood why there seems to be no standard way to enclose the area around the shower for privacy. The former owner used a tent pole precariously perched against the jack housings, with bungees to keep it from falling down (most of the time). I looked around online and didn't find anything better, so set out to design our own shower enclosure.

I made the "curtain rod" out of white PVC pipe to match the camper color, got some locking hinges online and slapped it all together with 1" wood screws and some dabs of Sikkaflex. Shower curtain and hooks were the most expensive part - about $50 for the two extra tall curtains and 2 dozen clip-closed easy-glide curtain hangers.

Installed Quick Fist clamps to hold the folded-down PVC frame in place (one required a standoff, which I made out of cutting board-thickness white plexiglass).

The horizontal PVC tube runs just along the bottom edge of the camper when folded down, where it won't interfere with opening the battery compartment door or obstruct access to the shore power or solar plug-ins.

Here are some photos of the finished product:

Attached Thumbnails

• shower enclosure folded down.jpg
  • Shower enclosure folded up.jpg
  • Hinge detail.jpg

Edited by DoGMAtix, 24 April 2018 - 05:24 AM.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L CTD short bed quad cab, 2008 Hallmark Guanella

#2 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:32 AM

Here are some more photos:

Attached Thumbnails

• Quick Fist up close.jpg
  • Shower enclosure with curtain.jpg
  • Shower enclosure with curtain front view.jpg

Edited by DoGMAtix, 24 April 2018 - 05:51 AM.

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

Nicely done !! You've given us some ideas ... folding hinge, eh ?

Are those grommet holes at the bottom corners of the curtain, maybe to secure it from wind ?

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

Great idea!
We have a stand alone showertent but this looks much easier to deploy and store.

Where did you get the hinges?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:12 PM

Those are actually weights. Some shower curtains come with weights (or even magnets) in the lower part of the curtain, to keep it hanging straight and/or attached to the side of a cast iron tub. My curtains each have 3 metal disks attached near the bottom contained in heat-pressed circles of extra vinyl curtain material. I presume they're weak magnets, though they don't stick to metal very well. When it's not windy they're sufficient to keep the curtain hanging straight. However, I plan to get a grommet tool to provide anchoring points for tent poles or net bags (to fill with rocks) to keep the curtain from blowing in the wind.

I also use binder clips (from office supply store) to clip the curtain to the side of the camper to keep it from blowing around. Also to close the opening in the middle where the two curtains meet.

I purposely made the enclosure large enough to allow for some curtain movement without risking a cold brush-up with a wet vinyl curtain. Also to avoid feeling claustrophobic. Ours places the curtain 36" away from the side of the camper, which feels just right. The down side is that in order to fit cleanly against the side wall of the camper when folded down, it has to be attached fairly high up. I can work the hinges and hang the curtain rod standing on tip toes (I'm 5'9"), but my wife will have to pull something over to stand on if I'm not around.

Another issue is that I didn't figure out a good way to seal the PVC tubes up top where the hinges attach. Rather than futz with this, I plan to only glue the PVC pipes on one side of each corner attachment (the side that hangs vertically in the stowed position) so I can pull the frame open and drain water. It should not be necessary to glue the other connections together since the quick fist clamps hold everything in position so well there's no way the horizontal tube can rattle off while driving. Alternatively, one could drill holes in the horizontal tube so it drains any water that accumulates.

#6 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hinge: I can't find my order info, but try searching for "S. Parker 8” folding shelf bracket."

Edited by DoGMAtix, 24 April 2018 - 06:51 PM.

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:46 PM

Yeah I figured magnets after posting. Funny, then I thought could use bulldog clips (what I call binder clips) to hold the bottom but seems you are already familiar with those !

Hadn't thought of water running in ...  then freezing. I like earplugs and bottle corks to plug holes. Could maybe silicon over top.

Great project !

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:49 PM

DoGMAtix,

Visit a fishing store and look for “pencil lead” or lead wire.

Like this in bulk. http://www.fisherman...-lead-wire.html

Unroll it and feed it into the folded bottom of the shower curtain to provide a distributed weight.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 DoGMAtix

DoGMAtix

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 06:54 PM

My curtain doesn’t have a hem at the bottom to put weights into. Seems like a trade-off between light weight and curtain stability. I went with light weight and it seems like a good decision because lifting the frame with a heavy curtain attached would stress the hinges and PVC connections.
If there were a hemmed pocket running along the bottom it would work to hang the curtain and then put weight in the bottom.
Or maybe better yet leave the bottom of the curtain alone and drive some long narrow stakes in at the corners and clip the curtain to them...

Edited by DoGMAtix, 24 April 2018 - 09:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: outdoor, shower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users